Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Make This Great Opportunity Count - Ogenyi Onazi Tells Flying Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Make This Great Opportunity Count - Ogenyi Onazi Tells Flying Eagles (373 Views)

Ogenyi Onazi & Raheem Lawal Step Out For Ahmed Musa's Traditional Wedding (Pics) / BBNaija: Ogenyi Onazi Talks About Efe & His Supporters / Ogenyi Onazi Survives Accident In Oyo State Ahead Of Saturday Wedding (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Make This Great Opportunity Count - Ogenyi Onazi Tells Flying Eagles by Dannyandre(m): 6:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
'
Nigeria senior team midfielder Ogenyi Onazi has asked members of the Flying Eagles to make use of the opportunity offered by the tournament in New Zealand to earn a place in the senior national team.

Manu Garba’s team would play a Round of 16 game against Germany on Thursday after finishing second in Group F with victories over Korea DPR and Hungary despite losing their first game against Brazil.

Impressed by their form so far, the Lazio midfielder hopes that a few of the boys would become part of the Super Eagles in the nearest future.

“The Flying Eagles team that is currently playing at the U20 World Cup in New Zealand is a very strong team,” Onazi told media.

“I am a fan of Nigerian football and the national teams because I support them anywhere they go.

“Personally I speak to some of the players of the U20 national team and the ones I know are Taiwo Awoniyi, Dele Alampasu and others.

“I speak to Awoniyi, Alampasu and others just to encourage them. They are a bunch of young talents that the world needs to watch. I am sure the guys will soon come and join us in the Super Eagles. They are a very strong team.”

The 22-year-old, who won silver with the Nigeria U17 side in 2009 had an unprecedented accelerated climb to the senior side despite being dropped from the U20 team that played at the 2011 World Cup in Colombia.

His message to the boys in New Zealand was loud and clear, to make use of the opportunity to impress the world and shine for their country.

“This is a Fifa World Cup and I strongly believe that it is not going to be easy at all. I want to encourage them to put in their very best to make sure that they come out with victory in every game they play,” he said.

“Playing for the Super Eagles is all about being given the opportunity and that is why I want the current Flying Eagles to use this competition to prove a point that they can also play for the [senior] national team.

“It is all about opportunity. I never knew I would be called up to the national team at a very young age and very fast too. But it is because of the determination and zeal that I put into the game that has helped me to this stage.

“When the opportunity came I took it very serious and I never wanted to let it slip,” Onazi concluded.

The Flying Eagles face Germany on Thursday at 8:30am Nigeria time.

(1) (Reply)

£86 Million Bid? / Judge To Investigate Bayern, Chelsea, City And Madrid Offers For Neymar / We Have Had Great Experience, Says Edwin Okon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.