Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga (8437 Views)

Emeka Ike Celebrates His Son, Michael Ike Nicholas' 16th Birthday (photos) / Emeka Ike Celebrates His 50th Birthday With New Photos / Tupac's Comments About Donald Trump In 1992 Are Sadly Relevant Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Teeboy22(m): 11:06am On Jun 07, 2015
Emeka Ike Claims He Is The Founder
Of Nollywood, Veteran Filmmaker Upset Veteran filmmaker Wale Adenuga recently made a
controversial comment on Nollywood while
chatting with Encomium. Mr Adenuga said Yoruba
and Hausa actors are not part of Nollywood. See his explosive comment below: When somebody claims he founded Nollywood,
Oga Bello and of course I cannot be part of that.
You were alive in 1983 when I produced my first
film when Emeka Ike and his Nollywood people
were still in school. They started their own film-
making in 1992 and they are claiming that 1992 was the beginning of film-making in Nigeria. Would you then call me a member of Nollywood?
Bello made Omo-Orukan in 1980s. Will Bello now
come under Nollywood formed by somebody who
began his career in 1992? Emeka Ike started in
1992 and in one of his interviews I read, he said he
founded Nollywood. So, would I belong to such industry founded by Emeka Ike who was born
when I was making films? Or will Ogunde of
blessed memory consider Emeka Ike as his own
pioneer? Young boys and girls have pocketed Nollywood
and sent veteran actors into forced retirement.
These old actors are now living in abject poverty
due to inactivity. Some of them facing avoidable
deaths. But you see, there is nothing bad in
adopting Nollywood as name for Nigeria film industry, what I expected was that when you are
telling the story of that Nollywood, it behooves on
you to say it started in 1950s, giving credence to
those who started it before you. I can’t be part of a Nollywood started by Emeka Ike
because I was making films before he was born. I
can’t consider him as my pioneer. That is why
Yoruba and Hausa are not part of it. Go and ask
Muazu in the North who has been making films
since God knows when, will Emeka Ike be his pioneer? They defined Nollywood as product of
1992. It suggests that those who have been
making films before 1992 are not part of
Nollywood. That to me is a dangerous claim. Nollywood founder Emeka Ike recently kicked
Ibinabo Fiberesima out as the President of Actors
Guild of Nigeria after a long legal battle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by pamodulus: 11:11am On Jun 07, 2015
You people should just be making good movies, that's all that matters to me. Not the name

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by lomprico(m): 11:26am On Jun 07, 2015
Why is he trying to make it sound tribal? Secluding hausa n yoruba from nollywod? There are also igbo films made before ike was born.

6 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 07, 2015
Teeboy22:
Of Nollywood, Veteran Filmmaker Upset Veteran filmmaker Wale Adenuga recently made a
and Hausa actors are not part of Nollywood. See his explosive comment below: When somebody claims he founded Nollywood,
making in 1992 and they are claiming that 1992 was the beginning of film-making in Nigeria. Would you then call me a member of Nollywood?
founded Nollywood. So, would I belong to such industry founded by Emeka Ike who was born
adopting Nollywood as name for Nigeria film industry, what I expected was that when you are
those who started it before you. I can’t be part of a Nollywood started by Emeka Ike
since God knows when, will Emeka Ike be his pioneer? They defined Nollywood as product of
Nollywood. That to me is a dangerous claim. Nollywood founder Emeka Ike recently kicked

Young kids need to learn how to talk. You can't tell the history of how your grandfather was born when your father is still alive

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by pixtuk(m): 11:41am On Jun 07, 2015
tribalism is what will kill wale adenuga. dem hating on Emeka Ike cus he is igbo but we no snd dem

6 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by OsoDupe(f): 11:56am On Jun 07, 2015
You are right Sir.

2 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Teeboy22(m): 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2015
cc: ishilove
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by CSTR2: 2:02pm On Jun 07, 2015
Well , nollywood is the biggest entertainment industry in africa.
The "yorubawood "and "hausawood " don't even come close.
Emeka ike must be a true visionary.
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by CSTR2: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
It is disappointing though that someone as educated and respected as wale adenuga is a tribalist.
Anyway, it is not surprising at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by stan4b(m): 3:08pm On Jun 07, 2015
The man dat taught us research methodology back den in school once said,“ it is the person that names the river, that is known as the founder”. So, since Emeka ike named the movie entertainment industry, I tink he might b right to av said he pioneered it.

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
CSTR2:
It is disappointing though that someone as educated and respected as wale adenuga is a tribalist.
Anyway, it is not surprising at the same time.
He was only being factual abeg. How many film festival has so called nollyhood films been rated high? Adelove, hubert ogunde, etc re d real piooner.
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:16pm On Jun 07, 2015
stan4b:
The man dat taught us research methodology back den in school once said,“ it is the person that names the river, that is known as the founder”. So, since Emeka ike named the movie entertainment industry, I tink he might b right to av said he pioneered it.

Gbam.
Just like mungo park discovered river Niger. Does it mean the indigenes around the river were inexistent

3 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
He was only being factual abeg. How many film festival has so called nollyhood films been rated high? Adelove, hubert ogunde, etc re d real piooner.

Home videos started in 92. Prior to that other tribes were making films esp theater things.
Also, the industry with role specifications as we know it today : producers, script, marketers,distributors, etc started in 92. It wasn't that way before .
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 07, 2015
The man should go and die...
Why didn't he pioneer it when Emeka Ike was in school...
Emeka Ike making a visionary move and yet another man wants to be accorded its credit..
Mehn let the man rot alive...

The man is just useless since he can't contribute into the visions of Nollywood...

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by bigfrancis21: 7:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
Teeboy22:

The facet of Nigerian movie industry as we know it today that is popular worldwide is the movie section that started off originally as an Igbo language movie industry. In the 80s, Igbo language movies were produced such as Ahanna. The Yorubas had begun acting in the 60s but their genre was theatrical arts and acting. The Igbos were to start much later, in the 80s. Living in Bondage was the Igbo language movie that kick-started what is known as Nollywood today. The movie gained nationwide acceptance and allure, upon which nigeria's movie industry was built. In the mid 90s, producers and actors decided to switch to speaking English to keep up with the new found demand for their movies and to accommodate non-Igbo speaking actors and actresses.

In effect, 'Nollywood' refers specifically to the English-Igbo speaking movie industry of Nigeria. Kannywood and Yorubawood service the hausa and yoruba speaking sections of Nigeria respectively, and are barely known beyond their regions.

The success and worldwide fame of nollywood today is attributed to the Igbos, and that fact cannot be denied no matter how hard one tries to. Nollywood is safely in the hands of Alaba Igbo boys cartel who run Nollywood. When certain Yorubas complain of piracy of their movies, the Alaba boys are only reminding them of the actual owners of Nollywood.

I'm not sure of this but I've read somewhere that Yoruba movie producers are not permitted to produce English-speaking movies, except by approval by the top committee of Nollywood. They are to stick only to producing Yoruba language movies, which only sell within Yoruba-speaking areas, and thus a much smaller consumer base than the greater English-Igbo movie industry, which is a business strategy that effectively ensures that the Yoruba-speaking movie industry remains fairly static financially and growth wise compared to the Igbo-English movie industry. Several Yoruba actors and actresses fare poorly financially compared to their English-Igbo speaking counterparts due to the limited growth and finance of their movie industry.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by macof(m): 7:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The facet of Nigerian movie industry as we know it today that is popular worldwide is the movie section that started off originally as an Igbo language movie industry. In the 80s, Igbo language movies were produced such as Ahanna. The Yorubas had begun acting in the 60s but their genre was theatrical arts and acting. The Igbos were to start much later, in the 80s. Living in Bondage was the Igbo language movie that kick-started what is known as Nollywood today. The movie gained nationwide acceptance and allure, upon which nigeria's movie industry was built. In the mid 90s, producers and actors decided to switch to speaking English to keep up with the new found demand for their movies and to accommodate non-Igbo speaking actors and actresses.

In effect, 'Nollywood' refers specifically to the English-Igbo speaking movie industry of Nigeria. Kannywood and Yorubawood service the hausa and yoruba speaking sections of Nigeria respectively, and are barely known beyond their regions.

The success and worldwide fame of nollywood today is attributed to the Igbos, and that fact cannot be denied no matter how hard one tries to. Nollywood is safely in the hands of Alaba Igbo boys cartel who run Nollywood. When certain Yorubas complain of piracy of their movies, the Alaba boys are only reminding them of the actual owners of Nollywood.

I'm not sure of this but I've read somewhere that Yoruba movie producers are not permitted to produce English-speaking movies, except by approval by the top committee of Nollywood. They are to stick only to producing Yoruba language movies, which only sell within Yoruba-speaking areas, and thus a much smaller consumer base than the greater English-Igbo movie industry, which is a business strategy that effectively ensures that the Yoruba-speaking movie industry remains fairly static financially and growth wise compared to the Igbo-English movie industry. Several Yoruba actors and actresses fare poorly financially compared to their English-Igbo speaking counterparts due to the limited growth and finance of their movie industry.

what do you mean by english - igbo movie? ?
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by macof(m): 8:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
The man should go and die...
Why didn't he pioneer it when Emeka Ike was in school...
Emeka Ike making a visionary move and yet another man wants to be accorded its credit..
Mehn let the man rot alive...

The man is just useless since he can contribute into the visions of Nollywood...

are u sure u are ok? Wale Adenuga useless? ? the man who runs the most famous Arts institution in Nigeria. .the man who produces Nigeria's greatest family drama?

1 Like

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by dihalao(m): 8:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Home videos started in 92. Prior to that other tribes were making films esp theater things.
Also, the industry with role specifications as we know it today : producers, script, marketers,distributors, etc started in 92. It wasn't that way before .

home videos started in 92' ?? sorry please when were you born?
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by macof(m): 8:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
CSTR2:
the same Emeka Ike who has starred in a few Yoruba speaking Movies?

WTF is yorubawood and hausawood? is that official? is there also an Igbowood?
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
macof:

are u sure u are ok? Wale Adenuga useless? ? the man who runs the most famous Arts institution in Nigeria. .the man who produces Nigeria's greatest family drama?

Who is he ?? Why don't they talk about him here in Anambra...?
We only know of Nollywood here...

Bleep the man... He should leave tribalism aside so he can thrive..

1 Like

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by macof(m): 8:18pm On Jun 07, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:

Who is he ?? Why don't they talk about him here in Anambra...?
We only know of Nollywood here...

Bleep the man... He should leave tribalism aside so he can thrive..

I think what the man meant was "yoruba and hausa spoken movies" are not part of the "nollywood" idea Emeka Ike is accused of claiming
there are many yoruba people involved in English spoken movies, just as there are "calabar" people and many others

oh! and if you really don't know Wale Adenuga then you live in a bush cus even in Ghana and Cameroun he is known

1 Like

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
[s]
macof:

I think what the man meant was "yoruba and hausa spoken movies" are not part of the "nollywood" idea Emeka Ike is accused of claiming
there are many yoruba people involved in English spoken movies, just as there are "calabar" people and many others

oh! and if you really don't know Wale Adenuga then you live in a bush cus even in Ghana and Cameroun he is known
[/s]

Keep thinking and keep making no sense...
Like I said earlier Emeka Ike should forget about the man because he is already useless in Nollywood if he can't contribute in its vision...

The man is only but an attention seeker...
Nollywood is blazing hot... Ghanaians are cruising it, so is the rest of the world...

1 Like

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:33pm On Jun 07, 2015
dihalao:

home videos started in 92' ?? sorry please when were you born?

See this one. Your first question shows you are even ignorant. Do you know what home videos mean to start with? No wonder you people are confused
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by dihalao(m): 8:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

See this one. Your first question shows you are even ignorant. Do you know what home videos mean to start with? No wonder you people are confused

you people would just come here and say what you dont know.
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by macof(m): 8:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
[s][/s]

Like I said earlier Emeka Ike should forget about the man because he is already useless in Nollywood if he can't contribute in its vision...

Nollywood is blazing hot... Ghanaians are cruising it, so is the rest of the world...

if you don't understand what I posted there then you have comprehension problems. ..try working on it

anyway suit urself
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by bi0nics: 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
CSTR2:
0de
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
dihalao:

you people would just come here and say what you dont know.
OK
I thought you were going to refute that again
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by Abbey2sam(m): 12:03am On Jun 08, 2015
lomprico:
Why is he trying to make it sound tribal? Secluding hausa n yoruba from nollywod? There are also igbo films made before ike was born.

was there ?

Could you be kind enough to mention one
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by bigfrancis21: 12:05am On Jun 08, 2015
macof:

what do you mean by english - igbo movie? ?

English because the actors speak English and Igbo because the elements of culture portrayed in the background and the actors/actresses thereof are Igbo, coupled with Igbo words used here and there such as 'igwe', 'nna anyi', 'biko' etc.
Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by bigfrancis21: 12:10am On Jun 08, 2015
macof:

To be honest, Wale Adenuga isn't as popular as you think he is. I only know him because of 'Super story' I used to watch as a kid.

Infact I had to think for a few seconds to recall who he was when I read the thread's title.

Don't overblow his popularity beyond proportions. Among the Yorubas, I think Kunle Afolayan is more popular than him.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Ike Founded Nollywood In 1992 Yoruba & Hausa Not A Part Of It-wale Adenuga by bigfrancis21: 12:15am On Jun 08, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
[s][/s]

Number 2 in the world in annual movie production and number 3 in the world, behind Hollywood and Bollywood, in terms of gross earnings. The success of Nollywood in a little just under 25 years is exemplary.

The popularity of Nollywood worldwide, especially amongst blacks is outstanding. Haitians love Nollywood movies a lot, especially the village/cultural movies. They resonate deeply with the culture portrayed in the movies as it reminds them of their ancestral origins in Africa. Ghanaians collaborate with Nollywood to release movies so that their movies will sell to the wider Nollywood consumer base.

Tell me, why wouldn't other people want to partake in its glory? grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dairy Of A Kitchen Lover, Tolani Is Morning Fresh’s Official Brand Ambassador / Meet The World's Sexiest Nurse (photos) / This 20 Photos Of This Big Boobs Woman Will Make You Wonder If She Has N!pples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.