Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? (4261 Views)

Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel / Story Of My Life (inside The Life Of A 'gay') Short Story. / How Male Blacks Were Sodomized By Gay White Masters, During The Slave Trade Da (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by adexeli(m): 8:12am On Jun 03, 2015
I'm really confused about this since the word gay started out as an 'adjective' and has already been integrated as a noun. . Some people feel . . The sentence 'I'M GAY' Is the gramatically plausible one as oppossed to 'I'M A GAY' . . I would kindly wanna ask if using 'a gay' is wrong . . For me I think some see it as an affront. . Please share your views

2 Likes

Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by LarrySun(m): 8:34am On Jun 03, 2015
Gay, as an adjective, means Cheerful. And Gay, as a noun, means an Homosexual.

If you say 'I'm gay', you definitely mean you're happy and ready for fun. However, 'I'm a gay' means 'I'm a homo.' Lol! cheesy
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by Khd95(m): 8:47am On Jun 03, 2015
Gay in its noun context must take d article 'A'...

Otherwise it doesnt,bt folks doesnt care abt either it is in its noun or adjectival context,...
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 03, 2015
LarrySun:

If you say 'I'm gay', you definitely mean you're happy and ready for fun. However, 'I'm a gay' means 'I'm a homo.' Lol! cheesy

It is grammatically correct but syntactically incorrect. I am gay means I am homosexual rather say I am happy or in a rucus mood. The context is understood in one way than another by general society. I only hear this sort of grammar in Igbo nollywood movies.

I must to marry Ada
I doesn't care
He is a gay

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by xmileeasy: 9:41am On Jun 03, 2015
I think he's gay is correct
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by segedy: 10:06am On Jun 03, 2015
It's a slippery slope, but if you agree that "she's a lesbian" is correct then that premise should make "he's a gay" correct!
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 03, 2015
LarrySun:

But, I think I've noticed in modern usage the word 'gay', to mean 'homosexual', being used as an adjective, sir.

'A gay boy' to mean a 'homosexual boy'.

This attachment is from the Google dictionary.

Don't mind the bright shot, sir. grin

Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2015
adexeli:
I'm really confused about this since the word gay started out as an 'adjective' and has already been integrated as a noun. . Some people feel . . The sentence 'I'M GAY' Is the gramatically plausible one as oppossed to 'I'M A GAY' . . I would kindly wanna ask if using 'a gay' is wrong . . For me I think some see it as an affront. . Please share your views

'Gay' to mean 'homosexual' can both be used as a noun and as an adjective. So, 'I am gay' and 'I am a gay' would both be grammatically correct.

Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gay&sa=U&ei=c9NuVc6lN8vdUfHagfAB&ved=0CAsQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNEe6-enot4V1N_-cOxKM4e716vZ7A
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by adexeli(m): 11:36am On Jun 03, 2015
segedy:
It's a slippery slope, but if you agree that "she's a lesbian" is correct then that premise should make "he's a gay" correct!
Exactly what I think
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by ssultana(f): 8:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
voltron:

It is grammatically correct but syntactically incorrect. I am gay means I am homosexual rather say I am happy or in a rucus mood. The context is understood in one way than another by general society. I only hear this sort of grammar in Igbo nollywood movies.

I must to marry Ada
I doesn't care
He is a gay
Looooool! Did u have to add the last part?
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by nicholausian(m): 11:49pm On Jun 08, 2015
The word 'gay' is primarily an adjective by usage. In which case, the article 'a' can be used depending on context. 'I'm gay' is more correct in any sense of the word. Not to forget, that "gay' to mean happy is necessarily archaic and therefore, should be avoided in order not to mix meanings with the other controversial sense- homosexual.
'A' is mostly used with gay adjective, when it follows a noun, for example, 'a gay institution', 'a gay movie',etc.
As a noun, the article cannot be used although, or else it will sound offensive. It is advisable to use its plural form, or the substitute gay man or gay woman.
e.g (noun) Gays and lesbians were also in attendance.
Re: Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 7:40am On Jun 10, 2015
nicholausian:
The word 'gay' is primarily an adjective by usage. In which case, the article 'a' can be used depending on context. 'I'm gay' is more correct in any sense of the word. Not to forget, that "gay' to mean happy is necessarily archaic and therefore, should be avoided in order not to mix meanings with the other controversial sense- homosexual.
'A' is mostly used with gay adjective, when it follows a noun, for example, 'a gay institution', 'a gay movie',etc.
As a noun, the article cannot be used although, or else it will sound offensive. It is advisable to use its plural form, or the substitute gay man or gay woman.
e.g (noun) Gays and lesbians were also in attendance.

This exactly

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rebound Girl / I Loved And Lost / Adiye Mi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.