Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' (1391 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Should Follow Jesus Instead Of Celebrities / Who Is This God Modern Christians Follow? / Why I Left Islam To Follow Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by lanrexlan(m): 6:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
I want to be like 'Jesus' is a common slogan of many Christians today but in reality are they striving to adhere to his rules and teachings?

'Jesus' gave some 'interesting' rules in the bible but since all these years of mine spent with christians I haven't found anyone who could bold enough to take up these teachings of Christ.

What Should We Call This? First Law Of Motion?
'Jesus' was reported to have said by two gospel writers Luke and Matthew that Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.. I haven't found a christian that would be bold enough to receive a hot slap and turn the other cheek to me. I attended a Christian primary school coupled with another six years in a catholic secondary school but all my CRS teachers NEVER taught us this rule of Christ. We were never been taught that if anyone bullies us or slap us, we should just turn the other cheek to him and come home gently. So how many Nairaland Christian follows this? Or how many have taught his/her kids such?

Did Jesus actually follow his own rule?

Yorubas would say "Esin waju ni teyin wo sare" which means 'A leader should lead by a example'.

When 'Jesus' was encountered with a similar situation, he didn't follow his rule but he was lamenting when his own rule was practicalised on him .The bible says in John 18:22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so? John 18:23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me? Exactly what would expect a normal human being to say .If anyone slaps you and as an upright thinking human being, you will surely ask for your offence and not just turn the other cheek to him while looking as Dumbo.

N B Muslims don't try this with your Christian friends, you may lose a tooth. grin

2 Likes

Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by Rilwayne001: 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2015
grin grin ROTFL…

I have seen pastor fighting with an Okada man because he was forming thug after breaking the pastor's side mirror. grin Mortal combats things that day.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by Rilwayne001: 6:56pm On Jun 09, 2015
lanrexlan:

N B Muslims don't try this with your Christian friends, you may lose a tooth. grin

grin grin TRUE TALK…
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 7:10pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ignorance of the Op and his associates.

The disciples asked him why he spoke to the people in parables.He said that it might be fulfilled in them that which was spoken by the prophet Esais,that they having eyes should not see and having ears should not understand.For the heart of these people is waxed gross lest they be converted and I should heal them.

1 Like

Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by lanrexlan(m): 9:50pm On Jun 14, 2015
thorpido:

The disciples asked him why he spoke to the people in parables.He said that it might be fulfilled in them that which was spoken by the prophet Esais,that they having eyes should not see and having ears should not understand.For the heart of these people is waxed gross lest they be converted and I should heal them.
How does this correlates to what is posted? And if it does in your reasoning, explain the parable to us.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2015
lanrexlan:
How does this correlates to what is posted? And if it does in your reasoning, explain the parable to us.
The passage you quoted speaks of your ignorance.I'll give you the assignment of finding out what it means.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by lanrexlan(m): 10:33pm On Jun 14, 2015
thorpido:
The passage you quoted speaks of your ignorance.I'll give you the assignment of finding out what it means.
Off the thread, you have nothing reasonable to say sir.
Bye
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by tintingz(m): 11:57pm On Jun 14, 2015
Jesus in the bible went to the temple and turn the money changers and the market people tables away angrily, he didn't turn the other cheek. cheesy
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 8:45am On Jun 15, 2015
^^^because they lack the understanding to know he spoke figuratively.
lanrexlan:
Off the thread, you have nothing reasonable to say sir.
Bye
They say you have nothing reasonable to say to hide their ignorance.

'...having eyes but would not see...'(Mark 8:18).
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by lanrexlan(m): 11:33pm On Jun 17, 2015
thorpido:
^^^because they lack the understanding to know he spoke figuratively.They say you have nothing reasonable to say to hide their ignorance.

'...having eyes but would not see...'(Mark 8:18).
Your problem is very concentrated.
Fond of saying the same thing when asked simple question. If it is figuratively, will you mind explaining to us?
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 1:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
lanrexlan:
Your problem is very concentrated.
Fond of saying the same thing when asked simple question. If it is figuratively, will you mind explaining to us?
You have to understand the context in which Jesus made that statement and the people he made the statement to.
Study from verse 38...........;Jesus said,ye have heard that it hath been said,an eye for an eye,and a tooth for a tooth:but I say unto you,that ye resist not evil:but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek,turn to him the other also..................
He was talking to the Jews who had the law of Moses that gave them a right to revenge.They could pay back evil for evil......a tooth for a tooth.Jesus brought the message of forgiveness and grace.He was teaching them a new way,God's better way.What he meant by turn the other cheek is that you don't revenge,you learn to walk away from confrontations and situations that could bring about destruction.You don't take offence for a hurt and retaliate.
Turning the cheek was figurative.He didn't literarily mean the human body.

I pray for you that the true Light of God will shine upon your heart this Ramadan season.Some have found the true Light and Jesus at such period.

I hope I have been able to solve your concentrated problem.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by architez: 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2015
lanrexlan:
I want to be like 'Jesus' is a common slogan of many Christians today but in reality are they striving to adhere to his rules and teachings?

'Jesus' gave some 'interesting' rules in the bible but since all these years of mine spent with christians I haven't found anyone who could bold enough to take up these teachings of Christ.

What Should We Call This? First Law Of Motion?
'Jesus' was reported to have said by two gospel writers Luke and Matthew that Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.. I haven't found a christian that would be bold enough to receive a hot slap and turn the other cheek to me. I attended a Christian primary school coupled with another six years in a catholic secondary school but all my CRS teachers NEVER taught us this rule of Christ. We were never been taught that if anyone bullies us or slap us, we should just turn the other cheek to him and come home gently. So how many Nairaland Christian follows this? Or how many have taught his/her kids such?

Did Jesus actually follow his own rule?

Yorubas would say "Esin waju ni teyin wo sare" which means 'A leader should lead by a example'.

When 'Jesus' was encountered with a similar situation, he didn't follow his rule but he was lamenting when his own rule was practicalised on him .The bible says in John 18:22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so? John 18:23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me? Exactly what would expect a normal human being to say .If anyone slaps you and as an upright thinking human being, you will surely ask for your offence and not just turn the other cheek to him while looking as Dumbo.

TRUE

Forgive me.
There is this raging thread where they r saying that Muhammad (PBUH) slept with a six year old. Please help me tell them it's not true.
Here is the link:

https://www.nairaland.com/2439827/age-consent-sex-what-want
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by Weah96: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
thorpido:

Later you will say that the same person was the creator of all hearts, ears, and eyes. How can a creator not know how to operate his own product?
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 2:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
Weah96:

Later you will say that the same person was the creator of all hearts, ears, and eyes. How can a creator not know how to operate his own product?
When He created man,He created him with a free will because he was made in His own image.He does not control man even though He created man.
If He wanted robots,then they would have had total control.
Knowledge is key.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by Weah96: 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2015
thorpido:
When He created man,He created him with a free will because he was made in His own image.He does not control man even though He created man.
If He wanted robots,then they would have had total control.
Knowledge is key.

Freewill implies that the God is lacking the power to know the future. For someone who claims to exist outside of time and know people before they're born, I don't think that there's a lot of freewill going on. In fact, freewill contradicts the existence of the God because we've been told that everything happens according to his will.

Eg. Permission was required to punish Job who was a Christian in his own time. Satan and Job couldn't do anything, they both needed approval. Not only that, but the God ALREADY knew the outcome of the horrible game. It was Satan who didn't know.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by thorpido(m): 3:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Weah96:

Freewill implies that the God is lacking the power to know the future. For someone who claims to exist outside of time and know people before they're born, I don't think that there's a lot of freewill going on. In fact, freewill contradicts the existence of the God because we've been told that everything happens according to his will.

Eg. Permission was required to punish Job who was a Christian in his own time. Satan and Job couldn't do anything, they both needed approval. Not only that, but the God ALREADY knew the outcome of the horrible game. It was Satan who didn't know.
Everything does not happen according to God's will.Well,He didn't create man to function that way.
The story of Job requires spiritual insight to understand it.I don't have the time to explain now.
You're an atheist so probably will not understand.God's ways are beyond logic.
Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by NumberOne2(m): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
lanrexlan:

'Jesus' was reported to have said by two gospel writers Luke and Matthew that Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.. I haven't found a christian that would be bold enough to receive a hot slap and turn the other cheek to me.

Hmmm, so you mean that Jesus said: Turn the other cheek literarily to collect another slap?
Can it also mean:
1) Do not revenge
2) Accept it as such
3) Forgive

Google Def:
turn the other cheek: refrain from retaliating when one has been attacked or insulted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=meaning+of+turn+the+other+cheek&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Hope that helps you.

PS: Google is not a Christian site. You may want to consider using it when reading the bible

2 Likes

Re: How Many Christians Follow Jesus' Rule Of 'Turn The Other Cheek?' by malvisguy212: 10:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
NumberOne2:

Hmmm, so you mean that Jesus said: Turn the other cheek literarily to collect another slap?
Can it also mean:
1) Do not revenge
2) Accept it as such
3) Forgive

Google Def:
turn the other cheek: refrain from retaliating when one has been attacked or insulted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=meaning+of+turn+the+other+cheek&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Hope that helps you.

PS: Google is not a Christian site. You may want to consider using it when reading the bible
nice reply bro.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Red Sea: Archaeologists Discover Remains Of Egyptian Army From D Biblical Exodus / What Does It Mean To Use Vain Repetitions In Prayer? / Golden Temple ( Punjab India ) The Holiest Temple In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.