Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Nairalander's Trip To Kenya - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairalander's Trip To Kenya (54541 Views)

My Trip To Kenya In Pictures / Pictures Of A Nairalander Trip To Ghana / A Nairalander's Trip To New Zealand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 20, 2015
ffo:

yes, i want to go to Mombasa, but i was told its not safe becuase of Al-shabab, they are attacking the coaster cities
travel advisories were lifted in some parts of the coast. mombasa is the largest city at the coast, you should have paid a visit to the south coast, diani in mombasa. that place is beautiful. its been voted most beautiful coast in Africa three times in five years. goodluck Jonathan is on a holiday there right now
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 9:27am On Aug 20, 2015
denisfidha:

travel advisories were lifted in some parts of the coast. mombasa is the largest city at the coast, you should have paid a visit to the south coast, diani in mombasa. that place is beautiful. its been voted most beautiful coast in Africa three times in five years. goodluck Jonathan is on a holiday there right now
yes, you are right, its just fear. but i though GEJ is in Masai Mara.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 20, 2015
ffo:

yes, you are right, its just fear. but i though GEJ is in Masai Mara.
he took a little detour to the beach

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 10:14am On Aug 20, 2015
denisfidha:
he took a little detour to the beach

ok. you are right. Although im planning to go to Kenya again b4 the end of the year for holiday. i just love the environment.

thanks
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2015
ffo:

ok. you are right. Although im planning to go to Kenya again b4 the end of the year for holiday. i just love the environment.

thanks
close to December is the highlight, it's the festive season, everyone is on holiday, traders selling souvenirs are full of products, it's usually more fun

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2015
ffo:

thanks
close to December is the highlight, it's the festive season, everyone is on holiday, traders selling souvenirs are full of products, it's usually more fun at the beach
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 10:24am On Aug 20, 2015
denisfidha:
close to December is the highlight, it's the festive season, everyone is on holiday, traders selling souvenirs are full of products, it's usually more fun at the beach

WAO, cant wait then.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Miami11: 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
ffo:

WAO, cant wait then.
Looks like you and your wife had fun in kenya
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
Miami11:

Looks like you and your wife had fun in kenya

yea. we did. the sight seeing , the environment, the animals and the people. we are africans dont appreciate it much like the white
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Bifwoli: 10:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
claremont:

The white stuff is called Ugali, a maize meal.

I can see you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday in Kenya. I have been there thrice; twice officially and once on a personal holiday, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It is a good thing you are married, Kenyan ladies have a soft spot for Nigerian guys for some reason. They love our swag. grin

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Kenya.Contrary to what some Nigerians wrongly believe ,its actually a very good thing to see Nigerians and other brothers from accross the continent residing in Kenya.Its culturally enriching to all and creates more openmindedness,lowering barriers and creating new horizons + experiences.

A few deportations here and there shouldn't ruin all that rich fabric of shared benefits and law abiding Nigerians are certainly welcome to Kenya.If all Nigerians (and other africans) in Kenya left it would be terrible and would send a very bad message.A country where no foreigners want to live in is a terrible nation .

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by scofield2016: 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2019
WHAT YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT KENYA VISA EXTENSION

One of the problems tourists face in Kenya, just like in other countries, is getting bounced on arrival or after a while because their visa got expired or has a close expiration date. We at Travel Beta believe nothing should steal into the time you have to tour Kenya not even an expired Visa.

To gain entry into Kenya, you need to possess a valid Kenyan visa. You can obtain this visa before you enter the country or once you touchdown at the airport. The Ordinary single Journey Visa which goes for about US$50/€40/UK£30, can be obtained on arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. Most Kenyan Visas, once issued, are valid for 90 days, regardless of when you applied for it. For you not to be denied a visa extension, we advise you to make necessary consultations with the Kenyan missions in the country you’re traveling from into Kenya.

https://blog.travelbeta.com/what-you-must-know-about-kenya-visa-extension/
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 6:37pm On Dec 04, 2019
ffo:
Hi all,

I made a trip to Kenya few days back went to a lot of places Nairobi, Msai, Maba village, etc. I went with my wife, took a lot of pics. Want to share some with you guys.

pix 1: Waiting at the Nnamdi Azikwe Airport Abuja
2: on board (Ethiopian Airline)
3: At the Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. I met a Kenya guy who said he like Jim Iyke and Genevieve, he demanded for cash from me, i gave him N500
4: at the hotel room, its very cold in Kenya compared to Nigeria, temperature is about 20 C, you can hardly find AC in their hotel rooms

Most business in Kenya depend on power (electricity) from the government (PHCN), they hardly interrupt their power compared to Nigeria. they dont use generators, they worst you can see is Inverter

Hi

Thanks for this interesting post. I want to ask for advice from you with regard to cost of traveling to Kenya.

My company will be sending me to Kenya on a five days trip. I was asked to submit a written request of the amount I would be needing for the trip.

I projected $5500 as the amount that will be required for the trip. Here is the rough breakdown of my budget:

Return ticket $ 1500

Hotel for five nights $ 650

Other things such as cost
of transportation, feeding,
etc. . $ 3350

I decided to ask you for advice since you have been there and you know how the place is. Hope this budget is okay, and will not look too high if I submit to the company? Thanks
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 1:23pm On Dec 05, 2019
TheAviator:

Hi

Thanks for this interesting post. I want to ask for advice from you with regard to cost of traveling to Kenya.

My company will be sending me to Kenya on a five days trip. I was asked to submit a written request of the amount I would be needing for the trip.

I projected $5500 as the amount that will be required for the trip. Here is the rough breakdown of my budget:

Return ticket $ 1500

etc. . $ 3350

I decided to ask you for advice since you have been there and you know how the place is. Hope this budget is okay, and will not look too high if I submit to the company? Thanks

your budget looks good.

you can book for hotel using bookings.com, you have different rates depending on the location and the type of room.
then for flight Ethiopian airline is cheaper.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 5:55am On Dec 06, 2019
ffo:

your budget looks good.

you can book for hotel using bookings.com, you have different rates depending on the location and the type of room.

Thanks very much. I will book for hotel on bookings.com as you have adviced.

I have been considering Emirates, but now that you have suggested that Ethiopian airline is cheaper, I will check with them. I had thought that Emirates is cheaper.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 7:53am On Dec 06, 2019
TheAviator:

Thanks very much. I will book for hotel on bookings.com as you have adviced.

I have been considering Emirates, but now that you have suggested that Ethiopian airline is cheaper, I will check with them. I had thought that Emirates is cheaper.
You can also flight comparison with cheaponair.com ; tripadvisor.com; travelstart.com etc
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 1:45pm On Dec 06, 2019
ffo:

You can also flight comparison with cheaponair.com ; tripadvisor.com; travelstart.com etc
Thanks a lot
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by mjay2018: 3:43pm On Dec 06, 2019
ffo:

Check wakanow.com too they are okay. Av used them severally and they help you compare prices and you can walk into their office and pay in naira or resolve issues.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 4:18pm On Dec 06, 2019
ffo:

your budget looks good.

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 4:22pm On Dec 06, 2019
TheAviator:

Hi

Return ticket $ 1500

etc. . $ 3350

Your budget is very high. Don't submit it to your company in that form; they will think you are out to cheat them. $5,500 for a five days trip is $1,100 a day. Only politicians do that.

I go to Kenya fairly frequently (have been there twice this year, and will be there again in February).

Your most expensive round-trip ticket to Nairobi is about $750 to $800 (Kenya Airways). Ethiopian Airlines and Rwandair are slightly cheaper. Taking Emirates doesn't make sense unless you want to go to Dubai for some other reason, as you save nothing at all and fly for 7 hours from west Africa to Asia and for 5 hours back to east Africa.

KQ has a direct flight 5 days a week that takes from 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Ethiopian Airlines has the disadvantage that it arrives around 2 am in Nairobi. Never flown Rwandair to Nairobi, only to Kigali.

Depending on what your company's travel policy allows you (we get 3 star hotels), then budget from $60 to 80 a day for hotel room accommodation, meals another $25 - 30 each. The Ibis Styles has a US$80 room rate. If you are allowed 5 star accommodation, then you can start to make a hole in your projected US$1,100 daily. The hotel I always use is in an area called Westlands, which is comparable to say Ikeja GRA in Lagos, with a good number of wazungu (oyibo) staying all around the area, so that gives you an idea. There are lots of malls and restaurants in the area where one can eat and hang out.

Your projected cost of transportation and feeding at more than US$3,300 for 5 days - my goodness, that's about 1.2 million naira you just budgeted there.

For moving around there's Uber (much better cars there than the clapped out and occasionally rickety Corollas we use here, and for inter-town transport, there's the train to Mombasa at $US10 economy class, and if you need to travel to Naivasha or Kisumu, that's about 2 and a half hours to 3 and a half hours driving distance respectively.

You haven't said whether your trip to Kenya will require you to travel round the whole country in five days by air, because that is the only way one can spend 1,000 USD a day. Even if one was going on safari, one wouldn't spend that much.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ffo(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2019
mjay2018:

Check wakanow.com too they are okay. Av used them severally and they help you compare prices and you can walk into their office and pay in naira or resolve issues.
Best bet is to use them to compare prices and book directly with d airline. If you have issues or you want to reschedule your flight, their charges are high talking from experience.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Pavore9: 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2019
Cyberknight:

Your budget is very high. Don't submit it to your company in that form; they will think you are out to cheat them. $5,500 for a five days trip is $1,100 a day. Only politicians do that.

I go to Kenya fairly frequently (have been there twice this year, and will be there again in February).

Your most expensive round-trip ticket to Nairobi is about $750 to $800 (Kenya Airways). Ethiopian Airlines and Rwandair are slightly cheaper. Taking Emirates doesn't make sense unless you want to go to Dubai for some other reason, as you save nothing at all and fly for 7 hours from west Africa to Asia and for 5 hours back to east Africa.

KQ has a direct flight 5 days a week that takes from 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Ethiopian Airlines has the disadvantage that it arrives around 2 am in Nairobi. Never flown Rwandair to Nairobi, only to Kigali.

Depending on what your company's travel policy allows you (we get 3 star hotels), then budget from $60 to 80 a day for hotel room accommodation, meals another $25 - 30 each. The Ibis Styles has a US$80 room rate. If you are allowed 5 star accommodation, then you can start to make a hole in your projected US$1,100 daily. The hotel I always use is in an area called Westlands, which is comparable to say Ikeja GRA in Lagos, with a good number of wazungu (oyibo) staying all around the area, so that gives you an idea. There are lots of malls and restaurants in the area where one can eat and hang out.

Your projected cost of transportation and feeding at more than US$3,300 for 5 days - my goodness, that's about 1.2 million naira you just budgeted there.

For moving around there's Uber (much better cars there than the clapped out and occasionally rickety Corollas we use here, and for inter-town transport, there's the train to Mombasa at $US10 economy class, and if you need to travel to Naivasha or Kisumu, that's about 2 and a half hours to 3 and a half hours driving distance respectively.

You haven't said whether your trip to Kenya will require you to travel round the whole country in five days by air, because that is the only way one can spend 1,000 USD a day. Even if one was going on safari, one wouldn't spend that much.

Well captured.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 11:38pm On Dec 07, 2019
Cyberknight:

I don't think what I wrote indicated $1,100 per day for five days. Anyway, the destination has been changed. Now, the program is to be held in Kampala, and no longer Nairobi. From my search on the internet, it seems Uganda is more expensive. It also looks like there is no direct flight from here to Kampala. I think the best option for me even to Uganda is still Kenya airways. Ethiopia airways layover in Addis Ababa is longer than Kenya airways layover in Nairobi, hence Kenya airways looks better.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 6:25am On Dec 08, 2019
TheAviator:

I don't think what I wrote indicated $1,100 per day for five days. Anyway, the destination has been changed. Now, the program is to be held in Kampala, and no longer Nairobi. From my search on the internet, it seems Uganda is more expensive. It also looks like there is no direct flight from here to Kampala. I think the best option for me even to Uganda is still Kenya airways. Ethiopia airways layover in Addis Ababa is longer than Kenya airways layover in Nairobi, hence Kenya airways looks better.

Due to airline pricing systems, indirect flights transiting through a hub (Nairobi in this case) are usually cheaper than the direct flight to the hub city. For instance on my last trip to Kampala, when I took 4 flights (Lagos - Nairobi, Nairobi - Entebbe (Uganda's international airport is in Entebbe, not Kampala), Entebbe - Nairobi, then Nairobi - Lagos), the trip cost US$650 as opposed to the previously mentioned average of US$750 - 800 for the direct two-way Lagos to Nairobi and back.

However, KQ's Entebbe flights all leave before their Lagos flight arrives Nairobi (7 pm East Africa time), so if you take KQ, you will have to spend the night in the airport and then take the Entebbe flight the next morning. Ethiopian Airways has a somewhat shorter layover in Addis (as at October 2019 when I last travelled to Uganda), but its earliest flight will get you to Entebbe around 3 am, not a really good time to arrive in a foreign country, so you'll still have to wait in the airport till daylight. Its about 1 hour from Entebbe to Kampala by taxi and costs about 10 - 12k in naira (100,000 to 120,000 UGX).

On my business trips to Uganda, as I'm not fond of sleeping in airports, and given that Kenya has a visa on arrival process, I just get a visa when I arrive Kenya, so that I can come out of Nairobi airport and spend the night in an Airbnb near the airport, then head back to the airport the next morning to catch my flight, on both legs, inbound and outbound. This usually costs about an extra US$150 (US$100 for the multiple entry visa, and 25 - 30 for the airbnb).

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 11:50am On Dec 08, 2019
Cyberknight:

Due to airline pricing systems, indirect flights transiting through a hub (Nairobi in this case) are usually cheaper than the direct flight to the hub city. For instance on my last trip to Kampala, when I took 4 flights (Lagos - Nairobi, Nairobi - Entebbe (Uganda's international airport is in Entebbe, not Kampala), Entebbe - Nairobi, then Nairobi - Lagos), the trip cost US$650 as opposed to the previously mentioned average of US$750 - 800 for the direct two-way Lagos to Nairobi and back.

However, KQ's Entebbe flights all leave before their Lagos flight arrives Nairobi (7 pm East Africa time), so if you take KQ, you will have to spend the night in the airport and then take the Entebbe flight the next morning. Ethiopian Airways has a somewhat shorter layover in Addis (as at October 2019 when I last travelled to Uganda), but its earliest flight will get you to Entebbe around 3 am, not a really good time to arrive in a foreign country, so you'll still have to wait in the airport till daylight. Its about 1 hour from Entebbe to Kampala by taxi and costs about 10 - 12k in naira (100,000 to 120,000 UGX).

On my business trips to Uganda, as I'm not fond of sleeping in airports, and given that Kenya has a visa on arrival process, I just get a visa when I arrive Kenya, so that I can come out of Nairobi airport and spend the night in an Airbnb near the airport, then head back to the airport the next morning to catch my flight, on both legs, inbound and outbound. This usually costs about an extra US$150 (US$100 for the multiple entry visa, and 25 - 30 for the airbnb).

Thanks very much for this detailed information. I so much appreciate. I have a question. I know that Uganda has e-visa policy. However, do they still give visa on arrival if one misses the e-visa?
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2019
TheAviator:

Thanks very much for this detailed information. I so much appreciate. I have a question. I know that Uganda has e-visa policy. However, do they still give visa on arrival if one misses the e-visa?

As at last month when I went to Kampala, yes, Nigerians were still eligible for visas on arrival.

However, before you travel, I would advise you go to the Uganda Immigration website and verify. African countries are chaotic and are capable of delivering surprises; the Tanzanians for instance removed Nigeria from their list of countries eligible for visas on arrival last year without notice, thus messing up trips for people. Expect the usual questions at immigration, carry a reasonable amount of cash commensurate with your proposed length of stay and if you are a first-timer bring along paperwork substantiating your visit and be prepared for a bit more scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by TheAviator: 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2019
Cyberknight:

As at last month when I went to Kampala, yes, Nigerians were still eligible for visas on arrival.

However, before you travel, I would advise you go to the Uganda Immigration website and verify. African countries are chaotic and are capable of delivering surprises; the Tanzanians for instance removed Nigeria from their list of countries eligible for visas on arrival last year without notice, thus messing up trips for people. Expect the usual questions at immigration, carry a reasonable amount of cash commensurate with your proposed length of stay and if you are a first-timer bring along paperwork substantiating your visit and be prepared for a bit more scrutiny.

All right, thanks
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by uwesmakeit: 12:40am On Dec 09, 2019
Pavore9:

The white stuff is called ugali, while the beans and maize is called githeri! How did you enjoy the cooked cabbage? You for tell me say u dey come Nairobi, would have directed you to Nwanyi Awka's place at Lithuli Avenue where you would have eaten correct egusi soup and semolina/garri for N500 a plate! cheesy

Why go to for a different country for tourism purposes then start looking for home food
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by kizonero(m): 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2020
Good day guys,

Pls bro, I want you to help me out on the followings,

* How much did you get your tourist visa to Kenya, and which one is better, getting it online(e visa) or on arrival?

* How much is the cheapest flight from Lagos to Kenya?

* What are the documents I will need to hold and they will request during the visa procession online, and on arrival if I should chose that.

* What is the cheapest accommodation that one can get for 1week and which area.

* how much is the tour packages and how can one pay for it.

* Do our immigration officers ask for PTA to Kenya at our airport here (MM1).
* At Kenya airport, what and what does there immigration officers ask for. I heard that they are so corrupt and can collect bribe well. How can I escape there wahala.
* Lastly, can I enter Rwanda from Kenya by road? How much and hours?

I really want to add to my travel history, so I have chosen Kenya. Pls guys, make una help me attend to my questions so I can plan well.

Thank you
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Lookandlaugh: 3:11am On Jan 21, 2020
Yes,Kenya immigration officers and their police officers at their Airport(JOMO KENYATTA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN NAIROBI) are very very CORRUPT.
They(kenya immigration and kenya police officers at the airport in Nairobi)will demand bribe from you,just prepare for that.
It's better you get your visa on arrival in Kenya at the airport in Nairobi,which you are to pay USD 50,but the Kenya immigration won't collect USD 50 from you,they always collect USD 100,before they will issue you a Visa,
If you don't do that they might deport you.
And please don't do the online Kenya Visa, Because if you do that,the immigration officers will still extort you,and still made you to pay USD 100,after you might have paid for the evisa(online visa).
Immediately you sort out the immigration officers,Kenya police will be waiting for you downstairs,they will pull you aside start asking some questions,and they will later demand bribe from you,and if you dont give them,they might made a move for your deportation.
So line your pocket with Money,I'm talking from the experience I had in February 2019.
KENYAN IMMIGRATION OFFICERS AND THEIR POLICEMEN AT JOMO KENYATTA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN NAIROBI ARE FANTASTICALLY CORRUPT.
kizonero:
Good day guys,

* How much did you get your tourist visa to Kenya, and which one is better, getting it online(e visa) or on arrival?

* What are the documents I will need to hold and they will request during the visa procession online, and on arrival if I should chose that.

* At Kenya airport, what and what does there immigration officers ask for. I heard that they are so corrupt and can collect bribe well. How can I escape there wahala.

I really want to add to my travel history, so I have chosen Kenya. Pls guys, make una help me attend to my questions so I can plan well.

Thank you

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by kizonero(m): 5:53am On Jan 21, 2020
Thank you bro for attending to two of my questions. I really appreciated. Still waiting on other gurus in the house to say sth. May God bless you as you do so.

Now, from your advice bro, I should go for visa on arrival so I won't hve to pay double. I hope they won't demand more than that $100 since I hve no other option. You know they can act funny, since I won't want to go back so any price they say I most pay.

Secondly, like how much can one drop for those police men.

Lastly, what are the documents you presented for the visa on arrival processing

Thank you a lot
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Lookandlaugh: 2:59am On Jan 22, 2020
Just USD 100 is okay for the visa on arrival based on what I saw in February 2019,it might have changed,
You don't need any document for visa on arrival,but you need to have an hotel reservarion with you,yellow fever vaccination card,return ticket,and PTA(personal travelling allowance) in USD.
Even if you plan to stay in that country,don't made your intention known to the immigration officers and the police,just tell them you are a tourist on holiday.
They might ask you about what and what you will doing in kenya,during your holiday,you need to tell them.
You need to know some places of interest in kenya(places you will be visiting to enjoy yourself during your holiday)
For their Policemen you need to keep in between USD 50 to USD 100 for them,with this you are good to go.
kizonero:
Thank you bro for attending to two of my questions. I really appreciated. Still waiting on other gurus in the house to say sth. May God bless you as you do so.

Now, from your advice bro, I should go for visa on arrival so I won't hve to pay double. I hope they won't demand more than that $100 since I hve no other option. You know they can act funny, since I won't want to go back so any price they say I most pay.

Secondly, like how much can one drop for those police men.

Lastly, what are the documents you presented for the visa on arrival processing

Thank you a lot
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 5:02am On Jan 22, 2020
kizonero:
Good day guys,

Thank you

Re the cheapest flight you can get, that's for you to find out by going online. 3 airlines fly to Kenya from Nigeria, Kenya Airways (KQ), Ethiopian and Rwandair. Check their sites for prices for your dates. KQ is direct, so its usually the most expensive.

You can travel to Rwanda by road from Kenya, but it takes about 24 hours from Nairobi to Kigali, via Kampala. It is a good way to get 3 visas in your passport, if you feel up to it. If you intend to go to Rwanda, the prices of multi-city air tickets are usually lower than those of direct flights.

Thirdly, I've been to Kenya 6 times and I've never paid more than 50 usd for a visa on arrival. Always have a 50 dollar bill to pay with (just buy at a BDC in the Lagos airport before leaving). I've used the evisa thrice and have never been asked to pay anything extra in addition to the fee paid online. I've only been asked for a tip once. I wouldn't call it a bribe, because the immigration officer was laughing as she asked "Anything for me for tea?" and she didn't bother me further when I told her, "Next time". Nor have any of my colleagues had any similar experience. And that was at 2 a.m. in the morning, when the airport was almost empty. Normally, I pass through immigration when it is busy (the direct flight from Nigeria arrives at 7 pm their time). Like everywhere, they definitely profile people, so if you carry yourself well, you should have no problems.

I have only been questioned by an immigration official once, and that was on my very first visit and he didn't ask me for a bribe, it was a brief 5 minute affair (what brings you to Kenya, can I see your return ticket, etc.). Corruption is indeed a thing in Kenya, just like it is here, but I wouldn't really characterise their airport immigration officials as corrupt - none has ever bothered me or the people I sometimes travel with. Tourism is a huge earner for the Kenyan economy and they are very careful with it and if they were extorting travelers at the airports, it would quickly become an issue. I've heard the chaps in Nyayo House (their immigration HQ) are a different matter entirely when it comes to visa extensions and the rest, and you know our Nigerian brethren have earned themselves a bad reputation in Kenya unfortunately.

For tour packages, again use the internet. Basically the main tourist experience in Kenya is the safari and visiting national parks. There's one in the centre of Nairobi itself you could try, there's an elephant orphanage and giraffe centre, all in town, and there are some day trips from Nairobi to neighbouring sites, such as Lake Naivasha. If you want a genuine tour package, book a safari. A 2-day one should suffice. Go on to the internet and do careful research for tour operators and for each one also search for reviews by travelers detailing their experiences and recommending the tour operators they have used.

As for accommodation, that depends on your resources. Generally, the equivalent of US$60 a night will get you a decent hotel room in a decent area in many cities. You can find cheaper lodging, but it makes no sense to come to a foreign country for the first time and lodge in a working class area (e..g. coming to Lagos and getting a hotel or Airbnb in Ajegunle or Bariga) because apart from the risk, it attracts attention to you and calls into question your claim to be a tourist.

Nigerian immigration doesn't ask for PTA. Again, they too profile people and have the right to question you on departure as to your intentions, so be ready for that, especially if this is your first time traveling.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Passengers Transported With Wheelbarrows At Rumuokoro Flyover In Port Harcourt / Petr Kellner Dies In Helicopter Crash / 1,200 Years Old Strange Mummy Tied In Net Rope Discovered In Peru(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.