Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Rules Of Engagement In Public Toilets & Bathrooms - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Rules Of Engagement In Public Toilets & Bathrooms (887 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife At Seyi Tinubu's Engagement Party / See What Nigerians Do Inside Public Toilets(photos) / Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rules Of Engagement In Public Toilets & Bathrooms by Nobody: 1:17am On Jun 09, 2015
Spending 10 years of my life living with random people in the hostel must be one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done. I’ve met a lot of different folks coming from different backgrounds with their own unique baggage of wahala. What character have I not met? Is it the narcissist? Or the miss nosey, the gullible, the boxing champion (Mayweather), the virgin mary, infact the Magdalene? That weirdo that is so interesting to pick on or the aunty don’t-sit-on-my-bed? The elejo wewe, the alabosi? The over-defensive I’m-always-right chic? The forever stuck-in-the-cinema babe (always watching movies) or the walking Google who knows the names of all the Kardashians including what food they ate for breakfast? And that one idiot that gets on every other person’s nerve? I’ve had my own share of wahala too; you can guess which one they are at your own peril. There are those special breed that liter everywhere with their personal belongings. You know those bra-on-the-fan, leggings-under-the-bed kind of people?
Over the years, I’ve realized that some people would rather live in a zoo than stay in a five star hotel. It’s no use talking too much because your speech will fall on deaf ears anyway. Don’t even think of doing it all by yourself, you’ll die frustrated. The neat freak that I am has been able to adapt to the reality of life in the hostel. I can live in the dungeon literally and still manage to maintain my sanity. One thing I can’t stand however is a messy toilet or bathroom. Yuck, that shit is disgusting. Some people don’t even know they are doing it wrong. Hence, I’m going to highlight some “dos and donts” in this post (okay, mostly donts). These are the things to always note;

1. It is not your father’s property
I’ve been in situations when I’ve asked someone to pour water gently and the reply I got was “This is a public bathroom, water is bound to splash”. Exactly! Water is bound to splash and that is the more reason you need to stop pouring water like you are in your father’s bathroom. Learn to be considerate while using the toilet or bathroom. Don’t make other users uncomfortable. It’s simple courtesy.

2. Learn to share
Some people will take space that belongs to two people and have their baths. Now that is not fair. A long queue is waiting, yet you still decide to do chairman when you can manage to accommodate someone else. Haba! Fear God o.

3. Keep personal things personal
In as much as it is a public toilet or bathroom, there is still room for personal space. For instance, while hanging your towel or undies, learn to keep it away from that of others. This is for hygienic reasons. You don’t know who is carrying Hepatitis B.

4. Do your dirty business in a corner
This is especially important for bathrooms that have poor drainage systems. You don’t want to brush your teeth or urinate where you know it will flow right into another person’s path. Find a corner to do your nonsense.

5. Always carry at least a blow of water with you
Nigerian public bathrooms and toilets hardly have running water. Heck! Even private ones don’t have. Hence, for the sake of everyone’s sanity, always take a bowl of water to rinse off your rubbish. This will prevent unnecessary smell from oozing out.

6. Don’t squeeze yourself into spaces unnecessarily
I know I already stated that you should learn to share. Nevertheless, also try to stay away when it’s pretty obvious that where you are trying to squeeze into is not manageable. No one wants to take a shower from you.

7. Flush! Flush! Flush!
I cannot emphasize this enough. How do you live with someone else seeing the debris coming out of your body? There’s nothing that screams dirty than you not flushing a toilet after using it. Even if you urinate, make sure you flush. You are not a baby; your urine no longer has an aroma. The habit of “well I met it dirty” needs to stop. If you can’t use a dirty toilet, flush before AND after use. Why would you even use a dirty toilet in the first place? If you have a running stomach, flush each time you are done with your business. You won’t die.

8. Wipe the surface of the seat
Wipe the toilet seat clean before using it. For ladies, you are not even supposed to sit on a public toilet. Learn the art of stooping. For the guys, wipe the toilet seat clean when you are done urinating. Biko, pity other users. Nobody wants rashes.

9. Learn to use the dustbin
The dustbin is not there for showcase. Please learn to throw whatever is not palatable to the eyes into it. Don’t let us see what we cannot unsee.

10. Wash your hands!
Sometimes I feel like I was the only one trained to do this while growing up. How do you use the toilet without washing your hands? Don’t just rinse! Wash with soap. If you want to die of cholera at least try to save the unsuspecting individuals that will shake your hands.

Well, this is all for now. I’ll be back for more.
For more posts like this, visit my blog [url]omobascraze.[/url]

2 Likes

Re: Rules Of Engagement In Public Toilets & Bathrooms by donttouch: 8:04am On Jun 09, 2015
11. Do mot urinate where u are supposed to poo-poo
Re: Rules Of Engagement In Public Toilets & Bathrooms by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 09, 2015
donttouch:
11. Do mot urinate where u are supposed to poo-poo

Lol....more like - do not poop where you are meant to urinate

(1) (Reply)

The Man Who Speaks 11 Languages / Happy New Year Wishes Quotes 2016 / Nigerians In Chicago Adjust To Western Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.