Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Law As A Second Degree! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Law As A Second Degree! (1930 Views)

No First Class Mentality, Faculty Of Law As Acase Study (oouý / Grandfather Bags First Class In Law As UI Graduates 1,582 / I Need A Foreign University To Study Law As Low As 400k Per Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law As A Second Degree! by Douzy(m): 11:48am On Sep 16, 2006
I heard sometime ago that soon the prerequisite for studying Law in Nigeria might be a first degree in another course.
1. Does anyone know if that is the situation now?
2. If eventually that becomes the case, how much of us (Nairalanders, nay Nigerians), considering the economic situation in the country, do you really think would be studying Law (instead of picking up a job after first degree or going for Masters/other postgraduate studies)?
3. What then do you think would be the drive behind studying Law (for those who would eventually still study it)?
4. Do you think it would afford us better Lawyers?
5. Is it the case in any other country?

Thanks y'all for your responses, however they may come!
Re: Law As A Second Degree! by Hugoboi(m): 12:10pm On Sep 16, 2006
heard sometime ago that soon the prerequisite for studying Law in Nigeria would be a first degree in another course

Total crap!! wherevau got that from!!
Re: Law As A Second Degree! by Douzy(m): 12:22pm On Sep 16, 2006
Hugoboi:

Total crap!! wherevau got that from!!

My guess: you are not in Nigeria (however, I modified my grammar a tad).
Re: Law As A Second Degree! by Hugoboi(m): 12:28pm On Sep 16, 2006
I just got in2 the Law school and I was in UNICAL for 5 years {from '99}.Neva heard of that!! where did u get that info from??
Re: Law As A Second Degree! by Douzy(m): 12:37pm On Sep 16, 2006
Ok, I couldn't get much about it on the net, but I've heard prolly much about it in the form of word of mouth. I also heard that the University of Abuja is not admitting this year's JAMB candidates into Law (yet to confirm that, though).

Read this article: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/managinglawfirm/2004/sept/15/managinglaw-15-09-2004-002.htm

Excerpts:
"Disclosing that a member of the state bar association has been barred from legal practice for four years as a result of his engagement in unprofessional conduct, the Edo NBA Ombudsman says plans are on to toughen admission requirements for candidates interested in reading Law, even as he advocates that those interested in becoming lawyers should obtain first degree in other disciplines before coming to read Law in order to enhance the quality of new entrants into the profession."

"Yes, I am a proponent of law as a second degree. It actually brings in maturity. If you see some of them who really have done that on their own voluntarily, they are more matured. It’s a job that should be done really by matured persons. It’s also a reflection of the wig we wear. When you see a white wig, it is a symbol of wisdom and age. That’s what the white wig reflects – symbol of wisdom and age. So, law as a second degree will be ideal."

(1) (Reply)

Uni Ilorin Admission List Is Out / 2009 Ume Result. / Assu Latest: Dons Suspend Strike Action, But No Dice • Nasu, Ssanu, Naat Shut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.