Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,855 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes (2466 Views)

Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it / I Don’t Understand Why People Still Eat Isi Ewu - Oluwo Oba Akanbi / The Beauty Of Nigeria... God Bless Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 12:52pm On Jun 12, 2015
There are varying accounts as to the origin of this response. One belief is that it originated in Rome when the bubonic plague was raging through Europe. One of the symptoms of the plague was coughing and sneezing, and it is believed that Pope Gregory VII suggested saying “God bless you” after a person sneezed in hopes that this prayer would protect them from an otherwise certain death.

The expression may have also originated from superstition. Some people believe that the custom of asking for God’s blessing began when ancient man thought that the soul was in the form of air and resided in the body’s head. A sneeze, therefore, might accidentally expel the spirit from the body unless God blessed you and prevented this from occurring. Some ancient cultures also thought that sneezing forced evil spirits out of the body endangering others because these spirits might now enter their bodies. The blessing was bestowed to protect both the person sneezed and others around him.

Sneeze responses from around the world:

English – “Bless you” or “God bless you”
German – “Gesundheit”
Greeks and Romans – “Banish the Omen”
Hindu – “Live” and responds “With you”
Zulu – “I am now blessed”

source: www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/sneeze.html

so share ur response from ur tribe and other observations

cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by AkProsper(m): 12:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
If u like my comment,
GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 12, 2015
That of west germany tho undecided
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 12:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
interesting facts:

1. Sneezes are an automatic reflex that can’t be stopped once sneezing starts.
Sneezes can travel at a speed of 100 miles per hour and the wet spray can radiate five feet.
2. People don’t sneeze when they are asleep because the nerves involved in nerve reflex are also resting.
3. 18 and 35% of the population sneezes when exposed to sudden bright light.
4. Some people sneeze when plucking their eyebrows because the nerve endings in the face are irritated and then fire an impulse that reaches the nasal nerve.
5. Donna Griffiths from Worcestershire, England sneezed for 978 days, sneezing once every minute at the beginning. This is the longest sneezing episode on record.
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by iamodenigbo1(m): 1:45pm On Jun 12, 2015
superstition
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Nwaiberibe: 3:41pm On Jun 12, 2015
Baseless superstition
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 9:38am On Jun 13, 2015
cc lalasticlala
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Fabzgrace(f): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2015
Hmmm.Since I was a kid,my mum always taught me to say "bless you" to anyone that sneezes and she does same when I sneeze too.
I still dont know why..
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2015
Fabzgrace:
Hmmm.Since I was a kid,my mum always taught me to say "bless you" to anyone that sneezes and she does same when I sneeze too.
I still dont know why..
Its mere superstition ma'am smiley
some would say JESUS too!
while some say back to the sender...
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Fabzgrace(f): 10:35am On Jun 13, 2015
RobinHez:
Its mere superstition ma'am smiley some would say JESUS too! while some say back to the sender...
grin back to sender? grin
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 10:37am On Jun 13, 2015
Fabzgrace:
grin back to sender? grin
yeah! the guy sneezed twice and then said back to sender and i was like WTF
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Fabzgrace(f): 10:53am On Jun 13, 2015
RobinHez:

yeah! the guy sneezed twice and then said back to sender and i was like WTF
Like seriously? I even thought you were kidding. Ne'er heard that tho,don't know what i'll do if i did.
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 10:55am On Jun 13, 2015
Fabzgrace:

Like seriously? I even thought you were kidding. Ne'er heard that tho,don't know what i'll do if i did.

kidding?? don't worry, u'll hear it soon cheesy
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hypothetically,saying the name god is worthless as the event of sneezing plays out,its telepathic. However,the reason,people resort to saying such is because,at that moment you sneezed,your heart stopped for a second and so the continuation pumping of the heart tends to be a miracle that's why people say,"bless you" but many don't actually know why tho. Yes! Some people has inevitably lost their life sneezing.
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2015
RobinHez:
interesting facts:

1. Sneezes are an automatic reflex that can’t be stopped once sneezing starts.
Sneezes can travel at a speed of 100 miles per hour and the wet spray can radiate five feet.
2. People don’t sneeze when they are asleep because the nerves involved in nerve reflex are also resting.
3. 18 and 35% of the population sneezes when exposed to sudden bright light.
4. Some people sneeze when plucking their eyebrows because the nerve endings in the face are irritated and then fire an impulse that reaches the nasal nerve.
5. Donna Griffiths from Worcestershire, England sneezed for 978 days, sneezing once every minute at the beginning. This is the longest sneezing episode on record.

Cc lalasticlala
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 6:33am On Nov 17, 2015
Lalasticlala
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 6:36am On Nov 17, 2015
aaronson:
Hypothetically,saying the name god is worthless as the event of sneezing plays out,its telepathic. However,the reason,people resort to saying such is because,at that moment you sneezed,your heart stopped for a second and so the continuation pumping of the heart tends to be a miracle that's why people say,"bless you" but many don't actually know why tho. Yes! Some people has inevitably lost their life sneezing.

Your heart does not stop when you sneeze!
#Fact
Re: Why People Say "God Bless You" After Someone Sneezes by RobinHez(m): 8:23am On Apr 02, 2016
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

I Have Sex Only With Dead Bodies – Mortuary Attendant / Rebuttal- Why Are Igbos Trying So Hard To Claim Delta Igbos Are Igbos. / Which Tribe Do My Looks Resemble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.