Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

How Imprisonment Saved My Life - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Imprisonment Saved My Life (522 Views)

How I Was Saved From Ritualists After Entering 'One Chance' In Lagos -Lady. PIC / Nigerian Man Bags Life Imprisonment For Beating Girlfriend's Son To Death / Depressed Nigerian Girl Saved From Suicide Attempt After Slitting Her Wrist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Imprisonment Saved My Life by ptaller(m): 9:51am On Jun 20, 2015
How Imprisonment Saved My Life, Says Discharged Inmate
A 39-year-old, Osita Nwadiobi, who breathed an air of freedom on Thursday in Lagos after five years in prison custody, said his incarceration had saved his life.

“Imprisonment saved my life, I am happy that I have been in prison custody since 2011.

“If not for the prison I would have died because I was moving with `wrong people’.

“I would have ended up as a `certified’ armed robber and be killed,’’ Nwadiobi, a robbery suspect, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Nwadiobi had been detained without trial since 2011 for alleged robbery.

The suspect and 15 other inmates were pardoned and released by the Chief Judge of Lagos State, Justice Oluwafunmilayo Atilade, on Thursday during a visit to Ikoyi Prisons.

The release is pursuant to the provisions of Section 1(1) of the Criminal Justice Release from Custody (Special Provisions) Act 2007, Laws of the Federation.

Another inmate, 56-year-old Dauda Adio, the oldest among the freed inmates, also told NAN that he had been imprisoned for five years without trial over alleged stealing.

He said:“I am very happy to be freed today as I have been in prison since 2010 for alleged stealing.’’

“I am going straight to my village in Oyo; I am no longer staying in Lagos as staying in Lagos has put me into trouble.’’

The chief judge said the release of the inmates was aimed at reducing overcrowding at the prison.

“It is paramount in order to alleviate the suffering of inmates.

“There is a recurring problem of awaiting- trial detainees in our prisons.

“To tackle this problem, I will perform the statutory right conferred upon me to release inmates who have spent unreasonable time in custody without trial,’’ Atilade said. (NAN)
Source: http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/how-imprisonment-saved-my-life-says-discharged-inmate/
Re: How Imprisonment Saved My Life by Nicepoker(m): 10:03am On Jun 20, 2015
They were all speaking under the influence of semi cooked beans.

1 Like

Re: How Imprisonment Saved My Life by ptaller(m): 10:07am On Jun 20, 2015
LOL@ Nicepoker, funny you.

(1) (Reply)

Kenyan Woman Kills 3 Children, Eats Their Intestine / Nigeria Loses N59.6bn To Pipeline Vandalism — NNPC / New ISIS Leader Killed In US Air Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.