Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,807 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

The Man Who Speaks 11 Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Man Who Speaks 11 Languages (886 Views)

Man Who Visited Emir Sanusi’s Library In Kano Is Shocked (Photos) / Any Man Who Sleeps With Ooni's Ex-Queen Will Die If Not Cleansed - Ifa Priest / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Man Who Speaks 11 Languages by namdo(m): 9:03am On Oct 12, 2015
This is a wake-up call for all those who dream of becoming multilingual: just do it! Luca Lampariello talks about where he finds the motivation for learning languages, and how he’s learned 11 so far.

"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere." ‒ Chinese Proverb

"Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going" – Rita Mae Brown

Luca Lampariello does not think that learning a language is difficult, some of us, however, think it is indeed difficult. In his words "I agree that language learning is cool, but I challenge the assumption that it’s difficult". I think it differs from person to person and interest. Some very interesting points are raised towards learning a language easily.

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart." ‒ Nelson Mandela

"Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own." ‒ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

-- Languages cannot be taught, they can only be learned. Having someone or something to aid with the process is of great benefit. Find a guide, not an instructor.

-- A language is a door to an entire world which is wholly worth exploring. So let your guard down and fall in love! With the language, with the country, with a person, or even with the food. There’s no greater motivation!

-- Language learning offers you profound insights into your own, native language. If you learn a language similar to yours, speak it from the beginning. It’s easier than you perhaps imagine.

-- There is no such thing as a useless language. They will all come in handy sooner or later, so don’t let others determine what you learn. Allow yourself to be guided by your own interests and convictions.

-- Start working on pronunciation from the very beginning to avoid developing bad habits. Be flexible. If a language has an idiosyncratic feature, work on it more from the start

-- If you are about to give up on a language, actively search for something that reignites your desire to learn. Go to the country, meet someone, watch a movie, make a YouTube video. Anything goes.

-- You can learn two languages at the same time provided that you organize your time and energy well.

-- Travel is a truly great motivator. Travel as much as you can, whenever you can. It will open doors and push you to learn languages.

-- Don’t be intimidated by a language’s reputation.

-- Some languages have completely new features, so be flexible and adapt your learning method to the language. If your approach is not working, change it! Don’t give up. Don’t give in.

Speaking multiple languages is not and shouldn’t be an intellectual performance. It is an act of love towards yourself and others which helps you discover the amazing diversity of human nature as well as discovering the multiple facets of your personality. Asked why he likes learning so many languages his reply: “I don’t live to learn languages, I learn languages to live a better life”.

I hope this helps anyone interested in acquiring more languages during lifetime.

Source: https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/learning-11-languages-taught-me-11-crucial-lessons?bsc=engmag-a54-vid-bv15-lucalanguages-gbr-tb&btp=default&utm_campaign=cd_engall_gen_cuk_lucalanguages&utm_medium=CON&utm_source=taboola&utm_term=eslmedia-theindependent

(1) (Reply)

Dead Nigerian Languages:10 Local Mother Tongues, You Will Never Get To Hear / Uniuyo Gst 123 Term Paper - Marriage Description In Ibibio, Akwaibom / Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.