Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? (3249 Views)

Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by enzo01(m): 9:20am On Jul 14, 2010
hello fellow nairalander's am new into programming and am not really exposed to the programming world pls i want to know what it takes for one to be a good programmer based on nigerian market today. lps i'll realy apprici8 if i can get a reply.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by javalord: 10:05am On Jul 14, 2010
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by enzo01(m): 10:24am On Jul 14, 2010
tanx javalord but am still a bit confused, for one to be a good programmer do one need to a have an idea about networking and assembly language? what dose it require of me?
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by tundebabzy: 10:30am On Jul 14, 2010
no you don't
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by javalord: 10:41am On Jul 14, 2010
You don't need to understand assemble language or networking to get started with programming. Though it will be an advantage.

When i started programming i didn't know anything about networking or assemble language.

What you need is to identify a language (c,c++,c#,java,python) you will love to learn first and focus on that for a while.

Just identify one and i will give you good e-books to start with.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by tundebabzy: 10:56am On Jul 14, 2010
@enzo
the truth is that if you want to be a regular good programmer,you might not learn those. If what you mean by good is excellent, then you need to learn programming languages, computer architecture, algorithms, networking, assembly and stuff like that. But of course, you know that excellence cannot be achieved overnight so you'll have to go one step at a time. First pick one programming language and use it to learn about programming language concepts. Pls note that there is a difference between programming language concepts and a programming language itself. Those who learn the concepts can switch over to a new language almost immediately but if you learn just the language itself, it'll be harder.
Great universities abroad especially MIT use Scheme (a dialect of LISP) to teach about programming. You can download Their book: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming from www.4shared.com and i can assure you that you will see programming from a different light. After learning this, you can now go into others like python, java, php, perl, C, C++,e.tc. and you won't find it difficult to because you have learnt the concepts from the start not just the language. You will need to learn algorithms to write better, faster and more efficient codes. Learning computer architecture, networking, etc will increase your competency because if you know how those things work, you can create more kind of applications.

Just start small like everyone else, don't rush yourself. And don't forget, practice is invaluable in your quest. Join the opensource community and make contributions to some of the projects. it adds to your reputation
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by logica(m): 1:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
. . . if you don't know by now, you will never, never know.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by enzo01(m): 4:05pm On Jul 14, 2010
Tanx guyz i rly aprici8 dis may God bless u al @javalord dis is ma e-mail ads umanijos@gmail.com and am gonna need buks like vb.net, phython, java, and c#
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by javalord: 1:12am On Jul 15, 2010
I have sent you the following books

1. Introduction To Microsoft Visual Basic 2005
2. Visual Basic 2005 Jumpstart (2005)
3.Visual Basic 2005 In A Nutshell, 3rd Edition (2006)

I will send books on c#,c,c+, Java and Python before 11am today

1 Like

Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by enzo01(m): 8:04am On Jul 15, 2010
Tanx man jah bless.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by javalord: 10:42am On Jul 15, 2010
Have sent all!

One final advice while reading try to download sample source code of applications. It will help learn faster.

HAPPY CODING!
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by candylips(m): 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2010
best way is to learn from other people's code.

easiest way to do this is examining the code in open source projects
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by Albato(m): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2010
- bucket loads of patience.
- being able to sit in one spot for hours
- an eye for details
- a love for the abstract
- indifference to filth (can you go unshaven for days?)
smiley
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by Jencejyde(m): 9:08pm On Jul 16, 2010
Albato:

- bucket loads of patience.
- being able to sit in one spot for hours
- an eye for details
- a love for the abstract
- indifference to filth (can you go unshaven for days?)
smiley
hahahahah Nice one! Ask me!
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by EmmaMsc(m): 1:18am On Jul 17, 2010
Hello guys, can any of you tell me where I can get video tutors on C,C++ and Java. I have been reading e-books, but cant assimilate
thanks
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by GREATAWOG(m): 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2010
you have to possess a logic mind and start with a particular language as a beginner Qbasic is ok
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by Cactus(m): 3:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
Think about everything you do everyday it is like a program.

Lets say a Clark goes to bed, sets alarm to 6am. Now do some abstraction.

If time is 6am
BEGIN:
alarm ring
If Clark hears alarm
smash alarm to stop
if Clark gets up
go to shower
If there is water
shower
else if there is cart pusher
call cart pusher
shower
else
shower with perfume
end if
while is eating
watch tv
end while
else
keep sleeping go to BEGIN
end if
else
Clark continue to sleep
end if
else
alarm dont ring
end if

Technically everything anyone does on any given day is like a program. You decide if you should eat or not, if you should walk, drive, okada, dependent on the amount of money in the pocket. If you think about this and sort of try to put many things you see in your daily life into a program form, I believe it will help in understand some concepts in regards to computer programming. Unfortunately, practice is the best thing that can happen.

F1 drivers practice to be great at what they do
Football practice to become world player of the year
Musicians go to studio for sessions to release hits
Students practice to excel in exams

Why cant you practice programming to be the best you can be?

As someone mentioned previously, understand a problem is key to accomplishing your task. Logic is very important and ability to foresee results will be great so you will have a better understanding of design patterns and best options.

1 Like

Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by EmmaMsc(m): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2010
Thanks guys
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by banjo78: 11:08am On Aug 09, 2010
I love 2 b a good programmer, house and javalord shld assist me, steps 2 take and hw 2 go abt it. I prefer person residing in abuja 4 day 2 day conversation in term of thoretical and practical aspect of it. I will appreiate it alot. reach me on 08034227567 or adebanjowasiu@yahoo.com
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by banjo78: 11:22am On Aug 09, 2010
I wish 2 b a good programmer, what does it takes and hw would I go abt it. kindly reach me on 08034227567 or adebanjowasiu@yahoo.com. i prefer person reside in abuja 4 proper conversation theoretically and practically VMT.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by IbrahimB: 6:14pm On Aug 09, 2010
Unfortunately not everyone can become a good programmer. The same way not every doctor becomes a good doctor, or every cook becomes a good cook.

However if:

1. You are willing to learn from books and from other programmers (your juniors and seniors alike)
2. You have a never-say-die attitude
3. You have a very good eye for detail and you are meticulous
4. You always want to find ways of doing things better

. . . Then you stand a good chance.

Good luck!
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by enzo01(m): 8:58am On Aug 10, 2010
Tanx guyz my head don full
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by iGuru1(m): 6:42pm On Aug 10, 2010
thanks men for all ur support.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by PhinaBrown: 11:18am On Aug 11, 2010
Javalord, you are the booooooooooomb, thanks man, if all intellectures are like you, we will have many intelligent people around. Please i will appreciate it if you can forward to me those books you sent to him because i am very much interested in them. Please thank you. ojiudojoe@yahoo.com. God bless you. Always.
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by netghost: 8:14pm On Aug 13, 2010
PhinaBrown:

Javalord, you are the booooooooooomb, thanks man, if all intellectures are like you, we will have many intelligent people around

totally agree with

in my view lots of study and alot more practice
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by CLASSIFYD(m): 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2010
Javalord i'ld realy appreciate it if u cld also send me those e-books. Here is my email
classifiedinfo11@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by javalord: 9:47pm On Aug 15, 2010
Sorry guys, it's been long i visited nairaland.@phinabrown, @classifyd have sent it.

@banjo78 start reading and practicing!
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by diamond50: 3:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
@javalord pls also help with those book i need them badly GOD will bless you diamond5050@rocketmail.com . tanks
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by ezquire: 4:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
to javalord,tundebabzee cactus,and all of you that contributed to envoo1 question,kudos to you all.infact my bro envoo1 spoke for most of us,personally i did MCSE in niit 2 years ago,n i cant put those knowledge in use without programming,plz i nd you guys to update me with the neccessary e-books like you guys did for envoo1.i shall be grateful,my email bright_smart@yahoo.com,i have the willing drive n i believe i will excel.tnx ya,all
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by metodman(m): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2010
Hi Javalord and the rest of the Gurus,

I am starting a programming course both intro and advance programming in Java or PHP in South Africa. I will like you to advice me on which has got a higher job prospect and of better use. May you send me the free e-book also My e-mail address is: seun_sweety@yahoo.com[b][/b]

Thanks

Isaac
Re: What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? by deblla(m): 8:36am On Jul 23, 2012
javalord: I have sent you the following books

1. Introduction To Microsoft Visual Basic 2005
2. Visual Basic 2005 Jumpstart (2005)
3.Visual Basic 2005 In A Nutshell, 3rd Edition (2006)

I will send books on c#,c,c+, Java and Python before 11am today
pls dear cn i have all these book as well for a career in programming.. Sanyaadebola@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Computer Science Course Hard?? / Java Devs, Which Do You Prefer? Eclipse Or Netbeans? / Asp.net, Vb.net, C# Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.