Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine (32896 Views)

10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? / These Are Signs That Tell You It's Time To Change The Engine Air Filter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by keezy125(m): 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
i drive c 180 and i always drive with my air condition ON. So i need to know if there is any side effect on that, apart from the fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by correctyourself(m): 2:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
keezy125:
i drive c 180 and i always drive with my air condition ON. So i need to know if there is any side effect on that, apart from the fuel consumption.

Don't leave it too long when packed, but when driving no effect.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by keezy125(m): 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
ok.... thnks
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by honmusa(m): 3:30pm On Feb 21, 2016
compressor is a considerable big load on the engine and dmyour engine need to work relatively harder to accommodate this extra load and still maintain the same performance .This extra load on the engine will result to increase in rate of wear and tear in the engine compared to engine without compressor load .The effect will even been more if the engine lack the necessary maintance requirement.
I will advice you only use the AC when necessary and adhere to schedule maintaince standard required for the car.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by abere888: 5:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
keezy125:
No, it has no effect on the engine but it consumes fuel ⛽

9 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by thefakestan: 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wait let me call Daura

Actually it depends, it's an extra load on the engine especially when driving slowly or when the car is not in motion , but if u are already driving fast on the highway maybe somewhere above abt 60km/h it doesn't matter anymore as long as ur car is in good shape and well maintained, even on fuel consumption.

ThefakeStan

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by kennyman2000(m): 5:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lemme learn.

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by lonelydora: 5:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
I'm here to learn
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Harmored(m): 5:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
At all
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by nickxtra(m): 5:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Gazzuz, pls come to his rescue
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Walexz02(m): 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
Just make sure you do your normal maintenance.. The effect will be minimal and negligible .
And please don't on the Ac when the car is not in motion, that too I think would help.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Marshallian(m): 5:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lemme think about it.....
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by moscobabs(m): 5:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
it surely have effect on engine.. it makes engine work more than normal . beside I don't think u need put on your Ac all the time.

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Temidayo9(m): 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
abere888:

What makes it consume more fuel, is just because AC is consider as load to engine=more workdone.

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by kennethchidi(m): 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wait!!!!..................................................Continue!
Don't think so if you adhere to d maintenance rules of the car.
I blow my car ac everytime,and my car no dey dull in performance,but I take maintenance seriously.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by surreal15(m): 5:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
thefakestan:
Wait let me call Daura
until you need such useful information...
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nicepoker(m): 5:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Make Use of wall fan. Stop using ur car AC. BTW. Blow ur AC no problem. Just fill tank that's all.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nicepoker(m): 5:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
Make Use of wall fan. Stop using ur car AC. BTW. Blow ur AC no problem. Just fill tank that's all..
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by tkovie2002(m): 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
I don't think it has any effect whatsoever. The manufacturer of the car must have factored in the load of an air conditioner on the engine and made sure that the engine is capable of running even at full capacity with A/C on without having any effects as long as proper maintenance is done before selling to consumers.

Most of us in Nigeria don't even run our engine to full capacity due to traffic jams and bad roads so that shouldn't be an issue. I feel the "increased wear and tear" of an engine due to constant use of air conditioner is an unfounded Nigerian idea.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by bettercreature(m): 5:23pm On Feb 21, 2016
honmusa:
compressor is a considerable big load on the engine and dmyour engine need to work relatively harder to accommodate this extra load and still maintain the same performance .This extra load on the engine will result to increase in rate of wear and tear in the engine compared to engine without compressor load .The effect will even been more if the engine lack the necessary maintance requirement.
I will advice you only use the AC when necessary and adhere to schedule maintaince standard required for the car.
Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by bettercreature(m): 5:24pm On Feb 21, 2016
tkovie2002:
I don't think it has any effect whatsoever. The manufacturer of the car must have factored in the load of an air conditioner on the engine and made sure that the engine is capable of running even at full capacity with A/C on without having any effects as long as proper maintenance is done before selling to consumers.

Most of us in Nigeria don't even run our engine to full capacity due to traffic jams and bad roads so that shouldn't be an issue. I feel the "increased wear and tear" of an engine due to constant use of air conditioner is an unfounded Nigerian idea.
You actually dont know anything

4 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by mite: 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
When proper maintenance is carried out occasionally on your car, driving with the AC on would only consume fuel at the manufacturers specifications/rates. When you notice high fuel consumption whenever you use th AC, then your car need to undergo proper maintenance.

For more info;
Tulz Auto
MRS filling station,
85 Muritala Mohammed way,
Citiway, Yaba, Lagos
(almost opp the Presbyterian Church)
Http://allcarstuffs..com
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by IkpuMmadu: 5:28pm On Feb 21, 2016
keezy125:

I drive that car also ..Benz build one of the best engines ever known to mankind and one thing you should realise is that the engine isvtiugh and rugged and also strong. AC doesn't affect the engine at all .... We are talking if Benz not these cheap Japanese cars

So how do you enjoy the handling

C180 is just a bad ass Benz

4 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by IkpuMmadu: 5:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
bettercreature:
You actually dont know anything

He is correct and its you that's doesn't know nada bro

36 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by eaglechild: 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
abere888:

Actually in the city where you have stop and go traffic this maybe true, but on the highway you will save more fuel if your glass is wound up with the AC on than down with the AC off.
The aerodynamics of the car are best suited to conserve fuel when the glass is up esp at higher speeds.

18 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by holluwai(m): 5:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

He is correct and its you that's doesn't know nada bro

Thank you o, he should have said what he knows instead.

3 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by R0ckefeller: 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
Yes it have effect on the car engine(but if the car is properly maintained no effect) turning on the ac means the engine need to put out more power and putting out more power makes the car consume more fuel.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by wristbangle: 5:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
I am here to learn. cool
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Dottore: 5:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by 4C2215131: 5:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
What I noticed in my former car was a slight shudder when the AC comes on. Naturally, I investigated the issue and fixed it.

With my present car ( Benz BTW), I feel and see no effect whatsoever though I am very fastidious when it comes to maintenance and er, it is an AMG!

5 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
For those that said it is a problem can you post a link to any car manufacturing website or anywhere where the manufacturer ssys so? Quakes everywhere! @op you better go to Benz official site and ask better still send their customer care an email to that effect rather than relying on road side mechanics, afterall the internet has bridged the gap between not knowning and knowning where to source for info.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Crazily Unique Beetle Cars You Have Never Seen Before (photos) / Female AAU Student Crushed To Death In Edo State (see Photo) / Abuja And Environs, Remotely Follow Your Car Repairs Online.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.