Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent (4496 Views)

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America / Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 20, 2015
Thread for acknowledgement of African Americans that have traced their ethnicity to the hausa people of West and Central Africa

1. Anthony Anderson: Anthony Anderson (born August 15, 1970) is an American actor and writer, and the star of ABC's Black-ish. He has also starred in his own sitcom, All About the Andersons, as well as the Fox sitcom The Bernie Mac Show during the fifth and final season of the show. He is also known for his leading roles in television dramas such as K-Ville, The Shield and Law & Order. He has also had supporting roles in films such as Me, Myself & Irene, Transformers, The Departed, Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London, Scream 4, and Kangaroo Jack.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 20, 2015
Levar Burton:Levardis Robert Martyn Burton, Jr. (born February 16, 1957), professionally known as LeVar Burton, is an American actor, presenter, director, producer, and author.Burton is best known for his roles as the young Kunta Kinte in the 1977 award-winning ABC television miniseries Roots, Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and as the host and executive producer of the long-running PBS children's series Reading Rainbow. He has also directed a number of television episodes.

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by absoluteSuccess: 9:01am On Jun 20, 2015
Another Bala dan Bature, Anderson look so Dangotish, must be Hausa indeed. cheesy Happy weekend, more Hausa stuffs pls. Walai me I like por Arewa, kei! aikuma. Lafia lau.
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 20, 2015
Peter J Gomes:Peter John Gomes (May 22, 1942 – February 28, 2011) was an American preacher and theologian, the Plummer Professor of Christian Morals at Harvard Divinity School and Pusey Minister at Harvard's Memorial Church — in the words of Harvard's president "one of the great preachers of our generation, and a living symbol of courage and conviction.

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 20, 2015
Glenda Hatchett: Glenda A. Hatchett (born May 31, 1951) is the star of the former court show, Judge Hatchett, and founding partner at the national law firm, The Hatchett Firm, PC.

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 20, 2015
Rick Kittles: Rick Antonius Kittles (born in Sylvania, Georgia, United States) is an American biologist specializing in human genetics. He is of African-American ancestry, and achieved renown in the 1990s for his pioneering work in tracing the ancestry of African Americans via DNA testing.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 20, 2015
Source: How do they knw? hope is not Dat DNA nonsense
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 20, 2015
DeLisha Milton-Jones: DeLisha Lachell Milton-Jones (born September 11, 1974), née DeLisha Lachell Milton, is an American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Dream of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). Milton-Jones played college basketball for the University of Florida. In her sixteen-season WNBA career, she has played for the Washington Mystics, the Los Angeles Sparks (twice), the San Antonio Stars, and the New York Liberty. She is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a two-time WNBA champion, and has been selected to the WNBA All-Star Game three times. As of the 2014 season, she is the oldest active player in the WNBA.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 20, 2015
Here's what a random American on a forum had to say after tracing his ancestry.

[b]October 4, 2011 3:25 PM
Great article, but there is one problem with this information. This DnA information compares ones DNA with that of other LIVING people whose DNA samples were collected for this purpose. Although, as the article states, there "hasn't been much movement," there have been some developments to be careful about. For example, the article lists "Hausa" and "Fulani/Fulbe." The problem is, the Fulani invaded the Hausa in 1804, and the two ethnicities have been intertwined ever since.

When I did my maternal DNA, it gave me the result of "Tikar and Hausa-Fulani." That means that my mitochondrial DNA is shared with living people who come from the Tikar and Hausa-Fulani populations. I didn't know about the Hausa-Fulani war of 1804, so I wasn't sure why they hyphenated the names of what I thought were two separate ethnicities. So I read up and learned that, in fact, at the time my last African-born Mitochondrial ancestor would've been born, the Hausa and Fulani were separate ethnic groups. The Fulani were based further north of the Hausa. After the war basically united the two peoples, they in turn expanded, exerting influence over smaller groups like the Tikar, who are from south of where the Hausa were.

As a result, I interpret my DNA result as being Tikar. As much as I'd like to claim the powerful, storied heritage of the Hausa and Fulani, it is most probable that my great-great-times-however many-grandmother was a Tikar girl from what's now Cameroon. I could be wrong, but for now, it makes the most sense to me. Her MtDNA is shared with people who today are Hausa-Fulani probably because of developments that occurred on the continent after she was taken away. A lot of mixture would've occurred between them nowadays than back then.

Because of what I've learned and what I've concluded, I question whether many African-Americans have any Hausa or Fulani heritage, and I wonder how many other stories like this there may be with other ethnic groups -- particularly the Ashanti. Nevertheless, a fascinating piece, and hopefully more knowledge about our past is forthcoming.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 20, 2015
chowlade:
Source: How do they knw? hope is not Dat DNA nonsense

Nonsense?
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 20, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Another Bala dan Bature, Anderson look so Dangotish, must be Hausa indeed. cheesy Happy weekend, more Hausa stuffs pls. Walai me I like por Arewa, kei! aikuma. Lafia lau.

Ban gane Hausan ka ba, Kai bahaushe ne Kuwa?
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 20, 2015
Kaura5000 contributions are welcomed.
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by kaura5000: 10:09am On Jun 20, 2015
Haha Anderson is not hausa I dont were you get this information

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by kaura5000: 10:18am On Jun 20, 2015
Diallo came from a prominent Fulbe family of Muslim religious leaders. His grandfather had founded the town of Bundu, and he grew up with Samba Geladio Diegui the heir (kamalenku) to the Kingdom of Futa-Toro. In 1730, Ayuba became a victim of the ever-growing slave exploitation of the Senegambia region. Ayuba and his interpreter Loumein Yoas (also known as “Lamine Jay,” “Lahamin Joy,” “Lahmin Jay,” “Lamine Ndiaye,” “Loumein Ybai,” and “Lamine Jay”) were near the Gambia River to trade slaves and paper. While visiting some friends on their return trip, Ayuba and Yoas were captured by invading Mandingoes.[1] The invaders shaved their heads to make them appear as war captives, and thereby supposedly legitimately enslavable, as opposed to their actual condition of people captured in a kidnapping raid for the specific purpose of selling slaves for financial profit. The two men were sold to factors of the Royal African Company. Ayuba subsequently convinced English Captain Pike of his high social status, and explained his father was capable of paying ransom. Pike granted Ayuba leave to find someone to send word to Ayuba’s family. Since the messenger did not return in time, at the behest of Captain Henry Hunt, Pike’s superior, Ayuba and Loumein were sent across the Atlantic to Annapolis, Maryland, where he was delivered

1 Like

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by kaura5000: 10:21am On Jun 20, 2015
Lol peter is not hausa too

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by kaura5000: 10:23am On Jun 20, 2015
Glenda too is not hausa

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by kaura5000: 10:25am On Jun 20, 2015
This one too

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by absoluteSuccess: 12:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
NadrakAnvimas:

Ban gane Hausan ka ba, Kai bahaushe ne Kuwa?
Haba Megida, Sanjuma. Baushe falafala, kandan kada ne, yeowa. cheesy Yaren da na fi soshi ne Yarba zozei. Koban kaba?
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
kaura5000:
Diallo came from a prominent Fulbe family of Muslim religious leaders. His grandfather had founded the town of Bundu, and he grew up with Samba Geladio Diegui the heir (kamalenku) to the Kingdom of Futa-Toro. In 1730, Ayuba became a victim of the ever-growing slave exploitation of the Senegambia region. Ayuba and his interpreter Loumein Yoas (also known as “Lamine Jay,” “Lahamin Joy,” “Lahmin Jay,” “Lamine Ndiaye,” “Loumein Ybai,” and “Lamine Jay”) were near the Gambia River to trade slaves and paper. While visiting some friends on their return trip, Ayuba and Yoas were captured by invading Mandingoes.[1] The invaders shaved their heads to make them appear as war captives, and thereby supposedly legitimately enslavable, as opposed to their actual condition of people captured in a kidnapping raid for the specific purpose of selling slaves for financial profit. The two men were sold to factors of the Royal African Company. Ayuba subsequently convinced English Captain Pike of his high social status, and explained his father was capable of paying ransom. Pike granted Ayuba leave to find someone to send word to Ayuba’s family. Since the messenger did not return in time, at the behest of Captain Henry Hunt, Pike’s superior, Ayuba and Loumein were sent across the Atlantic to Annapolis, Maryland, where he was delivered

Wrong thread
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
kaura5000:

I think the OP is talking about people who took the controversial DNA test and found they were partly of Hausa ancestry. 'Being Hausa' and 'being of Hausa descent' do not exactly mean the same thing.

4 Likes

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Caracta(f): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2015
Bullshit! Anthony Anderson is Jaybee3 and he has no Hausa blood cheesy
Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Nobody: 4:14am On Jun 21, 2015
kaura5000:

Lol! Calm down mate, I know how much we enjoy, take pride even in the fact that our people may have had an easier time during slavery, probably the statement I posted above may suggest that these people that have tikar and or hausa or fulbe blood may have been actually tikar indeed but on the other hand there's still the possibility of traces of hausa dna in them, so it's plausible. And the bloke you posted below is a pullo man btw, not hausa. I thought someone as learned as you in hausa culture would know better than to cram us together, I think you created the appropriate thread for that. But thanks for your input nonetheless, surprised your good friend fulaman198 didn't show up though.

1 Like

Re: African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:00am On Jun 21, 2015
NadrakAnvimas:

Lol! Calm down mate, I know how much we enjoy, take pride even in the fact that our people may have had an easier time during slavery, probably the statement I posted above may suggest that these people that have tikar and or hausa or fulbe blood may have been actually tikar indeed but on the other hand there's still the possibility of traces of hausa dna in them, so it's plausible. And the bloke you posted below is a pullo man btw, not hausa. I thought someone as learned as you in hausa culture would know better than to cram us together, I think you created the appropriate thread for that. But thanks for your input nonetheless, surprised your good friend fulaman198 didn't show up though.

Sorry I have been busy how are you doing cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Interracial Marriages In Nigeria / Latest On Comandclem / ADDFORCE Self Loading Concrete Mixer, No.1 QUALITY From China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.