Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (37095 Views)

7 Most Prominent Public Secondary Schools In Nigeria And Their Famous Alumni PIX / JAMB Offices, Phone Number,address And Email In All 36 States Of Nigeria / 50 VOCABULARIES Of Patrick Obahiagbon &their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Hemanwel(m): 1:23pm On May 28, 2015
So,Kwara state was once West Central state and NEVER North Central?!!!
Were the Yorubas sleeping before they allowed their land to be taken over by the Abo.kis??To the extent,they have Emir of Ilorin and not Oba of Ilorin...Ayaf died o!
And not only did the Abo.kis take over Kwara state from my brothers from the Western region,they (Nupes = Abo.kis) also conquered the old Oyo Empire.
Na only when Yoruba people hear Igbo their prick dey stand...Oya make una threaten Abo.ki with Lagoon nah!!!..Lubbish!!!!

Modified: Mods Una dey kolo ni?Why are you people changing my words from Abo.ki to Northerner nah?!!!!
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by stinggy(m): 2:05pm On May 28, 2015
chimkaire:
Op, we (Mbaises) don't worship Imo River, kindly note cool sad

No, the enlightened ones still do undecided
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 28, 2015
stinggy:

No, the enlightened ones still do undecided
You aint telling me that undecided

sad
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by stinggy(m): 2:27pm On May 28, 2015
chimkaire:
You aint telling me that undecided

sad
You know I am cool
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by totit: 2:38pm On May 28, 2015
Hemanwel:
So,Kwara state was once West Central state and NEVER North Central?!!!
Were the Yorubas sleeping before they allowed their land to be taken over by the Abo.kis??To the extent,they have Emir of Ilorin and not Oba of Ilorin...Ayaf died o!
And not only did the Abo.kis take over Kwara state from my brothers from the Western region,they (Nupes = Abo.kis) also conquered the old Oyo Empire.
Na only when Yoruba people hear Igbo their prick dey stand...Oya make una threaten Abo.ki with Lagoon nah!!!..Lubbish!!!!

Modified: Mods Una dey kolo ni?Why are you people changing my words from Abo.ki to Northerner nah?!!!!

Will you just shu.t that finger/mouth of a thing?
Go to portharcourt and reclaim your snatched properties.
Useless thing must you ruin this beautiful thread?

Ode

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/44years-igbo-demand-n2-6tn-reparation-civil-war/
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by evesdon4u: 3:00pm On May 28, 2015
Quite informative...Nice work OP.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by RaeMystix: 4:45pm On May 28, 2015
Nice
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 28, 2015
IYANGBALI:
no wonder grin
Wonder no more.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by mfm04622: 5:16pm On May 28, 2015
In fact many of our states are named after rivers or body of water!
Rivers, Cross River, Delta, Akwa ibom Anambra, Imo, Ogun, Osun, kwara, Kogi, Benue, Niger and even Yobe!

Just knew that Akwa Ibom and Yobe are named after rivers. Thank you
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by tpiadotcom: 5:48pm On May 28, 2015
What is the meaning of Qua Iboe?

Were slaves by any chance shipped downstream there?
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Godblessamaechi: 7:54pm On May 28, 2015
[color=#006600][/color] nice post though. point of correction, Crocodiles does not mean Kaduna but kadina.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by datopaper(m): 8:45pm On May 28, 2015
Kk
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by toygod2: 8:58pm On May 28, 2015
cheesy grin wink
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Akan(m): 9:11pm On May 28, 2015
timota:
Akwa ibom is not named after any qua iboe river. It is named after God the original name is Akwa Abasi Ibom state. Akwa means great,Abasi means God,Ibom means universe. So it means great God of the universe state or great universe state. That is why the state is known as the land of promise

Da mbok sosongo
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by goodbay: 10:17pm On May 28, 2015
What a nice history of our states here in Nigeria.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by dljbd1(m): 10:28pm On May 28, 2015
Happy Birthday Initialize cool

cc: Neckyblue Stancity cheesy
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by vickrino(m): 10:47pm On May 28, 2015
Nice one
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by vickrino(m): 10:48pm On May 28, 2015
Nice 1
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by prelomo: 11:06pm On May 28, 2015
[quote author=lalasticlala post=34170541][/quote]
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Ubenedictus(m): 11:14pm On May 28, 2015
You tried, but the Edo story isn't exactly correct.

The former Kingdom wasn't called Edo it was, "Igodomigodo"or "Igodo" for short. The name changed during the Kingship of the Oba Ogun, when the Oba was a boy he was a pain in the butt, since he didn't live in the palace, he lived in the bush as an outlaw.
When it was about his father's death the Chiefs believed that Ogun was unfit to rule so they planed to kill him, Edo is the name of the servant of the High Cheif who releaved the plan to prince Ogun and saved him. After the high chief found out he had been betrayed he killed the servant.

That experience marked the Oba Ogun for life and when he ascended the stool of his father he named the whole kingdom, the people of the capital, the language and the society "Edo" after the servant who died for him.

That is why Edo is the only people I know who call both their landmass, cultural identity, language, and capital Edo.

If you are in Edo state it is usual to here people from bini and Esan people say "I shi Edo", i.e I am going to edo instead of I am going to Benin.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Ubenedictus(m): 11:27pm On May 28, 2015
soloehis:
point of correction on Edo..edo from history was a name of an old woman who helped one of the eldest son of Oba to reclaim his throne from his younger brother and died in the cause of helping out.

this is closer to the truth.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by soloehis(m): 4:24pm On May 29, 2015
Ubenedictus:

The former Kingdom wasn't called Edo it was, "Igodomigodo"or "Igodo" for short. The name changed during the Kingship of the Oba Ogun, when the Oba was a boy he was a pain in the butt, since he didn't live in the palace, he lived in the bush as an outlaw.
When it was about his father's death the Chiefs believed that Ogun was unfit to rule so they planed to kill him, Edo is the name of the servant of the High Cheif who releaved the plan to prince Ogun and saved him. After the high chief found out he had been betrayed he killed the servant.

That experience marked the Oba Ogun for life and when he ascended the stool of his father he named the whole kingdom, the people of the capital, the language and the society "Edo" after the servant who died for him.

That is why Edo is the only people I know who call both their landmass, cultural identity, language, and capital Edo.

If you are in Edo state it is usual to here people from bini and Esan people say "I shi Edo", i.e I am going to edo instead of I am going to Benin.
correct
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by soloehis(m): 4:24pm On May 29, 2015
Ubenedictus:

When it was about his father's death the Chiefs believed that Ogun was unfit to rule so they planed to kill him, Edo is the name of the servant of the High Cheif who releaved the plan to prince Ogun and saved him. After the high chief found out he had been betrayed he killed the servant.correct

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

88-Year-Old Man Prepares For His Death, Dies A Day After Graduation (Photos) / OAU Sex For Mark: Monica Osagie Scored 45 And Not 33 / Signing Out Pictures Of A Unilorin Nairalander!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.