Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,163 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To (12933 Views)

Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men. / Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? / Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Buy 5 times the 5w20 that you need and 5 separate oil filters, drain the 20w50, pour in the 5w20, drive the car with the new oil for 1000 miles and do an oil and filter change, repeat 4 more times with a new filter each time after clocking another 1000 miles between each oil change (if you are not paranoid) OR reduce the interval to 200 miles and do the oil change 5 times with a new filter each time you have clocked 200 miles (if you are paranoid) and you will not have any issues thereafter.

See the very last paragraph, please read it slowly and very carefully!

If I were the one doing the change, I would do the 200 miles option, and do the 200 miles every day for 5 days, and at the last oil change, I would revert to the factory recommended Oil Change Interval!

Unless it can be proved that you have a worn engine, in which case you may have to do 5w30 or 5w40
I did what I can rightly call the first 5w-20 change with filter and had to top up about 2l with much less than 1000m drive. What do you have to say about that? Is it a sign of worn engine?
What are the signs of worn engine?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
Quality 5W20 cost around 12k for 5liters.

12,000X5 = 60,000. Still more cost effective to replace engine.

3 Likes

Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 9:53pm On Jun 11, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Buy 5 times the 5w20 that you need and 5 separate oil filters, drain the 20w50, pour in the 5w20, drive the car with the new oil for 1000 miles and do an oil and filter change, repeat 4 more times with a new filter each time after clocking another 1000 miles between each oil change (if you are not paranoid) OR reduce the interval to 200 miles and do the oil change 5 times with a new filter each time you have clocked 200 miles (if you are paranoid) and you will not have any issues thereafter.

See the very last paragraph of my post above, please read it slowly and very carefully!

If I were the one doing the change, I would do the 200 miles option, and do the 200 miles every day for 5 days, and at the last oil change, I would revert to the factory recommended Oil Change Interval!

Unless it can be proved that you have a worn engine, in which case you may have to do 5w30 or 5w40
Let's assume I'm to use mobile 1, it goes for 12k per can. 5x12=60.
So 60k just to change oil? That's enough for a new engine in my honda accord 2001 model, so you should understand if I say ur method is not reasonable for me.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 9:55pm On Jun 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Quality 5W20 cost around 12k for 5liters.

12,000X5 = 60,000. Still more cost effective to replace engine.
You beat me to this calculation, especially when you are talking about my engine that costs less than 50k.

Please, Boss Gazz, what are the signs of a worn engine?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:41pm On Jun 11, 2015
Macmilla:

I did what I can rightly call the first 5w-20 change with filter and had to top up about 2l with much less than 1000m drive. What do you have to say about that? Is it a sign of worn engine?

Is the 5w20 you use fully synthetic or semi-synthetic?
Which brand?
What vehicle?
What engine?
Is it known to short oil?
Is it known to sludge?
Have you been religiously following the recommended Oil Change Interval (OCI)?
What is the history of service of the vehicle?
What filter do you use with the vehicle?

First of all, my advice applies to a case of a badly sludged engine, if your engine is not badly sludged, you can just follow the least recommended OCI for your vehicle with the 5w20.

When I switched, I simply changed from 20w50(mineral) to 5w40(full synthetic) and then to 5w30(full synthetic).

I didn't apply all the above because

(1) my engine has no history of sludge or is not known to have sludge problems and even when I used 20w50 mineral oil, i followed a 3000 miles OCI very religiously before switching to a 5,000 mile OCI

(2) I followed the a 5,000 mile change interval for the oil and oil filter (twice) with the 5w40; but 7,500 miles for the oil itself thrice with 5w40 and even 9,000 miles thrice with 5w40; am now doing 15,000 miles oil change/oil filter interval with 5w30 and I have just 4,000 miles left to complete the 15,000 miles OCI, when I do that drain, I will send the oil to Blackstone Labs to confirm if indeed I can continue to maintain the 15,000 miles OCI. Note: It was only during my attempt to stretch the OCI to 15,000 miles that I have ever had to top oil, I have so far topped 1.5L.

In your case, I think, as soon as you get to 1,000 miles, do an Oil and Oil Filter change with the same fully synthetic oil.

Until I get specific answers to the questions above, I cannot give you a more specific advice.

Is your engine worn? I can't say, but this link will enlighten you and help you decide: http://www.coastmotorsupply.com/does_my_engine_need_rebuilding.html
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:47pm On Jun 11, 2015
Macmilla:

So 60k just to change oil? That's enough for a new engine in my honda accord 2001 model, so you should understand if I say ur method is not reasonable for me.

Life is not sometimes YES or NO, sometimes you also get the answer MAYBE.

In the same vein, we have BLACK and WHITE and GREY.

I just wanted you all to have all the options before you decide that is to say the risk benefit analysis:

1. option 1 continue to use 20W50
2. option 2 switch to 5w20 and use the same engine
3. option 3 switch to 5w20 and use another engine
4. option 4 don't switch but use a different oil say 15w40
5. option 5 switch to 15w40 and use the same engine

Whatever you decide, I simply tried to provide further enlightenment so you take a well-thought out decision, whatever you decide, it all depends on factors that I may not fully appreciate or understand, all I know I simply shared information to aid the decision

If your engine does not show any signs of being worn, why replace it? I certainly wouldn't, especially given that the condition of the tokunbo engine may be hit or miss since its history cannot be absolutely verified
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 11:19pm On Jun 11, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Life is not sometimes YES or NO, sometimes you also get the answer MAYBE.

In the same vein, we have BLACK and WHITE and GREY.

I just wanted you all to have all the options before you decide that is to say the risk benefit analysis:

1. option 1 continue to use 20W50
2. option 2 switch to 5w20 and use the same engine
3. option 3 switch to 5w20 and use another engine
4. option 4 don't switch but use a different oil say 15w40
5. option 5 switch to 15w40 and use the same engine

Whatever you decide, I simply tried to provide further enlightenment so you take a well-thought out decision, whatever you decide, it all depends on factors that I may not fully appreciate or understand, all I know I simply shared information to aid the decision

If your engine does not show any signs of being worn, why replace it? I certainly wouldn't, especially given that the condition of the tokunbo engine may be hit or miss since its history cannot be absolutely verified

Thanks, bro. I appreciate your information. Like you said, I'm trying to make an informed decision. If you were in my shoes, considering the price of my engine, what would you do?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:21pm On Jun 11, 2015
Macmilla:

Thanks, bro. I appreciate your information. Like you said, I'm trying to make an informed decision. If you were in my shoes, considering the price of my engine, what would you do?

Please answer the questions raised in my post earlier?
Is the 5w20 you use fully synthetic or semi-synthetic?
Which brand?
What vehicle?
What engine?
Is it known to short oil?
Is it known to sludge?
Have you been religiously following the recommended Oil Change Interval (OCI)?
What is the history of service of the vehicle?
What filter do you use with the vehicle?
What is the current mileage of the vehicle?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by xcitedjay(m): 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2015
Macmilla:

Signs of worn engine includes; Smoking, loss of power, oil shortage, etc.

Changing your engine will definitely earn you a greater peace of mind.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Segzie8180: 9:22am On Jun 13, 2015
Piyke:

Most manufacturers advise against engine flushes (I am sure of Honda) especially in modern vehicles. Except you have a valid sludge case, I wouldn't advice anyone to do an engine flush simply because you want to switch to a lower weight oil. Note that some people have developed problems following flushes. If you do regular highway driving and maintain oil changes as scheduled you shouldn't have sludge.

I agree with you boss but these manufacturers does not expect you to use heavy weight oil in modern vehicles in as we have been doing here. Quality synthetic oil will not build sludge in your engine and that is why they will not recommend using engine flush.
My point is that for you to change your oil from mineral or conventional oil which we have mostly in our market to full synthetic oil ..... Please flush your engine to avoid complications. You can research it online
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2015
xcitedjay:

Signs of worn engine includes; Smoking, loss of power, oil shortage, etc.

Changing your engine will definitely earn you a greater peace of mind.
Just found where my expensive 5w-20 has been leaking from. I'm so happy cos it means my engine is not dead as implied by this thread cos fixing will markedly reduce if not stop the oil shortages. grin
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:43pm On Jul 07, 2015
Macmilla:

Just found where my expensive 5w-20 has been leaking from. I'm so happy cos it means my engine is not dead as implied by this thread cos fixing will markedly reduce if not stop the oil shortages. grin

Where is it leaking from?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 11:39pm On Jul 07, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Where is it leaking from?
I don't know how to describe it cos I'm not a mech. undecided
It's leaking from the joint between the bottom pan and the engine block. My mech will loosen the pan, put gasket gum or whatever and mount it back. grin
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by leadknight123(m): 9:47am On Jul 08, 2015
changing your oil specification to the manufacturer's recommendations is a good decision, with a very good synthetic oil you don't have to worry much about the outcome, a good synthetic oil possess detergent properties that actually cleans out the engine, after the second service at most your vehicle engine re-adapts itself to the new change. point of note, if you're changing your oil change it to a better oil, always go from good to better.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 1:30am On Jul 18, 2015
Macmilla:

I don't know how to describe it cos I'm not a mech. undecided
It's leaking from the joint between the bottom pan and the engine block. My mech will loosen the pan, put gasket gum or whatever and mount it back. grin
Update:
After almost two weeks of battling with my oil leak, I think I finally fixed the damn thing.
Initially, we thought it was my bottom pan but after remounting it twice and finally replacing it with a new one, we kept seeing oil down there and my oil level kept going down. We then had to think out of the box. My mech opened the plastic covering the timing belt and lo and behold, the whole place was messed up with oil. It was leaking obviously from the crankshaft oil seal and oil pump oil seal. It drains down to mess up the pan making us think the pan is the culprit. We changed both oil seals. I'll still watch to make sure it has completely stopped.

So, to all those facing oil shortages after going back to 5w-20, just go under there, find where it's dropping from and plug it up. Nothing to worry about. Check the pan and all the oil seals on the block.

The oil starts leaking because it's much lighter than the 20w-50 which you have been using and therefore penetrates worn cleavages that 20w-50 would not penetrate.

I think the ppl that got knocked engine were not observant enough to notice the leakage and eventually they had an empty engine that knocked. Common sense should tell us that an engine with the recommended oil IN IT should not knock unless the oil is no longer in it.

So my own advice, change to the recommended oil, your engine won't knock. Mine didn't. Just watch out for leaks over a week or two of active driving. If any leaks, fix it ASAP and your engine will be happy. If you don't watch out for leaks by checking your oil regularly, ur oil might drain completely and ur engine will pack.

#myexperience
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 1:52am On Jul 18, 2015
Macmilla:

Update:
After almost two weeks of battling with my oil leak, I think I finally fixed the damn thing.
Initially, we thought it was my bottom pan but after remounting it twice and finally replacing it with a new one, we kept seeing oil down there and my oil level kept going down. We then had to think out of the box. My mech opened the plastic covering the timing belt and lo and behold, the whole place was messed up with oil. It was leaking obviously from the crankshaft oil seal and oil pump oil seal. It drains down to mess up the pan making us think the pan is the culprit. We changed both oil seals. I'll still watch to make sure it has completely stopped.

So, to all those facing oil shortages after going back to 5w-20, just go under there, find where it's dropping from and plug it up. Nothing to worry about. Check the pan and all the oil seals on the block.

The oil starts leaking because it's much lighter than the 20w-50 which you have been using and therefore penetrates worn cleavages that 20w-50 would not penetrate.

I think the ppl that got knocked engine were not observant enough to notice the leakage and eventually they had an empty engine that knocked. Common sense should tell us that an engine with the recommended oil IN IT should not knock unless the oil is no longer in it.

So my own advice, change to the recommended oil, your engine won't knock. Mine didn't. Just watch out for leaks over a week or two of active driving. If any leaks, fix it ASAP and your engine will be happy. If you don't watch out for leaks by checking your oil regularly, ur oil might drain completely and ur engine will pack.

#myexperience

I totally second the above. I inspect all fluids levels every morning, I also inspect the car from up and from the bottom every now and then, I am my first and foremost mechanic. There is so much you can observe that no mechanic will ever observe!

1 Like

Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 7:13am On Jul 18, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

I totally second the above. I inspect all fluids levels every morning, I also inspect the car from up and from the bottom every now and then, I am my first and foremost mechanic. There is so much you can observe that no mechanic will ever observe!
Exactly. It doesn't matter the kind of job you do, you should enter under your car once in a while. My job is non close to a mech job, but I was under the car severally. Just jack the car, spread a mat on the floor and squeeze in. It's even fun to know what the beast looks like from beneath. grin
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 18, 2015
Macmilla:

Exactly. It doesn't matter the kind of job you do, you should enter under your car once in a while. My job is non close to a mech job, but I was under the car severally. Just jack the car, spread a mat on the floor and squeeze in. It's even fun to know what the beast looks like from beneath. grin

Now you know how it feels romancing the beast of burden you bought with your cash. smiley
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by chiboyo(m): 11:37am On Jul 18, 2015
Macmilla:

Update:
#myexperience

This is very informative, would ensure that I implement on my next servicing..
Please does anybody have any idea where I can get 5W-20 grade in PH?
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 11:44am On Jul 18, 2015
chiboyo:

This is very informative, would ensure that I implement on my next servicing..
Please does anybody have any idea where I can get 5W-20 grade in PH?
There's a lot of it on konga. Just place an order and it will be delivered to your doorstep.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 11:47am On Jul 18, 2015
lomomike:

Now you know how it feels romancing the beast of burden you bought with your cash. smiley
They say your car is like your wife. It needs much attention and care. You should know what will happen if you don't give your wife love and care.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by chukel(m): 11:57am On Jul 18, 2015
Segzie8180:

You can still use the recommended engine oil. The mistake you made is that you could have flush the first before changing the oil then. It's because majority of our mechanics don't even know the difference in these engine oil. They could have advised you better to use an engine flush before changing the oil. It works. ...
guy please, in the name of God, stop posting toxic stuff here. This is a public forum and people tend to swallow stuff hook, line and sinker here. You still don't get it. The problem is that those synthetic have detergent property that washes off the sludge formed by 20w50 which is protecting the expanded rubber seals of the engine. When u "flush" in your context, u have just done what the detergent property of 5w20 would do but in a rather rapid way. This is just a recipe for leakages and rattling and hastened engine knock. So if u have used 20w50 for a long time, stick to it. No doubt manufacturer recommended oil grade is the best. Macmilla, was lucky with the location of his leakage. Most others may have very bad internal leakages that will end up as burnt oil.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Macmilla(m): 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
chukel:
guy please, in the name of God, stop posting toxic stuff here. This is a public forum and people tend to swallow stuff hook, line and sinker here. You still don't get it. The problem is that those synthetic have detergent property that washes off the sludge formed by 20w50 which is protecting the expanded rubber seals of the engine. When u "flush" in your context, u have just done what the detergent property of 5w20 would do but in a rather rapid way. This is just a recipe for leakages and rattling and hastened engine knock. So if u have used 20w50 for a long time, stick to it. No doubt manufacturer recommended oil grade is the best. Macmilla, was lucky with the location of his leakage. Most others may have very bad internal leakages that will end up as burnt oil.
Adding what you just said to my experience, I think the best thing to do is to revert to 5w-20 but CLOSELY MONITOR THE OIL LEVEL. If it's dropping, try to find the leakage. If you can't find it, then go back to 20w-50. I think it makes sense since there's no way to know the kind of leakage you will have or if you will even have a leakage at all till you try it.
I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, so I probably know next to nothing about cars. Everything I say here is based on my little experience and common sense. So I'm very open to corrections.

#peace
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
Macmilla:

Reasonable calculation

Reasonable conclusion, my adjusted advice especially when money is scarce is change the filter instead those 5 times and top up rather than replace the entire oil.

For anyone reading this thread in future!

You will still achieve the same result but with less expenditure!
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by Oseremhen: 2:07am On Sep 14, 2015
I just replaced my engine oil with mobil xhp 20w 50 which I'm beginning to feel was a big mistake after reading this thread. My question is can I use mobil 1 5w 30 instead of 5w20 manufacturers recommendation as mobil 1 5w20 is not sold around here (trust me I've searched) I drive a 2008 honda accord. Thanks
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by edoyad(m): 7:16am On Sep 14, 2015
Macmilla:

Update:
#myexperience

Thank Heavens for your case. Me I'm opting to revert to non synthetic, can't risk it.

[color=#006600][/color]
GAZZUZZ:

6years! Don't know the oil change intervals but I can guess, sludge is presently protecting the engine from failure, once you introduce "the original" but a thiner oil that takes car of the sludge problem, then you start having the oil shortages, then the rattling then finally the knock. Iv seen it happen twice.
But why didn't anyone tell me this when I wrote about it on that Toyota thread ? One week after changing from 20w to Toyota 5w30 on my 2006 Solara, and driving a total of about 1000km, the oil pressure signal started to come on. At first I taught it was a faulty sensor, now I've realised the engine is probably burning more synthetic oil than petrol.
I'll advise him to try total quartz 7 instead, that's what I plan to switch to.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:46am On Sep 14, 2015
Oseremhen:
I just replaced my engine oil with mobil xhp 20w 50 which I'm beginning to feel was a big mistake after reading this thread. My question is can I use mobil 1 5w 30 instead of 5w20 manufacturers recommendation as mobil 1 5w20 is not sold around here (trust me I've searched) I drive a 2008 honda accord. Thanks
5w20 more fuel economy less engine protection
5w30 more engine protection less fuel economy
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2008-2-4l-oil-weight-44300/

and if you have an oil shortage, don't be quick to blame engine problems due to switching to 5w30 or 5w20, its a manufacturer defect, so always carry extra oil http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml

I most definitely do not recommend the 20w50, change it as soon as you can.

If you fear sludge issues, change filters frequently as I described above, after some time you should be ok

1 Like

Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:04pm On Sep 21, 2015
For the last 90 days on carcomplaints website 2007 Toyota Camry owners bitterly complained of the vehicle burning oil has been trending.

I have also been able to establish from the same website that the 2007 - 2008 Toyota Solara suffers from the same problem.

Indeed the description of the problem seems to fit the pattern described by the owner of a 2006 Toyota Solara as above, which leads me to the unsubstantiated but most likely true conclusion that he might have been mistaken in blaming the engine oil instead of the engine and by extension the manufacturer for his woes

Symptoms of excessive oil consumption include:

1. Having your "oil pressure" light come on halfway through your maintenance schedule

2. Having your engine burn through as much as 1 quart of oil in 1,200 miles

3. Being told that your engine burning through oil is "normal" and "nothing to be alarmed of"

4. Having t come back with a damaged, oil-deprived engine only to be denied warranty coverage.

You can confirm the above by running a search against the toyotaproblems website from which most of the above was sourced.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by edoyad(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
IdaraCHODB:
For the last 90 days on carcomplaints website 2007 Toyota Camry owners bitterly complained of the vehicle burning oil has been trending.

I have also been able to establish from the same website that the 2007 - 2008 Toyota Solara suffers from the same problem.

Indeed the description of the problem seems to fit the pattern described by the owner of a 2006 Toyota Solara as above, which leads me to the unsubstantiated but most likely true conclusion that he might have been mistaken in blaming the engine oil instead of the engine and by extension the manufacturer for his woes

Symptoms of excessive oil consumption include:

1. Having your "oil pressure" light come on halfway through your maintenance schedule

2. Having your engine burn through as much as 1 quart of oil in 1,200 miles

3. Being told that your engine burning through oil is "normal" and "nothing to be alarmed of"

4. Having t come back with a damaged, oil-deprived engine only to be denied warranty coverage.

You can confirm the above by running a search against the toyotaproblems website from which most of the above was sourced.

So instead of changing oil types I should just stick with the 5w30 but with have an extra litre in the boot then. Okay, let me try that for a while
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2015
edoyad:

So instead of changing oil types I should just stick with the 5w30 but with have an extra litre in the boot then. Okay, let me try that for a while

Have an extra litre or to be safe a whole gallon and check your oil level every morning! or worst case every 1,000 miles!!

Some of the stories on this issue are quite touching, matter of fact, for most of them by the time they notice the oil is too low it is too late since oil is to the engine what blood is to human life!
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by edoyad(m): 6:00pm On Sep 22, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Have an extra litre or to be safe a whole gallon and check your oil level every morning! or worst case every 1,000 miles!!

Some of the stories on this issue are quite touching, matter of fact, for most of them by the time they notice the oil is too low it is too late since oil is to the engine what blood is to human life!

wow! that's awful, after spending so much to buy a car and then lose it to something so avoidable.
Re: After Using Total 20w50 For 6 Years, Is There Any Effect If I Want To Change To by cecegorz(m): 1:52pm On Jan 12, 2016
Frankdamaxx:
After using Total 20w50 for 6 years plus on my 2001 Honda Civic, Is there any effect if i want to change to the manufacturers recommended 5w20?

DON'T!
I tried this with my Highlander recently, and the outcome wasn't pleasant.
Mobil 20W50 has been my regular for all the cars rated 5W20, so as I was buying fuel at a Mobil station, I spotted the 5W20 and i was excited to use the OEM recommended oil for the first time in Nigeria. I bought it immediately!
On my next oil change, I took it to the mechanic and did the service normally.
Just about 3 weeks later, I noticed that the oil has dropped from the dipstick! shocked shocked
The mechanic advised that I should topup and then watch it again as there was no leakage anywhere, I did and the shortage continued.

So the mech advised that I go back to the old grade, and that was how the shortage problem disappeared. I never went back to OEM grade!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Facts You Need To Know About Your Car VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine / Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.