Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x (2699 Views)

When A Mother Says She Is Going To Bed.. / My Marriage Is Going The Wrong Way, I Need An Advice / You Called My Mama A Ho And I Will Divorce You For That (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 2:38pm On Feb 16, 2009
Have you seen any Nigerian Music Video lately?, if u have u may know and understand what i am talking about.

At the expense of sounding prude, I cannot find words to express my utmost distaste when i see Nigerian music videos going down the same destructive path African-American music videos have been for the last several years. Nigerian music videos are now trailing behind them at an alarming rate. Now videos on BET is Nigerian music video's inspiration of what a good music video should be.

Nigerian girls are now being paraded butt naked or almost naked in majority of this videos. Artistes like D Banj aka kokomaster, 9ice etc and his cohorts are now the trendsetter in this crazy-nastiness called the Nigerian music video industry. I agree majority of the songs are very nice but does the videos have to trashily project our beautiful African queens and princess in a downright disrespectful manner?( with boobs and butt-cheeks hanging out being the order of the day?).

Look around u, look at the utmost disrespect African Americans females go through due to the way the music industry project their images, we are supposed to be different but i guess not. Look all over Youtube, type in naija girls, u will find beautiful naija girls in various degrees of UnCloth, looking like Christmas fools in one home video or music video .I am not only disgusted and appalled but very livid and angry at what going on. and some one definitely needs to speak out,  if this continues, we are definitely mortgaging the lives of our daughters, sisters,even sons,

Posted a link to an example of the videos i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmMfLn1eU8

I rest for now,

Concerned Sister, Wife & Mom.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by jacq(f): 8:40pm On Feb 16, 2009
Stupid song and video ! but that video was shot in the states so those girls are not in naija but in america.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 9:19pm On Feb 16, 2009
what about the Videos shot in naija all over youtube. it's just disgraceful.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by ladej(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2009
this discussion about women looking HO-ish in videos will never end. what i say is if you dont like it change the channel. it may sound harsh but what one cannot control ,one should not bother about too much. the video producers set the tone and creative concept for the video, which is accepted or refused by the artiste. jobs are then created for these girls who will be paid to dance and strut their stuff. what i say and always say is if there's no demand supply disappears. if people refused to watch those videos[which is monitored through tv network ratings] they wont be available. as a wife, mother, and woman i understand your concern but my advice is for you to shield yourself and family by not watching. end of!
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2009
ladej:

this discussion about women looking HO-ish in videos will never end. what i say is if you dont like it change the channel. it may sound harsh but what one cannot control ,one should not bother about too much. the video producers set the tone and creative concept for the video, which is accepted or refused by the artiste. jobs are then created for these girls who will be paid to dance and strut their stuff. what i say and always say is if there's no demand supply disappears. if people refused to watch those videos[which is monitored through tv network ratings] they wont be available. as a wife, mother, and woman i understand your concern but my advice is for you to shield yourself and family by not watching. end of!

This is the kind of ignorance we are talking about, if no one speaks about it, how will folks be aware of a problem we have. Of course i do shield my family from the craziness but does that make the problem go away?, this is the kind of hand-off-the-deck approach, that compounds the problem in the first place,
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 4:59pm On Feb 18, 2009
tolutara:

Have you seen any Nigerian Music Video lately?, if u have u may know and understand what i am talking about.

At the expense of sounding prude, I cannot find words to express my utmost distaste when i see Nigerian music videos going down the same destructive path African-American music videos have been for the last several years. Nigerian music videos are now trailing behind them at an alarming rate. Now videos on BET is Nigerian music video's inspiration of what a good music video should be.

Nigerian girls are now being paraded butt naked or almost naked in majority of this videos. Artistes like D Banj aka kokomaster, 9ice etc and his cohorts are now the trendsetter in this crazy-nastiness called the Nigerian music video industry. I agree majority of the songs are very nice but does the videos have to trashily project our beautiful African queens and princess in a downright disrespectful manner?( with boobs and butt-cheeks hanging out being the order of the day?).

Look around u, look at the utmost disrespect African Americans females go through due to the way the music industry project their images, we are supposed to be different but i guess not. Look all over Youtube, type in naija girls, u will find beautiful naija girls in various degrees of UnCloth, looking like Christmas fools in one home video or music video .I am not only disgusted and appalled but very livid and angry at what going on. and some one definitely needs to speak out,  if this continues, we are definitely mortgaging the lives of our daughters, sisters,even sons,

Posted a link to an example of the videos i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmMfLn1eU8

I rest for now,

Concerned Sister, Wife & Mom.

I agree with More than 100%

What have African Americans gained from this?

Nigerians are wannabes.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 5:16pm On Feb 18, 2009
Dbanj is so LAME

How hard is it to come up with that LYRICS?

THAT suddenly BULLSHIT will never happen with me.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by ladej(m): 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2009
@poster- you wont be the first to talk about this so your statement 'if no one speaks about it, how will folks be aware of a problem we have' is factually incorrect. if i remember sometime within Bush's administration, even Clinton's there was a congressional hearing on the state of rap videos, violence and nudity or near nudity in the videos. nothing got done about it. so dont say no one has spoken about it, cos apparently a lot have. what did the networks do? Mtv just moved the randy videos later than usual[which partially addressed the problem i spoke about, cos if kids are up late and still watching randy videos then its the parents fault].

the truth is that this is now a multi-million dollar industry, and as with all multi-million dollar industries like cigarettes, alcohol, etc WHAT WE SAY DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS GOVERNMENT IS MAKING MONEY FROM TAXES. i am not ignorant, just seeing it from a different perspective doesnt make me ignorant. it just makes me different from you. the networks including BET show it cos it makes them money. when it comes to money morality always take a backseat. im not saying its right either, just offering a different opinion. grin
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by MrCrackles(m): 5:21pm On Feb 18, 2009
Moral decadence fuelled by poverty and hunger for fame!

Artistes tend to prey on this to get all the attention available and it is a shame
! sad
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 5:23pm On Feb 18, 2009
ladej:

@poster- you wont be the first to talk about this so your statement 'if no one speaks about it, how will folks be aware of a problem we have' is factually incorrect. if i remember sometime within Bush's administration, even Clinton's there was a congressional hearing on the state of rap videos, violence and nudity or near nudity in the videos. nothing got done about it. so dont say no one has spoken about it, cos apparently a lot have. what did the networks do? Mtv just moved the randy videos later than usual[which partially addressed the problem i spoke about, cos if kids are up late and still watching randy videos then its the parents fault].

the truth is that this is now a multi-million dollar industry, and as with all multi-million dollar industries like cigarettes, alcohol, etc WHAT WE SAY DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS GOVERNMENT IS MAKING MONEY FROM TAXES. i am not ignorant, just seeing it from a different perspective doesnt make me ignorant. it just makes me different from you. the networks including BET show it cos it makes them money. when it comes to money morality always take a backseat. im not saying its right either, just offering a different opinion. grin

I understand ur point but I am not really interested in the American society cos that might be a lost cause, but in Nigeria, Tell me who is speaking against this? were are the female activists and role models?, After all, we are quote "the African queens and mothers of the earth.",  lets not fall into the same there is nothing we can do trap, we can if we come together
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by KarmaMod(f): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2009
Lmao they're not copying BET. They're copying what they see at UNILAG grin
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2009
ladej:

We all know it is about money. How hard is it to figure that out?

But look at how much African Americans has been affected by this type of garbage.

As soon as black american women started shaking their ass on TV and barely wearing any clothes, that is when many black american men lost respect for them.

If I see Nigerian men behaving like this, then I will lose respect for them too.

Learn from others mistakes.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 5:26pm On Feb 18, 2009
MrCrackles:

Moral decadence fuelled by poverty and hunger for fame!

Artistes tend to prey on this to get all the attention available and it is a shame
! sad

Complete shame, this is not the naija i left behind, to think i will be moving back home in a couple years to "raise "my kids away from the same madness here in the US
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by ladej(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2009
thanks tolulara for seeing my point. you are right as well. its sending a negative image to the kids, and not everything from america should be embraced back home. we have a rich and unique culture back home which is unrivalled anywhere else. lets protect it. if we should borrow then lets borrow the good things, not bad. also parents, SPEND TIME WITH YOUR KIDS. DONT BLAME D BANJ FOR MESSING THEM UP, HES JUST AN ENTERTAINER. a word is enough,
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2009
KarmaMod:

Lmao they're not copying BET. They're copying what they see at UNILAG  grin

and who are unilag students copying, Hen?  see different girls on Youtube in front of their cameras at home or school, shaking their asses, some even have the audacity to show their faces, what happened to having morals
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2009
This is what you get when a people lose their sense of direction. The average Nigerian has no cultural sense of appreciation and is quick to jump at anything western. It's the craving for westernization that leads to foolishness we now hear and see in these music. If they are not lying about money and cars, they are bragging about sleeping with 70 girls in an hour!
Interestingly, prior to the 90s, you could a handful of internationally acclaimed Nigerian artistes like Fela, Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Sunny Okosuns, Onyeka Onwenu, Prince Nico Mbarga etc. These folks gained international recognitions due to the musical originality etc. Even when Fela is yabbing westernization, the while folks are busy dancing their hearts out to his music. These new age Western-Wannabees or BeenBefore rappers are fooling themselves. Their music is not recognized outside of the Nigerian crowd so that feeds my point. Tuface's African Queen gained world wide mass without the video being nasty.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by KarmaMod(f): 5:38pm On Feb 18, 2009
tolutara:

and who are unilag students copying, Hen?  see different girls on Youtube in front of their cameras at home or school, shaking their asses, some even have the audacity to show their faces, what happened to having morals

Makossa dancers n ko? Are they from BET too? tongue
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 5:38pm On Feb 18, 2009
tolutara:

This is what you get when a people lose their sense of direction. The average Nigerian has no cultural sense of appreciation and is quick to jump at anything western. It's the craving for westernization that leads to foolishness we now hear and see in these music. If they are not lying about money and cars, they are bragging about sleeping with 70 girls in an hour!
Interestingly, prior to the 90s, you could a handful of internationally acclaimed Nigerian artistes like Fela, Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Sunny Okosuns, Onyeka Onwenu, Prince Nico Mbarga etc. These folks gained international recognitions due to the musical originality etc. Even when Fela is yabbing westernization, the while folks are busy dancing their hearts out to his music. These new age Western-Wannabees or BeenBefore rappers are fooling themselves. Their music is not recognized outside of the Nigerian crowd so that feeds my point. Tuface's African Queen gained world wide mass without the video being nasty.

I agree.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by JustGood(m): 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2009
This is what happens when we are constantly believing that WHATEVER is done abroad is good and whatever we do/practice is bad.
We are taking all the evil of the western world rather than sifting out the bad aspects of their lives. many nigerians get to america and try to be more american than the Americans. . .funny thing is that they always copy the worst Americans (the scum of the American society)
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by MrCrackles(m): 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2009
tolutara:

Gbam!Gbam!!
Priceless!!!!
cheesy
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by ladej(m): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
@merge- yeah i know its pretty obvious but thats the reason why its also difficult to combat. as for african american men most of them are brain less and delusional compared to other types of men. although this is off point im so happy Obama[a son of an african man won and not a full fledged ignorant african american who doesnt know his roots and looks down on africans]

back to point, u make sense. grin
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2009
KarmaMod:

Makossa dancers n ko? Are they from BET too?  tongue

I watched makossa and soukous videos on youtube.

However, that is their culture. You can tell when someone is imitating.

Dbanj is clearly an imitation of black american music videos.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 6:08pm On Feb 18, 2009
Sadly, I only went to one Nigerian events with young Nigerian adults. It was the Nigerian Independence Day Parade in New York.  I came late to the parade though.

That was the worst experience ever.

I went to the after party.  It was Americanized.
I was dressed classy.

Almost all Nigerian girls were dressed trashy. It was a disgrace. I know many of them dressed up at their friends' home to avoid their parents.

Of course Nigerian men were not looking at the classy women there.

I will never go to a Nigerian event again.  Definitely not the parade.
However, I usually don't go to parties because most are lame. Nowadays, most people go to parties for one night stands.

Out of all days to be trashy, it had to have happened on the Nigerian Independence Day Parade.

I am not really surprised.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by KarmaMod(f): 10:22pm On Feb 18, 2009
Like you can compare the trash known as Carifest to Naija Independence parade. At least the Nigerians wear clothes even if they are short as opposed to full out nudity
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by merge(f): 11:16pm On Feb 18, 2009
KarmaMod:

Like you can compare the trash known as Carifest to Naija Independence parade. At least the Nigerians wear clothes even if they are short as opposed to full out nudity

Nigerian should have their own standards and not care what others are doing.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by kayusa: 5:08am On Feb 20, 2009
It's really a shame to see Nigerians acting out like Americans and the most annoying part of it is that it's those who actually travel out of the country to hustle like they say that loose their pride in their culture and heritage no matter how hungry one can be,culture,tradition and moral believes is one thing that should not be traded. Like some of you said these Nigerian music videos don't even get the attention they deserver from the Westerners apart from Nigerian communities.All those crap Keke and D1 show back on T.V back in Niaja is bull crap.Here in the states Apart from BET which is little bit relaxed on their TV sensorship when it comes to music videos all other station rarely show those nude music videos that why you either watch it on BET or go to you tube or go watch their shows .For us Nigerians who are concerned for the future of our young generation we need to do what we think is best.
Keeping our mouth shut and ignoring the situation will only make the situation worse. that is if we want to see our children and grand children make us proud .
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by TOYOSI20(f): 5:37am On Feb 20, 2009
kayusa:

It's really a shame to see Nigerians acting out like Americans and the most annoying part of it is that it's those who actually travel out of the country to hustle like they say that loose their pride in their culture and heritage no matter how hungry one can be,culture,tradition and moral believes is one thing that should not be traded. Like some of you said these Nigerian music videos don't even get the attention they deserver from the Westerners apart from Nigerian communities.All those crap Keke and D1 show back on T.V back in Niaja is bull crap.Here in the states Apart from BET which is little bit relaxed on their TV sensorship when it comes to music videos all other station rarely show those nude music videos that why you either watch it on BET or go to you tube or go watch their shows .For us Nigerians who are concerned for the future of our young generation we need to do what we think is best.
Keeping our mouth shut and ignoring the situation will only make the situation worse. that is if we want to see our children and grand children make us proud .

right on point!! wink
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by FBS: 2:47pm On Feb 20, 2009
@Ladej,
strong points you made. No demand no supply and I kinda feel that those complaining are the ones who watch it most. grin
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 2:50pm On Feb 20, 2009
kayusa:

I am so happy to her u say this, Thot i was the only one who simply felt this way.

FBS:

@Ladej,
strong points you made. No demand no supply and I kinda feel that those complaining are the ones who watch it most. grin

Thats not true,
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by KB1(m): 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2009
We African-Americans have nothing to do with those young Naija girls and guys shaking their asses around in those videos, so don't attempt to pass the buck on the failure of Nigerian parents to properly monitor and train their kids on to us. We have our own crosses to bare. In this day in age it's a struggle for parents of all backgrounds to properly ground there kids with all the negativity in which the world media is spreading around the world. African-American and all other types of American parents have been battling this type of stuff for a long time now, welcome to to world of media driven culture take over and the fight to subdue its effects on your children.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by tolutara: 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2009
KB1:

We African-Americans have nothing to do with those young Naija girls and guys shaking their asses around in those videos, so don't attempt to pass the buck on the failure of Nigerian parents to properly monitor and train their kids on to us. We have our own crosses to bare. In this day in age it's a struggle for parents of all backgrounds to properly ground there kids with all the negativity in which the world media is spreading around the world. African-American and all other types of American parents have been battling this type of stuff for a long time now, welcome to to world of media driven culture take over and the fight to subdue its effects on your children.

I don't think anyone is actually blaming African-Americans for this issue, we are simply using their situation as an example of what we don't want to see happen in the Nigerian music industry. Most Nigerians are to blame for being such a copy-cat. Copying the good, the bad and the ugly of a very bad situation.

You are so right about parents not taking responsibility of raising their children. we allow the TV to do the raising. Seriously sad.
Re: Nigerian Music Videos Goes Ho-ish. What Is Going On? :(x by Shinatu: 4:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the Poster, I find the video very nauseating.

However as someone rightly mentioned the Makosa era in Nigeria was a terrible time.
I gathered that a lot of rape took place at a Makosa show in Lagos at one time.
Is Makosa from the Western world? Is it not African?

So what are the all pure and pleasant African tradition we are talking about?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Future Of The Nigerian Child! / Freinds And Relatives Who Got Wealthy And Forgot Their Roots. / What Will Run Through Your Mind if you must Cut This Cake - see pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.