Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Difference Between A University And A College - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between A University And A College (9497 Views)

Difference Between State University And Federal University / Covenant University And OAU Ife Compared By A Twitter User / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between A University And A College by Hammefeez: 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
It’s that time of the year when students and
parents alike start to explore their post
high-school education options. One of the
things they begin to think of is the
difference between a university and a
college. The general assumption is that
universities offer better education than
colleges. Truth be told, there are a lot of
things to consider when making a decision
between a university and a college course.
Even though there a lot of differences, let’s
look at the four major variances between
the two.

This is, arguably, the most important
difference between university and college.
The reason being a university education is
very much academic. It’s abstract at most –
teaching you how to think critically. On the
other side, college education focuses more
on everyday, functional or applied
knowledge and practical learning – more or
less teaching you how to do things.
At university, you’ll likely sit in a lecture
theatre with over 150 people, listen to a
professor talk, and then read and hand in
assignments and essays. Whereas in college,
class often takes the form of the students
learning how to do something and then
getting up and doing it, e.g. opening up a
computer, baking a real cake with real
ingredients, or taking apart a car engine.
These forms of learning have advantages
and disadvantages – university graduates
sometimes find themselves unsure of what
it is they’ve been trained to do when it
comes to translating their knowledge to real
world problems. On the flip side, college
graduates might find their programs were
too focused or single minded, and wish
they’d gotten a taste of a wider range of
topics.
All things considered, you might want to
join programs that are offered through
university and college partnerships. With
these kinds of programs, you’d generally
spend a year in college to earn a diploma
and then a further 3 or 4 years in university
to earn your degree. Such a route is likely to
best prepare you for the real world
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Hammefeez: 3:58pm On Jun 20, 2015
Generally speaking, a university degree takes longer to finish than a college program. Most undergraduate degrees take about 3 – 5 years to complete. Meanwhile, a college diploma or course can range from 1 – 3 years. When looking at getting a job as soon as you get out of school, going to college is likely the right choice. What’s more, the currency of a typical university and college day is also something to consider. In many university programs, students have a lot of freedom in creating their own timetables, resulting in days where you might have 4 – 5 hours classes, while other days have none. On the other hand, college classes are often similar to high school days; fixed and intense. A college schedule might have you at your desk from 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
COST University programs are more expensive. Yearly costs at university can be double what you’d pay for a college course. Over a couple of years, this difference in cost will definitely add up to a small fortune. So, it is important to figure out your finances before beginning a program. However, It’s essential to know that universities offer assistance through government grants or loans.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Hammefeez: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
Program value and Education are, perhaps, the most important factors to think through when considering your options. In the eyes of most employers, a university degree is of more value because of broader course options, and longer programs. Universities are generally bigger and prestigious institutions. Statistics also show that university graduates have more earning power compared to college graduates. So, in the end, it really all comes down to personal preference – which school and program ticks all the boxes for you. And, which one do you feel will give you the best launch-pad for your future? Finally, before making any hasty decisions, do a lot of research – talk to former and current university and college students about what they are doing and their current feelings about the whole thing, and ask potential employers what kind of education they’d suggest.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Aspiregreat: 4:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
Ok lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Hammefeez: 7:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
Aspiregreat:
Ok lipsrsealed

Ok What ?? ?
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by kevinbyard: 1:34pm On Aug 10, 2018
The difference is huge, to be honest. University is way easier for me. Maybe it's because I found a lot of help at [url=payforessays..com]http://payforessays..com[/url], who knows. All I know is that university will be a great experience for everyone. It was a great part of me becoming a better person. Every person who I met was an inspiration for me. I hope that one day I will pass on this knowledge.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by khurumqadeer: 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2018
The first and foremost difference is that a college is a smaller institution that gives undergraduate degrees, whereas university is a bigger institute that give undergraduate and graduate degrees. Some colleges have 2 year degrees, junior colleges and community colleges but mostly colleges have associate degrees. Universities offer Master’s and Ph.D. degrees. On the other hand universities have border area of pedagogical methods as they promote creative and critical learning. They have many departments and programs to offer with compare to colleges. We should also needs to acknowledge Campus Alerts for getting more information.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Ayshakhan922(m): 4:06pm On Nov 02, 2018
One of the biggest differences between a college and a university is that a college has a limited scope of the study and at university, you can learn many things. At college main focus is not on critical thinking but at university, it is a significant element. I need help with dissertation and i think this website is good to having educational topics contained in this site.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by daylelong: 2:41pm On Jan 28, 2019
If you doubt that it is worth choosing and whether it is worth going to college at all, here is a good article on [url]EssayServiceScanner.com[/url] which will help you to understand.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Nathan22: 8:42am On Apr 09, 2019
University is totally differnt from college life, college life is the door open in the professional world where student map there goals where as univerisity is the professiona world where you start as a professional and start accomplishing your goals. In college life student help is provided by the teachers and are guided where as in university you have to help yourself own in every assignment.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Aalumattar: 11:16am On May 03, 2019
These forms of learning have advantages and disadvantages – university graduates sometimes find themselves unsure of what it is they’ve been trained to do when it comes to translating their knowledge to real world problems. On the flip side, college graduates might find their programs were too focused or single minded, and wish they’d gotten a taste of a wider range of topics. 300-135 dumps
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by KaylaPass: 8:05am On May 17, 2019
If I wanted to study, I would go to university and not to college because the level of education given at the university is higher than the level of education given at college. But there is a con - teachers who work at the university forbid using such services as the best coursework paper writing service https://propaperwritings.com/essay-sample-manners.html because they believe that in order to give students a good level of education, they should avoid cheating!
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Ezron: 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2019
This was really a new knowledge truck accident attorney california. It is the first time I came to know the Difference between a University and a College. Here they have provided a clear explanation about the . I really understood the Difference between a University and a College.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by Aalumattar: 9:19am On Jul 16, 2019
A college schedule might have you at your desk from 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. 1z0-931 dumps
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by carylouder007: 10:22am On Nov 29, 2019
All readers are looking for interesting ideas that software companies in kochi infopark are creating more users and readers for this page. The best ideas are helping the readers very much to collect all ideas easily than any other page.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by ryanbabraham: 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2020
It is an informative article, and it gives me more information about the difference between a university and a college. Your way of presentation is really good, and I appreciate your work. Cellular Booster I want more details about this topic.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by WilderPeters: 6:38pm On Sep 23, 2020
Now that you have come to a university, I am sure that you must know that all of the students have been using experts from the essay club. This is the only way to manage so much work given to you.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by YoshiroAdams: 8:28pm On Dec 17, 2020
thank you very much for sharing articles. Recently, I am writing research in the form of an article that deals with an educational issue and I am having difficulties. I am well aware of cases from my practice when you need to write an article at the last moment due to lack of time or other problems. The best solution for me is to order it from a writing service, but make sure you go to a reliable service. To do this, you can read the reviews on the Online Writers Rating and find a service that has good customer reviews and high ratings for quality. This site helped me find a service that I have been using for over a year.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by sinkhole: 6:10am On Dec 18, 2020
The difference between College and University is like the difference between a village and a city!
College is a small part of a University, that is why standalone colleges (e.g., colleges of education) give certificates and in the Universities you have college of medicine, college of arts and science, etc.

For standalone colleges to award degree certificate they will have to be affiliated to a University, thus becoming part of the University.
Re: Difference Between A University And A College by JamesGeorge: 10:48am On Jan 19, 2023
Some college students are not able to complete their assignment before the ending the deadline, They can avail of the dissertation writing services from AssignmentDesk.co.uk Its writers are highly skilled in various subjects so they can easily solve your academic problem.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Postgraduate Past Questions & Answers For 2018/2019 Entrance Exams / Lagos State University Part Time Application Form Is Out(external Campuses) / Why The Government Is Right In Licensing New Private Universities (Opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.