Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Never Too Late To Start Caring - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Never Too Late To Start Caring (882 Views)

Too Late To Turn Back / is it too late? by queeny / A Little Too Late? By Emma Ohi #mobilebookshelfwaw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Never Too Late To Start Caring by AustinBlinks(m): 11:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
"Rip Mary" was heading. Written in bold,dark Italic letterings with a picture of a girl who had a smile on her face. There was something about the picture that makes it look as though she was staring back at you. She had a beautiful Smile, a dimple, thick eye brows that highlighted her almond shaped eyes. The picture was perfect, a face with no blemish, a white dentition glowed beneath her small mouth, a pointed nose, a round face, protruding jaw line... everything was so perfect except that the girl in it was dead and i knew nothing about her.

I knew her as a colleague in school, she was a quiet one, always aloofing from the rest of the class. She hardly says hello but she would reply with a beautiful Smile whenever you greet her and disappears before you could say another word. I never knew her name until now that she's dead. Many said she was the nicest girl they've ever met, alot more said she could never hurt a fly and there i was staring at her picture, wondering why i was classmates with someone for 3 years and i knew nothing about her. I wished i was her friend, i wished i had spoken to her more often, i wished i had walked her to the park the day i saw her walking home alone. Maybe there was something i could have said or done to have stopped her from committing suicide.

I'm not the only one, we all are guilty of this. We are all too busy with ourselves we forget other people exists to. We see life as a race and each one of us needs to outrun the other, we fail to realise we all have different finish lines and no one gets to your finish line except you.

You have a thousand friends on social medias whom you give your likes to but not your love, chatting with someone a thousand miles away but won't say hello to the person sitting next to you in a bus. We leave in a world where people call you a freak for trying to start a conversation with a random person on the streets.

"Be there for your friends and they'll be there too but no one will be if a group message will do" (Gary Turk). It is now too late for me to be friends with Mary but it is not too late to ask my neighbor how his day was or start a conversation with the next person i share a cab with. It's never too late to share my mind with Joe, my classmate, his words could save me from making a bad choice, it's never too late to pick up my phone and call my long time friend to ask how he's been fairing since the last we talked. It's never too late to tell someone about what i admire most in them because i don't want to be staring at their picture and wishing i had known them better nor do i want a bunch of strangers at my funeral who knows nothing about me.

Tell someone how you feel , call someone else and ask how they're doing, Start a conversation with someone because life is too short and everyone knows no one likes to be alone. Stop the music, remove those headphones and join the conversation. Laugh with the clique, play outdoor games and stop living like a zombie around other people. It's never too late to give someone your love because we all have  finite number of days.
It's never too late to make friends because the best social media is not internet connected,  it's the eye contact we make, the touch we give and the Smile we put on people's faces. It is never too late.

~ AustinBlinks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Too Late To Start Caring by evaZee: 11:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
Thanks for this my brother ,this is gospel.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chika Unigwe's Short Story For Al Jazeera 'the Smell Of Home' #trending / My Night With A Blogger (part 2) / The Governor's Dauhter (episode 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.