Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer (1476 Views)

Ebay,offerup,letgo,deal dash,wish list and amazon ordering and shipping service. / I was Scammed By Ndudichukwumah??? / How To Buy And Sell Used Stuff Online On Olx,jiji And Efritin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Mcslize: 1:11am On Jun 11, 2015
I was almost scammed in OLX by one Femi Akinolu from Lagos with the phone number 08077145546.

I placed an advert on the 8th of June in OLX to sell a brand new Tablet. The scammer contacted me on Tuesday 9th June 2015 through message on OLX to add him to my whatsapp. I added and we got chatting. We bargained and he agreed to pay 36k.

He told me he had done business with God is Good motor known as GIG as he want me to send the Tablet with them through weight bill as a weight bill number will be given to me which I will later send to him after paying the money into my account so as to claim the package over there in Yaba Lagos with the weight bill number. And I should make sure I snap the receipt of the weight bill and send to him.

Unknown to me he was trying to scam me as he was aware that the weight bill number will be sent to him once I register the package. And I later learnt of it that ,that weight bill number will be sent to him immediately I register the package with GIG.

I was already waiting to register the package when a guy came to the weight bill counter and told the customer person of a laptop he sent to someone with God is Good motor but the reciever was denying that he had received the Laptop but the sender had already received a text from GIG that the receiver had claimed the package .That was when I realised that the guy had been scammed and I was about being scammed through same process.
Despite that I still wanted to send the Tab to the scammer as he was already calling me up and down but thanks to God, GIG site was down totally. I waited and waited from morning till 3p.m but to no avail. And the guy has already whatsapping me how far I have gone so I told him abt the site that was down and my 2nd plan to send the Tab through pay on delivery method with a driver without registering it through the weight bill method. And he will give the driver the money to bring back to me before the driver will hand him the Tab. Immediately he saw pay on delivery he stopped replying my message. He went on and blocked me on whatsapp. I called him and he switch off his phone that was when I knew he was a bloody scammer who actually planned to scam me but his plan failed. If not that GIG weight bill site was down I would have been dubed by that bloody scammer.

Sellers and buyers be wise.

Attached is the pic of the scammer.

Mod pls move to front page for maximum awareness of all these online scammers

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by dkronicle(m): 1:17am On Jun 11, 2015
Omo ise ni... D boy neva len finish

1 Like

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by gmacnoms(m): 1:25am On Jun 11, 2015
op abeg remove dat guy pics. dats jst a photo of an officer jejely somwhr now. and u dey here dey post e pinshure. abeg remove e pinshure and change ur topic title y do u even think dts his picture? sub-Ieautenant wan scam u of c'mon tab.My friend Wake up

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by emmyw(m): 1:32am On Jun 11, 2015
Hmmm
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Mcslize: 1:47am On Jun 11, 2015
gmacnoms if u read the post very well u will know that the guy is a scammer. Forget that uniform he put on there he actually wanted to scam me if not he wouldn't have blocked me wen I told him I was going to send the package through pay on delivery. Didn't u see the example of d guy that was dubed of a Laptop? If he was genuine enough he would have allowed me sent it through pay on delivery... Thats how they appear but within they r scammers. Wen I saw that uniform I felt he was a repsonsible person but not knowing that he was a bloody 419
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by kestolove95(m): 1:56am On Jun 11, 2015
Oboi remove him pishure joor, abi u want make d guy loose em navy job( dats if truli his a navy officer ba)

1 Like

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by kestolove95(m): 1:58am On Jun 11, 2015
Lemme call d f00l and insult him
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by dazekid(m): 5:22am On Jun 11, 2015
Mcslize:
gmacnoms if u read the post very well u will know that the guy is a scammer. Forget that uniform he put on there he actually wanted to scam me if not he wouldn't have blocked me wen I told him I was going to send the package through pay on delivery. Didn't u see the example of d guy that was dubed of a Laptop? If he was genuine enough he would have allowed me sent it through pay on delivery... Thats how they appear but within they r scammers. Wen I saw that uniform I felt he was a repsonsible person but not knowing that he was a bloody 419

That is most likely not the picture of the actual scammer. Sometimes in my encounters with this dudes(and dudettes), I have to assume that they undergo serious mental gymnastics and mind building because a lot of them go serious lengths to put up convincing fronts and that is why you'd see someone that has just been conned out of his hard earned money would say he was jazzed. This also has to do with the stereotype of what we think scammers should be, you see someone who speaks just as good english as you and seems to be a respectable person going by his (probably) whatsapp picture and then you believe they are legit because they are the exact opposite of what you think a scammer should be.
Currently even chatting with one that is a family guy(again, I am judging based on his whatsapp pictures) and if I were to assess based on that, I would think he was completely clean but I have learnt to make decisions based on deductive reasoning and plain logic, going on this, I have been able to ascertain that he is a bloody scammer but I am still even playing along. You just have to look for holes in conversations. Although they have good scripts, they are not perfect, listen as well as ask questions. Speaking of asking questions, OP how come pay-on-delivery was not the first thing you suggested I would like to think that is the first(and pretty much only) option when dealing via online channels with outfits or bodies that are not jumia or konga.
Thank goodness you did not lose your money but in all honesty, this could have been avoided.
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Bigcake: 5:27am On Jun 11, 2015
I suggest you remove the pix because that might not be his pix... he is only using an officer's pix to gain acceptance from unsuspecting members of the public.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Proffdada: 7:03am On Jun 11, 2015
The picture and name will definitely be a phony as he's trying not to get caught . please don't implicated an innocent naval officer and remove the picture

1 Like

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by invisibility: 7:08am On Jun 11, 2015
THIS OP IS A LEARNER. HE STILL WANTED TO FALL MUGU EVEN WHEN HE CLEARLY SAW ANOTHER MAN GET SCAMMED THE SAME METHOD. IT WAS ONLY THE FACT THAT THE SITE WAS DOWN THAT SAVED HIM . OP TELL ME... THEM GIVE YOU JUJU?

BESIDES YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL THAT THE SCAMMER DEFINITELY PRETENDED TO BE A NAVAL OFFICER BY POSTING THE PICTURE OF AN INNOCENT PERSON SOMEWHERE.

OP GOD SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELF.
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by gmacnoms(m): 7:32am On Jun 11, 2015
Mcslize:
I am tryin to say he's not d one on d pics. U r actually gullible

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by ceejay80s(m): 7:55am On Jun 11, 2015
Mcslize:
I believe u, there are many of them here, even those wey say make u remove the guy pic could be one of dem, lucky u!!!!!
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by megatran(m): 9:08am On Jun 11, 2015
xperienced dis too
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Mcslize: 7:53pm On Jun 11, 2015
Bigcake:
I suggest you remove the pix because that might not be his pix... he is only using an officer's pix to gain acceptance from unsuspecting members of the public.

I have removed the Navy man pic. But u guys can add the scammer to ur whatsapp and find out from him with his phone number
Re: How I Was Almost Scammed In OLX by a Navy Officer by Mcslize: 8:00pm On Jun 11, 2015
invisibility I actually wanted to send it when the scammer started calling me up and down making me think he was genuine cuz he told me to register d package and snap d receipt and send to him on whatsapp when he knew that GIG will send him the weight bill number immediately I register it with them whereas I was thinking I was d only one that wil get to know d weight bill number then after sending me my money into my account and have seen d alert I wil den txt him d weight bill number for him to claim d package over there. That was my thought not knowing dat he already knew dat d number wil also be disclosed to him. It was GIG site that totally shut down that prompted me to send it through pay on delivery ...when he saw pay on delivery he knew Yawa don gas he went and block me on whatsapp and also when I called his number he went and shut down his phone. That was wen I realise he was nothing but a bloody scammer. All those hungry Lagos guys will never stop scamming innocent people like me

(1) (Reply)

New Samsung SP-D400 Projector For Sale / 32GB Memory Card (micro SD Card) Now Sold For #3,000 In Nigeria / Fairly Used Finger Print Scanner (digital Persona) Need Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.