Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,089 members, 7,957,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:35 AM

This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech (1584 Views)

Angry Businessman Sets His 7-Series On Fire Outside BMW's Headquarters In Munich / All New BMW X3 Unveiled And You'll Definitely Love It (photos) / New BMW 8 Series Revealed - Amazing Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by shamecurls(m): 10:22pm On Jun 11, 2015
Automakers around the world use their large luxury sedans as testbeds for bleeding-edge tech — a lot of it is ridiculous, but a lot of it becomes practical (think heated seats) or even required by law (think anti-lock brakes or stability control). Over time, the theory goes, some of those technologies filter down to the more plebeian models in the range.

But perhaps nowhere is that effect more important than with Mercedes-Benz's S-Class and BMW's 7 Series, where each new generation brings an entire catalog of sci-fi-esque gadgets and creature comforts. The new 7, announced today, is certainly no exception.

Let's start with the basics: in the US, the 7 will be available in two configurations at launch. The base model is the 740i with a 3-liter, 320-horsepower TwinPower inline six starting at $81,300; above that is the 750i xDrive with a redesigned 4.4-liter, 445-horsepower twin turbo V-8 starting at $97,400. The 740e xDrive plug-in hybrid joins the range in 2016, with pricing to be announced. Both the 740i and 750i xDrive will be sold only in long-wheelbase configurations in the US. That means that, at least for the moment, we'll be losing quite a few US configurations: the current 7 is available in a short-wheelbase version, a diesel, a hybrid, and a V-12.

But this car isn't really about engines, it's about... well, basically everything else. It starts with the key — the optional Display Key, to be specific, which looks like a larger version of BMW's standard wireless fob with a full color touchscreen embedded in it. From there, you can control car functions from afar — pre-heating on a cold day, for instance. The fob can charge while it's inside the car, but if it dies, don't worry: there's a second battery that'll make sure it just acts like a regular wireless key until you have a chance to recharge. (The Display Key debuted on the i8 as an option, but it's not available on any of BMW's other vehicles yet.)

So, yes, to recap: your key, should you tick the Display Key option when you order your 7, is effectively a smartphone minus the phone. But there's more, of course.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/10/8756525/2016-bmw-7-series-announced

Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by shamecurls(m): 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2015
In person, you really get the sense that BMW designed this car around the passenger

Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by shamecurls(m): 10:27pm On Jun 11, 2015
shocked shocked shocked

Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by symbianDON(m): 11:09pm On Jun 11, 2015
this Germans are da.mn craaaazy grin
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by nurey(m): 7:11am On Jun 12, 2015
this car is good but not on par with the S-class the digital dash guage and luxury I saw in the recent S500 almost caused me to have an accident I wonder what the S600 or S65 will be packing
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by Emmyxclusive: 9:43am On Jun 12, 2015
u don't mess with the German... a dream car mhen..
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by jodeci(m): 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
Designed with Abuja road in mind.
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by king406(m): 6:32pm On Jun 12, 2015
I go see am for abj roads by next week
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by chucky234(m): 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2015
Loving this road monster already
Re: This Is The New BMW 7 Series, A Rolling Temple To High-tech by lonelydora: 3:40am On Jun 13, 2015
Will be in my garage soonest.

(1) (Reply)

Anybody Here That Transverse To The Dangote Ibese Plant? I Need Help / Contact Us Today For Genuine Car Parts. / See How Mercedes-Benz Futuristic Headlights Communicates With People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.