Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer (1150 Views)

What It Takes To Be A Programmer These Days. / Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? / What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by nairawebs(m): 10:47am On Feb 17, 2009
In Nigeria now, which programming language(s) do you think one need to learn to be a real programmer both developing programs for the internet and for businesses offline. Also which associations do one need to join?
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by paule: 1:49pm On Feb 17, 2009
There are two popular used programming language in the world: Java and DotNET (VB & C#). Both have there pros and cons. There are more DotNET programmers than Java cos it's an upgrade of VB(to VB.NET) and the vendor is microsoft. Java is also competing cos it is open source and can be used to develop application on Micro devices (PDAs, Mobile Phones, TVs, machines etc). However the principle is the same but syntax are different. I encourage you to start with VB.Net cos it is easier to use, they are many professional programmers using the tools and it is used in many companies, when you grow you can also learn JAVA. Many programmers these days use the 2 languages cos they still want to remain relevant in software developmet/Programming IT field. I started with VB.NET and i also use Java(esp J2ME). For further counselling contact Paul-email ezeamama_paul@yahoo.com or call +2347032030566
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by yawatide(f): 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2009
I think the phrase, "Real programmer" is a dangerous one. To me, and call me crazy, it implies that there it takes something to be a "fake" programmer. As Nigerians, generally speaking, I know we like to make things bigger than they are but it isn't necessarily a good thing. Think in terms of what it will take to be a "good" programmer, period.

You need to think in terms of what is in demand and how you can leverage your skill set to match those demands. You also need to continuously learn above and beyond just in case another opportunity comes along in an area you are not presently working in right now. That way, you always remain marketable and in demand.

My suggestion(s)? Look to see what is in demand within your locale and start from there. Steadily improve yourself while there and in your spare time, learn what the 2nd most thing in demand is. You should be fine from that point.

Good luck!
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by paule: 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2009
yawa-ti-de, How is Potiskum? Sincerely after reading your comment twice I still don't know what your are advicing in line with the question asked. Obviously that is how student fail exams, I guess nairawebs is a beginner and needs 'motherly' advice. Please offer one if you can.
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by fatezy(m): 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2009
I'll say u can take up any language u feel u could grasp easily though IDEs (netbeans, visual studio etc) have made programmin easier. Also it'l be advisable to learn a language that'l be widely applicable.
As for groups, I think Nigeria Computer Society and Computer Professionals of Nigeria are the major 1s. Best of luck being a programmer.
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2009
paule:

There are two popular used programming language in the world: Java and DotNET (VB & C#). Both have there pros and cons. There are more DotNET programmers than Java cos it's an upgrade of VB(to VB.NET) and the vendor is microsoft.

Not sure of the above claim.

paule:

Java is also competing cos it is open source and can be used to develop application on Micro devices (PDAs, Mobile Phones, TVs, machines etc).

Java is opensource? .Net can also be used in developing applications on micro devices(PDAs, Mobile Phones, TVs, machines etc).

paule:

However the principle is the same but syntax are different. I encourage you to start with VB.Net cos it is easier to use, they are many professional programmers using the tools and it is used in many companies, when you grow you can also learn JAVA.

VB.NET is not necessarily easier to use or learn than java. There are those who started with Java. It all depends on the person learning the language and how quickly he/she is able to grasp presented concepts.
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Feb 17, 2009
@Poster, I will tell you what I told others who asked the same question. It is not really about WHAT language you learn. There are so many languages out there that allow you to do most the same things and some even more. The main is to pick a language, an area, become the best you you can in that area, and then work on integrating your knowledge into other areas. 

There are JavaScript pros here that make $100/hr. someone will tell you that JavaScript is client scripting and easy but reality is there is a need for even the simplest out there. You do not need to go where everyone else is going. Find your niche and be the best you can where you are.

Don't become like the many copy paste programmers we have out there today who slap code together and have no indepth idea of how it all works, as long as it works.
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by coolgenius: 12:40am On Feb 18, 2009
Learn VB.NET
You can build business apps with this language.

After learning that you can easily learn ASP.NET and build apps for websites.
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by dammytosh: 12:50pm On Feb 18, 2009
nairawebs:

In Nigeria now, which programming language(s) do you think one need to learn to be a real programmer both developing programs for the internet and for businesses offline.
You can learn any programming language to become a real programmer. python, erlang, javascript, html, java, php, vb.net etc. any programming language

nairawebs:

Also which associations do one need to join?
  It is not about any association, it is not a cooperative kind of profession. Simply develop your self and get certified to prove to industries that u know how to do it.

@Poster:
My personal advice [/b]to you is to learn [b]JAVA, VB.NET or PHP
   but VB.NET (ASP.NET) to start with because of the rich IDE support in visual studio and some other productivity features of microsoft languages.  e.g U can build some small scale applications in VB.NET without WRITING a single line of code.
You can go for other languages as time goes on. best of luck
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by syllabus1: 2:28pm On Feb 18, 2009
where can i study as a software programmer? i need a school in Nigeria. please if you have one you can mail me at greatmondya2@yahoo.com
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by dammytosh: 2:32pm On Feb 18, 2009
syllabus1:

where can i study as a software programmer? i need a school in Nigeria. please if you have one you can mail me at greatmondya2@yahoo.com
I am afraid i don't think there is any in Nigeria may be any other person can say sha
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by yawatide(f): 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2009
paule,

If you don't understand what I said, too bad, so sad. Besides, the last time I checked, the answer to the question wasn't for you but the poster.

Geez! What's up with some people on here and their "ability" to mind-read? Can't they just shut up? angry
Re: What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer by Bossman(m): 4:18pm On Feb 18, 2009
Don't know what constitutes a "Real Programmer". What I now is, it's not about the programming language you learn. As suggested, see what's in demand in your area and take it from there. Whatever language you choose, it's very important to make sure you have a good grasp of Software development principles in general. That will take you a long way, and make for an easy transition, if there is a need to learn other programming languages. The bottom line is, try to be your best in whatever programming language you learn, and that will separate you from the pack.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Python Users Plz Help With This Django Error / Programmers Come To My Aid Please. / Two Methods Help Users Recover Deleted Whatsapp Messages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.