Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Le Bernardin Restaurant Review - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Le Bernardin Restaurant Review (928 Views)

See The N200 Per Plate Restaurant Opened By Yobe University Lecturers. (photos) / Lady Served With Meat That Looks Like Male Genital At Ghana Restaurant (Photos) / See The Prize Of Chin Chin In A Restaurant In Lekki (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Le Bernardin Restaurant Review by PatrickBateman(m): 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2015
There are really good restaurants and there are good restaurants. I expected Le Bernadin to be really good, and it almost was, except it fell short in a few areas.

My friends and I had the three-course prix fixe lunch. The service was good. The waiters were polite and attentive and they knew the menu well. At times, it seemed they were simply reciting and delivering well-rehearsed lines about the food, which is understandeable. I don't expect to be holding an extended conversation, but I do hope the answers would at least correspond to my questions. That did not always happen.

I started with the Kumamoto oysters, which I had the pleasure of tasting in Osaka many years ago. At Le Bernadin, however, they arrived looking pallid and uninteresting on a characterless bed of rock ice. The size of each oyster was lamentable, the largest being about the size of a quarter. In terms of taste, they had a well-rounded saltiness and a decent, subtle plumminess. However, because they were so small, every bite felt somewhat lacking, and there was a distinct sense that the whole dish was in fact very average. I am a firm believer in the "quality over quantity" mantra, but this was decidedly disappointing. Large, plump, juicy and succulent Kumamoto oysters can be the norm, rather than the exception. Le Bernadin - this dish is not something to be proud of.

The main course was a vast improvement. I had the seared rare king fish, which was excellent. The fish was seared evenly on the outside, leaving a warm rosey centre. The consistent progression from seared exterior to raw interior was perfect, and the result was a mellow, buttery fish that worked from start to beginning. I would have preferred a stickier and thicker wasabi sauce, perhaps poured less generously by the side. But this did not detract from the quality of the fish.

After such a majestic main course, one would expect or hope that dessert would be able to match up. Sadly, the hazelnut and gianduja failed to deliver. I admit I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and am not at all well-versed in the ways of the pastry chef. But dessert was a flat and tired bundle of sugar. This, like the Kumamoto osyters, definitely looked better on the menu than it tasted.

So all in all, this is a distinctly "good" establishment, as opposed to "really good". If every course had had the quality of the king fish, I would have no qualms eating there again. But on the basis of what I had, I would consider the many other options in NYC before stepping in here in future. undecided
Re: Le Bernardin Restaurant Review by tope24(m): 12:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
no pictures?
Re: Le Bernardin Restaurant Review by PatrickBateman(m): 9:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
tope24:
no pictures?

Official Le Bernardin website:

https://www.le-bernardin.com/menus/dining-room/dinner
Re: Le Bernardin Restaurant Review by Pamelayoung: 12:20pm On Jun 28, 2015
PatrickBateman:
There are really good restaurants and there are good restaurants. I expected Le Bernadin to be really good, and it almost was, except it fell short in a few areas.

My friends and I had the three-course prix fixe lunch. The service was good. The waiters were polite and attentive and they knew the menu well. At times, it seemed they were simply reciting and delivering well-rehearsed lines about the food, which is understandeable. I don't expect to be holding an extended conversation, but I do hope the answers

would at least correspond to my questions. That did not

always happen.

Gud 4 u.

I started with the Kumamoto oysters, which I had the pleasure of tasting in Osaka many years ago. At Le Bernadin, however, they arrived looking pallid and uninteresting on a characterless bed of rock ice. The size of each oyster was lamentable, the largest being about the size of a quarter. In terms of taste, they had a well-rounded saltiness and a decent, subtle plumminess. However, because they were so small, every bite felt somewhat lacking, and there was a distinct sense that the whole dish was in fact very average. I am a firm believer in the "quality over quantity" mantra, but this was decidedly disappointing. Large, plump, juicy and succulent Kumamoto oysters can be the norm, rather than the exception. Le Bernadin - this dish is not something to be proud of.

The main course was a vast improvement. I had the seared rare king fish, which was excellent. The fish was seared evenly on the outside, leaving a warm rosey centre. The consistent progression from seared exterior to raw interior was perfect, and the result was a mellow, buttery fish that worked from start to beginning. I would have preferred a stickier and thicker wasabi sauce, perhaps poured less generously by the side. But this did not detract from the quality of the fish.

After such a majestic main course, one would expect or hope that dessert would be able to match up. Sadly, the hazelnut and gianduja failed to deliver. I admit I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and am not at all well-versed in the ways of the pastry chef. But dessert was a flat and tired bundle of sugar. This, like the Kumamoto osyters, definitely looked better on the menu than it tasted.

So all in all, this is a distinctly "good" establishment, as opposed to "really good". If every course had had the quality of the king fish, I would have no qualms eating there again. But on the basis of what I had, I would consider the many other options in NYC before stepping in here in future. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Small Chops In Calabar / How To Make Chin Chin / Good And Bad Things About Being A Vegetarian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.