Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,518 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

What Do You Know About Brazil ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Know About Brazil ? (902 Views)

Ghanaians Ask For Asylum In Brazil July 11, 2014 7:52 AM / Some Things You Did Not Know About Brazil / Need Info On Brazil (cost, Lifestyle Etc) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Know About Brazil ? by yomitesp(m): 7:22pm On Feb 26, 2009
What do you know about BRAZIL ?
Re: What Do You Know About Brazil ? by elctroguru(m): 8:18pm On Feb 26, 2009
Re: What Do You Know About Brazil ? by yomitesp(m): 8:30pm On Feb 26, 2009
@eletroguru,

Thanx . I would love to read people´s views on this.
Re: What Do You Know About Brazil ? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 26, 2009
it depends on where you go and who you are,  Brazil is a "dormant" racist country, you probably already know that the blacks in Brazil are not always well seen. Brazil being the last country in the Western Hemisphere to abolish slavery and it can still be felt talking with people in and about. it's funny because sometime i feel like they embrass their african roots so much and yet other time it's the opposite.
There are deep disparities in income, education and employment between lighter and "darker-skinned" people and the government has implemented affirmative action programs in education and employment for "darker-skinned" people,
most people living in the favelas are black therefore being black can be seen as being poor.
Blacks make up almost half of the total population — but nearly two-thirds of the nation’s poor. Illiteracy among black Brazilians is twice as high as among whites.
i have visited San Paolo/ Rio/Florianopolis many times and, due to my line of work, i don't really FEEL the racism. I remember once i met a girl who told me that if i wasn't "doing what i was doing"(my job), she would have never dated me OR a lady who told me she would never date a black person because, chances are, they come from the favelas.
You have to always prove that you are from a higher social status than people living in favelas but yet, you can have a favela right next to a very posh/upscale area!
Funny enough, you go to the carnival or the beautiful beaches and you would never know that there is such differences.
crime is very high in Brazil due to the poverty factor and the nightlife is wonderful. it is one of the most expensive city in South America so watch out!

(1) (Reply)

Uk Visa:travelling To Uk Successfully And Securing A High Paying Job In Uk / Travel The World Visa Free / Nigeria Leads Other Country In Usa Diversity Visa 2011 Lottery Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.