Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (37094 Views)

7 Most Prominent Public Secondary Schools In Nigeria And Their Famous Alumni PIX / JAMB Offices, Phone Number,address And Email In All 36 States Of Nigeria / 50 VOCABULARIES Of Patrick Obahiagbon &their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by IYANGBALI: 11:00am On May 28, 2015
jcmaiah:
I rep anambra.
no wonder grin
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Aitee1: 11:02am On May 28, 2015
kelvyn7:
why e be say na delta explanation short pass angry angry angry

So na delta you from shocked no wonder lipsrsealed

As for the short explanation. tongue tongue
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by ThisisBuhari: 11:04am On May 28, 2015
Chai!!!

OP You can lie..ooooo

The write-up on BORNO is 95% wrong.

I am a kanuri and from Borno.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:05am On May 28, 2015
May God bless the poster for this writeup... one of the best and most informative post i have read on nairaland, it even aded a fwe brain cells to my dying ones..
Thank you
infact i am even saving this post
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by kelvyn7: 11:05am On May 28, 2015
Aitee1:

no wonder i sharp abi ? grin grin grin

i be confam DELta Guy tongue

Original WARRI boi to the core cool

are u tripping ? tongue wink cheesy

hw far na??

long time, no quarel grin

i still dey lagos sha
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:08am On May 28, 2015
i know for a fact that soouk means market in arabic, i think there is a Dubai based website called Souq
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by meloo(m): 11:08am On May 28, 2015
educative but oh mehn i tire to read at a point especially dat boring adama watever story....make i save dis space sha
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:10am On May 28, 2015
4. ANAMBRA STATE
Okay, this is pretty straightforward. It was derived from the name of the Oma Mbala (Omambala) River (in Ibo, the native name of the river is Ànyịm Ọma Mbala). Anglicize the pronunciation and you have Madam NAFDAC’s homestate. The river is quite long o, about 210 kilometers, it is a major tributary of the River Niger, the most important below Lokoja. Yep! Let’s keep rolling.
grin grin
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by BlissB(f): 11:12am On May 28, 2015
Insightful!!!!
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Aitee1: 11:12am On May 28, 2015
kelvyn7:

no wonder i sharp abi ? grin grin grin

i be confam DELta Guy tongue

Original WARRI boi to the core cool

are u tripping ? tongue wink cheesy

hw far na??

long time, no quarel grin

i still dey lagos sha

Wey my ipad air

Warri wayo angry
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by kelvyn7: 11:14am On May 28, 2015
Aitee1:

Wey my ipad air

Warri wayo angry

hahahahahahaha grin grin grin

u no dey forget sometin sef ? cheesy u get sharp brain ooo grin

oya come lagos come collect am nau, i tell u say i don buy am

work dey hold me, i for bring am come give u ur place cool
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by emperor003: 11:15am On May 28, 2015
Bravo
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by lonelydora: 11:16am On May 28, 2015
And the Op forgot that Abia was taken from the Bible,

In the book of Matthew

And Asa begat Abia ........and so on

and hence "God's own state". Good job though
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by VickyRotex(f): 11:17am On May 28, 2015
Informative!!!

Nice one Op.

Tho I maintain my doubts about some meanings.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Aitee1: 11:17am On May 28, 2015
kelvyn7:

hahahahahahaha grin grin grin

u no dey forget sometin sef ? cheesy u get sharp brain ooo grin

oya come lagos come collect am nau, i tell u say i don buy am

work dey hold me, i for bring am come give u ur place cool

Waybill it sad
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by kelvyn7: 11:21am On May 28, 2015
Aitee1:

Waybill it sad

oooo, i dnt do waybill ooo

i hav lost goods to it in the past cry

oya give me ur address and phone angry

08033******, dats my 3rd line cool cheesy grin tongue

watsapp me
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by winnieG1(m): 11:24am On May 28, 2015
OP , you are wrong with Anambra
Anambra is derived from Omambala river. Just like Nigeria derived her name as area surrounding River Niger, In Igbo dialect, Ana = land and the land/ area surrounding Omambala River is Anambala. the core Anambrarians pronounce it as Anambala but to westernize the name, Nigeria pronouced it as Anambra. Just ask average Anambrarian to pronouce the name of their state and you will be marveled at what you hear.

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by kelvyn7: 11:25am On May 28, 2015
Aitee1:

...lest i forget...

and thanks for the compliment dat i am a sharp Delta guy cool grin grin
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by timota(m): 11:31am On May 28, 2015
Akwa ibom is not named after any qua iboe river. It is named after God the original name is Akwa Abasi Ibom state. Akwa means great,Abasi means God,Ibom means universe. So it means great God of the universe state or great universe state. That is why the state is known as the land of promise

3 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Realfiness(m): 11:33am On May 28, 2015
adanduka:
ABIA if true is interesting.
The Anambra Omambala doesn't add up though.
Learning ...
they are very true. Am from Abia, my mum from Anambra. I've heard the stories before
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Bigcake: 11:33am On May 28, 2015
OP I disagree with you about Akwa Ibom state. The full name of the state is simply Akwa Abasi Ibom state. Meaning the nation of the God Almighty.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by ricsman(m): 11:39am On May 28, 2015
BlissB:
Insightful!!!!
yeah
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by SYLVESTER777: 11:47am On May 28, 2015
OP: YOU FOR PUT THE MAP OF NIGERIA FOR THE POST NA! ANYWAY I LIKE THE POST VERY EDUCATIVE,NOT SOME USELESS POST THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL COME HERE AND WASTE PEOPLE"s EYE AND TIME FOR READING.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Judolisco(m): 11:54am On May 28, 2015
i rep kogi
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 28, 2015
abia state now=aba, bende, isuikwuato, arochukwu. I have the feeling that you did not include all the states... still thinking though.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by dotna(m): 12:22pm On May 28, 2015
wow, read everything. History can be so amazing.

Ànyịm Ọma Mbala cool
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 28, 2015
Op, we (Mbaises) don't worship Imo River, kindly note cool sad
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by jydux(m): 12:40pm On May 28, 2015
OP.. pls carry on.. Im feeling u
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by soloehis(m): 12:50pm On May 28, 2015
sholly007:

http://naijarchives.com/36-states-of-nigeria-and-their-meanings/
point of correction on Edo..edo from history was a name of an old woman who helped one of the eldest son of Oba to reclaim his throne from his younger brother and died in the cause of helping out.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by SULBELL(m): 1:00pm On May 28, 2015
Thats an infomative and educative post. Kudos OP.
To those saying some of OP submission are false, pls we are in the 21st century, back up ur claims with logical references.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Gabreal1(m): 1:18pm On May 28, 2015
Aitee1:
Op kudos to you! Quite educating!!

Proudly Akwaibomite, Adoke clan! wink
female akwaibomites are usually blessed in the rare, i juss confirmed . . .nice to meet you ma, i'm an akwaibomite too smiley

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by chezzy13(f): 1:20pm On May 28, 2015
I love my Ebonyi state.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jim Ovia Scholarship For Nigerian Students 2016 - Full Details / 88-Year-Old Man Prepares For His Death, Dies A Day After Graduation (Photos) / OAU Sex For Mark: Monica Osagie Scored 45 And Not 33

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.