Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old (2086 Views)

4 Things To Do After You Are Engaged To Him (Advice For Ladies) / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Words Of Advice From A Mother To Her Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 4:23pm On Jun 17, 2015
1. "A lie is a statement that is known or intended by its source to be misleading, inaccurate, or false."

Wikipedia

2. "A disobedience is the failure or refusal to obey rules or someone in authority."

Google

3. "Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

Ex 20:12

"Honour your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

Deut 5:16

"Honour your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth."

Eph 6:2-3

"Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord."

Col 3:20

Take this scenario.

A boy of 12years old who is totally dependent on his parents for every means of livelihood faces a challenge of having to decide to disobey a parent who wants/tells him/her to lie.

This child, was told by his dad to tell his friend who just came calling that he is not around. He has no idea why the dad decided not to see that visitor.

But the boy is aware that he would be telling a lie if he decides to convey his dad's message and if he fails to, it will be a direct disobedience and he risks his father's wrath which can come in any form and also may live a stunted life like Ex 20:12, Deut 5:16, Eph 6:2-3 etc warned.

On the other hand if he tells that visitor the message of his father, then he has told a lie and lying is wrongdoing.

Such a dilemma for the child.

What do you think is the best way for the lad to handle this dilemma?
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Chopet(m): 4:26pm On Jun 17, 2015
Confusedly Confused
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:28pm On Jun 17, 2015
I'm Dumbfounded..
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by resty4(m): 4:31pm On Jun 17, 2015
C it 2 yrself is better 2 obey God or man

2 Likes

Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by resty4(m): 4:32pm On Jun 17, 2015
C 2 it yrself is it better 2 obey God or man(his father)?
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2015
He should do what he feels is right - Follow your heart instincts. Although this issue is a hard one.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 17, 2015
If the boy is sure that he truly does not tell lies at all then he should tell his father very respectfully that he cannot lie for him. Father may give him a few slaps but he will not tell him to lie next time. Simples
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
resty4:
C it 2 yrself is better 2 obey God or man

In obeying one's parents, one pledges obedience to God's words.

No?
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by sexymoma(f): 2:11pm On Jun 18, 2015
Simple: My dad said i should tell you he s not around
Or he should ask them to sit without telling them if he s around or not, then take a walk like 45mins
Visitor wey get sense nor go fit sitdon for 45mins

1 Like

Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
He should pick the lesser of the two evils. Tell a lie. That way he is disobeying only God. If he tells the truth, he will be disobeying God (as per obeying parents) and will also be disobeying his dad. That na double punishment. grin
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 3:05pm On Jun 18, 2015
Dnarvaez:
He should do what he feels is right - Follow your heart instincts. Although this issue is a hard one.

It is proper for the boy to immediately want to run away from incurring his fathers ire which can come in physical spanking or deprivation of some needs/wants of the boy.

But that will offend God I reckon or wont it?

Its hard indeed
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
jnrbayano:

It is proper for the boy to immediately want to run away from incurring his fathers ire which can come in physical spanking or deprivation of some needs/wants of the boy.

But that will offend God I reckon or wont it?

Its hard indeed
Probably, the boy in question would disobey God.
He wouldn't want to shun his father's instructions, thereby incurring his (father's) wrath . He may back up himself with the mindset of 'sinners can always resort to confession of sins', when they err.
A 12year old boy at that. I really doubt the possibility of him resisting the temptation. Can one liken this situation to being placed between the devil and the blue sea?
This matter is a logical one.

1 Like

Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 4:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
Italo
Syncan
SalC

Please come to the thread. smiley
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 4:09pm On Jun 18, 2015
sexymoma:
Simple: My dad said i should tell you he s not around
Or he should ask them to sit without telling them if he s around or not, then take a walk like 45mins
Visitor wey get sense nor go fit sitdon for 45mins

Don't you think the boy has ended up not obeying his father assuming he elected to do any of the two advice you gave?

Besides, I think it will be suicidal if he should do the bold.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 4:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
fem29:
If the boy is sure that he truly does not tell lies at all then he should tell his father very respectfully that he cannot lie for him. Father may give him a few slaps but he will not tell him to lie next time. Simples

Matt 5:10 comes to mind.

But a 12year old is mostly not likely to understand the persecution part of being a true disciple of Christ.

Youngsters never understand it when you punish them in order to correct them.

Nice input though

1 Like

Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Syncan(m): 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2015
If Jesus was that 12yrs old child, do you think He will tell the lie?

1 Like

Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 4:33pm On Jun 18, 2015
Syncan:
If Jesus was that 12yrs old child, do you think He will tell the lie?

I am sure he wouldn't.

I am also sure his father Joseph wouldn't tell him to lie.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Syncan(m): 5:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
jnrbayano:

I am sure he wouldn't.

I am also sure his father Joseph wouldn't tell him to lie.

The father loses the scriptural authority of a parent in the occasion he sets his child against God. " I have come to set father against son...". So the child will have to tell him that he cannot lie. Let the father deal with it.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 7:29pm On Jun 18, 2015
Syncan:

The father loses the scriptural authority of a parent in the occasion he sets his child against God. " I have come to set father against son...". So the child will have to tell him that he cannot lie. Let the father deal with it.

It will take a very courageous child to do that.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by italo: 9:50pm On Jun 18, 2015
I take Syncan's approach.

My option B would be to open the door, welcome the visitor and disappear without saying a word.

Then reappear when someone else has handled the situation.

If asked, I would say I was scared of lying (with pity-face)
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 9:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
italo:
I take Syncan's approach.

My option B would be to open the door, welcome the visitor and disappear without saying a word.

Then reappear when someone else has handled the situation.

If asked, I would say I was scared of lying (with pity-face)

As a grown man and independent, yes, but remember he is only 12.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by Syncan(m): 10:27pm On Jun 18, 2015
jnrbayano:

It will take a very courageous child to do that.

Whatever made a child of 12 to be in that dilemma comes from above, and from there will the courage come. Many won't even blink before doing as they were told.
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 10:35pm On Jun 18, 2015
Syncan:

Whatever made a child of 12 to be in that dilemma comes from above, and from there will the courage come. Many won't even blink before doing as they were told.

Very true
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 9:10pm On Jul 31, 2015
Phema:
He should pick the lesser of the two evils. Tell a lie. That way he is disobeying only God. If he tells the truth, he will be disobeying God (as per obeying parents) and will also be disobeying his dad. That na double punishment. grin

The "lesser evil" is still evil smiley
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 11:16am On Oct 27, 2015
Chopet:
Confusedly Confused

Why? smiley
Re: Offer A Piece Of Advice For This 12year Old by jnrbayano(m): 9:31am On Mar 02, 2016
jnrbayano:
1. "A lie is a statement that is known or intended by its source to be misleading, inaccurate, or false."

Wikipedia

2. "A disobedience is the failure or refusal to obey rules or someone in authority."

Google

3. "Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

Ex 20:12

"Honour your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

Deut 5:16

"Honour your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth."

Eph 6:2-3

"Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord."

Col 3:20

Take this scenario.

A boy of 12years old who is totally dependent on his parents for every means of livelihood faces a challenge of having to decide to disobey a parent who wants/tells him/her to lie.

This child, was told by his dad to tell his friend who just came calling that he is not around. He has no idea why the dad decided not to see that visitor.

But the boy is aware that he would be telling a lie if he decides to convey his dad's message and if he fails to, it will be a direct disobedience and he risks his father's wrath which can come in any form and also may live a stunted life like Ex 20:12, Deut 5:16, Eph 6:2-3 etc warned.

On the other hand if he tells that visitor the message of his father, then he has told a lie and lying is wrongdoing.

Such a dilemma for the child.

What do you think is the best way for the lad to handle this dilemma?

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious! Man Sued Wife For Giving Birth To Ugly Kids (photos) / Nigerian Fathers Do Not Hug Their Sons / Touching Letter By An Abused Wife To Her Husband Before She Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.