Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,644 members, 7,820,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? (13606 Views)

What Are D Gr8est Problems Facing Technologists(it Professionals Etc)in Nigeria? / Mainone Calling All IT Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 12:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
Before I go ahead let me introduce myself. I am a certified database administrator and a professional website developer. I am a startup business owner with a small clientele but I am looking forward to expand to become bigger in the nearest future, but......

Is it only me feeling this or do other IT Professionals feel the same way? Are we neglecting IT in this country? We are supposed to be the technology drive force of this country but it seems most of us are struggling getting our feet stable on the ground. When I talk about IT Professionals, I mean the core ones who have either certified or undergone a certain degree of training in fields like Database Administration, website and mobile apps development, Programming and software development, systems audit, network administration, hardware maintenance and engineering etc.

I need answers, what is the future of IT in Nigeria? We see entertainment and agriculture growing in the country but I feel IT is completely neglected

It is my understanding that many IT professionals go into the field to be self employed or consultants, so they are entrepreneurs by this measure, but why can't we access loans and startup credit facility to establish our own companies and build on what we already have invested lots of money in? It costs a lot of money to get trained in IT so I think we deserve some credit and empowerment from government

I need answers and suggestions please. Thank You.

6 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by braine(m): 1:21pm On Jun 07, 2015
You see, IT professionals are not neglected. Information Technology is the one of the major backbones of Nigeria's economy today. The problem is that they are on the lowkey and inhouse. Companies need IT professionals but won't state it publicly. The field is still thriving.

Looking at developed countries like China, US, UK et al, you'll see that IT is one of their major support. Don't give up.

9 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 1:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
braine:
You see, IT professionals are not neglected. Information Technology is the one of the major backbones of Nigeria's economy today. The problem is that they are on the lowkey and inhouse. Companies need IT professionals but won't state it publicly. The field is still thriving.

Looking at developed countries like China, US, UK et al, you'll see that IT is one of their major support. Don't give up.

Thanks for your input. But I still feel IT Professionals need some sort of special attention that Agriculture is getting today. When you travel abroad, its so easy getting a job in the IT sector, you see a lot of companies advertising everyday including startup companies and you'll easily see where you fit in. IT, health, food and construction are the major fields growing developed economies of the world but IT is much more outstanding because not many people can bend down and study codes and computer processes so the people who go into it are well paid, but in Nigeria the opportunities are so few and startup loans and credit to invest on one is so hard to get

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by realGURU(m): 2:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
check sasuwa blog

9 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by slys(m): 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
Most of us are over worked. The pay sef is not equivalent to the burden and struggle we go through. But really must the government come to our aid before we make it big? We can do something of our own without the government aid, the big guys across hardly had government aid but over here, any little thing we look forward to the government to be the catalyst.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by laurel03(m): 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
U dey ask me na who I go ask
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by corkpikin(m): 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
I av a start up idea targeting 1% gsm users in Nigeria ..to upgrade for a premium service and enjoy the benefits of the startup, you press a keypad command on your phone #100 then you can fully enjoy the benefit of a full member ... still brainstorming adding new idea to it .ROI let say #100 ×1% mobile users in Nigeria if 120, 000, 000 mobile #100 × 1.2 =# 120, 000, 000 let say we met out target in 3 months. ?.facebook is a brand, bbm is a brand, whatsapp is a brand, dating app is a brand ...geez! I envy Donjazzy ooo e don even get in own App which he sells for less than #2 imagine with is followers 1% of that market ..I must hamma when the time come's funny enough I give ideas to I . T boys God help us In HD wink

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by slys(m): 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
Capital YES
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nairalandar: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
ok... keep calm n check my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by damiloladuke: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
yes

DO YOU DESIRE TO KNOW BLOGGING AND MAKE MONEY WITH IT.
ONLINE BLOGGING TRAINING WITH 4 GREAT BLOGGING EBOOKS, AT A GREAT DISCOUNT.
STARTING TOMORROW.

VISIT www.teamcrea8.com
CALL OR WHATSAPP 08038606260
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by 2oddMASTER: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
Dedicate this to FCB trebble winners!!

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by 15thMonica: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
Buhari must see this and he must do something if he want he to practice my IT skill in Nigeria

cc Buhari
cc Osinbajo
cc emmmm emmm "minister of communication" if dir is one.

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by princeduke2013: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
Space booked...brb
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by eedrissa(m): 2:38pm On Jun 07, 2015
Buhari safe the masses stop touring
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
To all IT professionals out there(to which I am one in d making) I say unto thee work hard, be independent and believe me every other things will follow.. U will be the one turning down interviews and hiring people of ur own instead wink smiley
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by bigerboy200: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
Not neglected but underutilised..

2 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by CY09: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
undecided
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
OK comments loading...

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by realGURU(m): 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
U people shouldbe creative , you already have the skill what next next,
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
I sit down dey watch
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nairalandar: 2:41pm On Jun 07, 2015
john4reala:
OK comments loading...
till thy kingdom come ryt?
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ThatITguru(m): 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
greggles:
Before I go ahead let me introduce myself. I am a certified database administrator and a professional website developer. I am a startup business owner with a small clientele but I am looking forward to expand to become bigger in the nearest future, but......

Is it only me feeling this or do other IT Professionals feel the same way? Are we neglecting IT in this country? We are supposed to be the technology drive force of this country but it seems most of us are struggling getting our feet stable on the ground. When I talk about IT Professionals, I mean the core ones who have either certified or undergone a certain degree of training in fields like Database Administration, website and mobile apps development, Programming and software development, systems audit, network administration, hardware maintenance and engineering etc.

I need answers, what is the future of IT in Nigeria? We see entertainment and agriculture growing in the country but I feel IT is completely neglected

It is my understanding that many IT professionals go into the field to be self employed or consultants, so they are entrepreneurs by this measure, but why can't we access loans and startup credit facility to establish our own companies and build on what we already have invested lots of money in? It costs a lot of money to get trained in IT so I think we deserve some credit and empowerment from government

I need answers and suggestions please. Thank You.

I am expertise in IT infrastructure and network architecture.
You made a point right there boss.

You bet the neglect of IT sector is one of the causes of stunted technological advancement in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
Well, it takes an IT professional at the helm of affairs of this country to really understand what it entails.

The might be skeptical about the amount of interest gained if they should invest in IT - which I believe will take a lot of money.

We will still get there.

I don't believe that they are neglected.
Most companies just prefer to recruit foreign workers.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by abbey621(m): 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
If you are looking for government support, I would say don't hold your breathe! If you are looking for private sector support I would say create a product or service that would revolutionize the industry. Nigeria's job market is still very much in it's infancy and we are yet to fully undergo the industrial revolution. When it comes to I.T, it's either you are relevant or not. The problem with most Nigerian I.T professionals is that they try to be a 'Jack of all trades' kind of employee. No one is inventing rather we are using recycled products and/or services. What I'm trying to say here is this; create your product or service to suit the needs of the consumers or organizations!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Oildichotomy(m): 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
I can't say the IT industry or professionals are neglected, First of all, Politicians hold sway in decision making and they consider the sector that best serve their personal pockets.

But the truth be told,Nigeria IT guys are not too creative, we are still stuck with the recycling of already existing technologies and online business seems to be the current wave. In short, what we do is basically adopt and "Nigerianise" western IT to our environment. While that might solve some purposes, it is not inventive enough.

Until we are develop entirely new disruptive technologies like what Oracle did to database management, Facebook and twitter did to social media etc. We will play second fiddle to other sectors and scream neglect and no one will take us serious.

Let's get our creative syntax caps on and trust me we will break even to bridge the supposed funding gap we currently experience

Thumbs up to the Markessien and the likes. We are getting there!

4 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by khassy(m): 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
guess DBA's suffer it more

programmers don't suffer as much or so I think
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by madskills(m): 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
We share d same thot bruv Am a network admin (CCNP And MCITP 2008) waiting 4 our services 2 b harnessed by Naija...soon and very soon I believe we will be there!Nigerians learn fast
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by legaxi(m): 2:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
Nigerians don't believe in themselves when it comes to technology, they will always go for foreign gadgets no matter how inferior it is.

For that reason alone you guys should forget development but rather keep dreaming about it.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by amichaelz101(m): 2:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
I'v just grown interest and am abt starting training, But OP wana discourage me. now am confused cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Design A Free Php Login Page / Can't Subscribe To Glo Data Plan? Try This alternative and see..Trendsgadget.com / Discover the 10 Most Powerful Tips of Digital Marketing in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.