Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police (930 Views)

How The Ritualist Den At Ile-Zik Lagos Was Uncovered. Photos / Woman Sows A Seed With A Stolen SUV In Church In Lagos & Was Arrested / Man Found Hanged In Aboru In Lagos Was Murdered - Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by information1: 6:44am On Jun 22, 2015
https://informationengine./2015/06/22/photo-ghanaian-declared-missing-in-lagos-was-arrested-by-the-police/
Ghanaian declared missing in Lagos was arrested by the Police21-year-old Ghanaian, Etroo Mensah, who was declared missing after the police raided the Ikota, Ajah area of Lagos three months ago, has been found.Ereoo who came back home at 2pm last Wednesday,had been arraigned in court by the police, and was remanded at the Ikoyi Prison a week after the raid.
PUNCH Metro had exclusively reported on June 10, that the family members of the Ghanaian were anxious about his whereabouts, after he was arrested during a police raid in the Ikota area on March 14.It was reported that Etroo’s mother, Elizabeth, and elder brother, Napoleon, had gone round all police divisions in Ajah to look for him, but it was a fruitless search.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro on Saturday, the Ghanaian said he and 35 persons were arrested and taken to the Ajah Police Division after the raid.

He added that while others were bailed by their family members, he and three others were tried in a court the following Monday and remanded at the Ikoyi Prison.
He said,

“On that morning, at about 6am, I was at a shop to buy a tube of toothpaste. I saw everyone running. I did not run because I had not committed any offence. Suddenly, a man grabbed me from behind, handcuffed me and threatened to shoot me if I ran.
“They arrested about 40 persons from the street. They had a big bus. They took all of us to the Ajah division and lined us at the station. Four women were among us. They took some of us to the Elemoro Police Station. We were in Elemoro for four days.

“That was where I called my brother. While we spoke, I told him we were arrested by policemen from the Ajah station, I was about telling him I had been taken to Elemoro when a police woman, Juliana Adeniyi, snatched the mobile phone from me.

“By the following Tuesday, family members had come to bail most of us. It remained about six of us inside the cell. I could not reach my family because the police woman did not return my mobile phone. I did not have their contacts off hand.
“On that day, we were arraigned at the Tinubu Magistrates’ Court and four of us were taken to Ikoyi Prison from there.

“That was where I had been for three months. The three others were Olaosebikan Temitope, Stephen Adjei, and one Rasak. I am the only Ghanaian. The three others also said they were innocent on the matter.”

Etroo added that the four of them kept appearing in court with no complainant and prosecutor till the magistrate struck out the case on Tuesday, June 16.
He said,

“In my cell, there were many bedbugs. We were sleeping on a rug. The rug was the home of bugs and they sucked life out of me. I was in cell 06 with four other persons. I met one man inside the prison, named Awolowo, who was nice to me and gave me money sometimes to meet my needs.
“The meals were not regular, but they were not bad. The four of us kept appearing in the court until June 16, when the magistrate declared us acquitted and discharged. I begged for money to pay for my transport fares back to Ajah. I thank God that I am back home at last.”

Our correspondent gathered that Etroo was taken to a hospital for treatment from Wednesday till Friday after developing malaria.
The elder brother, Napoleon, told PUNCH Metro that the family was happy for the publication, adding that they were glad to have Etroo back home.
https://informationengine./2015/06/22/photo-ghanaian-declared-missing-in-lagos-was-arrested-by-the-police/

Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by delishpot: 6:54am On Jun 22, 2015
Thunder fire those police people. They have brought too much sorrow to families sha.

Does this mean that in Naija if your person gets missing the first suspects for the kidnap will be the Nigerian police? Its a big shame. Tufiakwa.
Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by oluwafemi113(m): 6:58am On Jun 22, 2015
Bross welcome back home

Good news to start the week
Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by hushmail: 7:18am On Jun 22, 2015
just d listen to dis 4 news now.
Abeg dis should not be handled like normal 9ja things
those responsible must face d music
9ja police making d innocent guilty since inception
Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by Cadamlk: 7:18am On Jun 22, 2015
Sometimes I weep for our police with the way they discharge their duties.These are men and women that are supposed to maintain law and order but rather they are the ones breaking the law with their high level of disorderliness.
Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by TunjiMsp: 7:30am On Jun 22, 2015
In as much this policemen says the raid is to flush out criminal, I think this kind act by them should never be unpunished, the family should seek compensation from the police force and the officer should be sanctioned. They can easily arrest innocent citizen , but when they see armed robbers they piss for body.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Declared Missing In Lagos Was Arrested By The Police by entparrot(f): 7:55am On Jun 23, 2015
The DPO and DCO that sign the charges, should be held responsible. The inspector, sergeant, that arrested the boy, cannot charge the boy to court without the signature of the DCO.

Is time DPO's are held responsible for all this atrocities.

First of all detaining the boy for 4days is illegal, then also charging the boy to court with false charges..

Big shame on Nigerian Police

(1) (Reply)

Horror In Awka Anambra State: Police Discover 4 Decomposing Corpses In A Room / Sport Betting / Fraudulent SMS I Received Today (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.