Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench (2345 Views)

Dangers Of Using Car AC! Cancerous / 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL / What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 2:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
I added a torque wrench to my tool box some 2 years ago but never really made use of it till this year, and when I did, I got in love with the clicks!
Now I always tighten bolts to their torque spec, no more guess work smiley

Below is a pic of mine

Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 5:48pm On Jun 13, 2015
Before we discuss benefits, a few pictures of...#coughs...not torquing to spec.

Saw the second pic and couldn't believe someone would be driving a car with only 2 lug-nuts angry angry

Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2015
Stripping of bolts, threads and eventual breakage are all consequences of over-tightening nuts. This is one of the primary causes of broken wheel studs as shown in the previous pics. Some people just torque and torque lug nuts until they can torque no more cheesy. My car for example lists 79ft/lbs as the torque for lug nuts and since I started using a torque wrench I found out that I could still tighten the nut further after reaching 79ft/lbs. That's if I was just using a wheel spanner. Its even worse if you patronise a Macho kazeem vulcaniser you could end up with 500ft/lbs on the nut grin
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by McWhillion(m): 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2015
cool all ears
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2015
Again, aluminum is a pretty soft metal, so its good to pay attention to listed torques when working on your engine. There are jobs I wouldn't recommend a DIYer attempts except he has a torque wrench e.g. valve adjustment.

I recently did a valve clearance check and replaced my leaky valve cover gasket. I was surprised to see how low some of the torque specs for the crankcase bolts were. Same goes to the different parts that bolt unto the block.

Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 6:27pm On Jun 13, 2015
Spark plugs also have their recommended torques. Over or under torquing can cause the plugs to overheat with consequent combustion problems. Some people with experience though have learned to take on such tasks by feel. However, I still recommend using a torque wrench and a good one too.
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Raymie(m): 10:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
Please what's the cost of the tool?

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by bigrovar(m): 7:25am On Jun 14, 2015
That looks like a 3/8 torque wrench.. where did you get this?
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by whatofyou: 8:54am On Jun 14, 2015
So how does it show the tightening is 'healthy?' Does it have a readable meter that shows the amount of force you are putting on a bolt, and where can one buy it from?
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 14, 2015
whatofyou:
So how does it show the tightening is 'healthy?' Does it have a readable meter that shows the amount of force you are putting on a bolt, and where can one buy it from?

It has a readable scale, which you set according to the recommended torque for any given nut, or bolt. Once you tighten to the preset torque value, you'll get a very audible click.

Mine are from Snap-On, and besides giving a "beep" once the value is reached, they are also digital.
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 11:10pm On Jun 15, 2015
Raymie:
Please what's the cost of the tool?

Depends on the type you are buying. If you have someone outside the country cost be around 10k. Here it should cost higher
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 11:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
bigrovar:
That looks like a 3/8 torque wrench.. where did you get this?

Sharp eyes. Its a 3/8, got it because it fits almost all the torque spec for my car. Got it from jand.
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 4:31pm On Jun 16, 2015
Bigrovar in addition, I had to buy a set of adaptors; 3/8 to 1/2 etc. It sold cheaply on Amazon. As you know most single sockets that I've seen here are 1/2
Re: Benefits Of Using A Torque Wrench by Piyke: 5:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
For those asking for how to get this, if you don't find it in the car parts market around you, you could send me a PM, I have a shipment coming in the next 2 weeks from jand and may be able to help.

(1) (Reply)

Blown Head Gasket / How Reliable Is ML320? / Nominations of Car Talk Section Poster Of The Year, 2012.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.