Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,401 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Salsa Craze In Nigeria - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Salsa Craze In Nigeria (3167 Views)

Salsa Abuja / Closeup Fresh Challenge - Salsa Competition / Where Can I Learn To Dance The Salsa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salsa Craze In Nigeria by cyberjinx: 1:18pm On Feb 27, 2009
Hi Guys,
salsa is becoming a global trend among young people because of its informal nature and close male/female contact.I am a salsa instructor/ IT engineer with a passion for the latin dances,but i want to find out,what do u guys think about salsa and the hype it is generating all over the world?
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 27, 2009
I'm very strongly into salsa, but the Nigerian environment is more than a little dulling. I'm trying to learn other dances (mainly cha cha, foxtrot and waltz). Nigeria caught on late, it was already all over many places in the world.

Is there something about people involved in IT and salsa?
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 27, 2009
I wonder how I'm supposed to learn foxtrot in Nigeria. Is there even a ball room in Nigeria?

Okay, maybe that was overdoing it.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 5:00pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hola Salseros,

It's nice to hear about salsa in Nigeria.  It's my favourite music and dance.

I've been dancing salsa since the early nineties and took my first formal lessons after watching some salsa teachers and their students dance on TV.

I immediately decided to join the classes and progressed from being a beginners' beginner right up to the master class.  It took me three years to learn to dance salsa properly. 

Indeed, I'm king of salsa (no bulls!) and used to teach salsa in my spare time in Blackburn but haven't done so for a while due to work commitment.  Although it took me three years to learn how to dance properly, the girls in my salsa classes could dance very well in only three months.  I guess it boils down to the teaching style and what the teacher aims to get out of it - business or pleasure.

It's just so, so great to be able to dance salsa.  The salsa dance floors in the UK and Continental Europe are heaving with salsero and salseras.  What a great scene, packed full of people of all nationalities.  Great place to meet people.

I dance all styles including:

-  Cuban
-  LA (on1) - cross-body and shines
-  Charanga
-  Bachata
-  Merengue
-  Cumbia
-  Cha Cha

I also play the clave (pronounced 'kla-vey') - the key musical instrument in salsa music for rhythm and timing.

I go to salsa congresses all over, during the summer.  I plan to go to Japan sometime this year 'cos salsa is big in Japan as well, not to mention the other countries of the world.  You name the country and I can guarantee you that salsa is popular there.

Indeed, salsa is the number one dance right now that's sweeping the whole world.  If you can dance salsa, then you are well sorted.  Take it from me 'cos I've been hooked on it for years and years.

I also took lessons in tango and flamenco.  I do not like dancing tango 'cos the music doesn't get me going and the women grip your neck too hard whilst dancing to it, such that it used to tickle me, making me burst into a laughter.  It's not for me.  Moreover, it isn't a very popular dance, quite unlike salsa.

I did enjoy the flamenco classes but had to stop after three months 'cos I preferred a Spaniard to teach me instead of an English person.  It's always better to learn the dance from someone who originates from the same part of the world as the music and dance.

I'd definitely check-out the salsa clubs when I visit Nigeria.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 5:10pm On Mar 28, 2009
You must really love dancing. I love watching people dance salsa and all, i'm just not sure its my thing. Four years ago the best i could do to any music i loved was jump, right now i think i'm a lot better than that. I think when it comes to hip hop i do know how to follow the beat and make some cool moves smiley.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 8:34pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hi,

Yeap, I really like dancing salsa.

I've never been to a mainstream club ever since I learnt how to dance salsa that many years ago.  I'd be lost in an r&b club if I went there.  Definitely not my scene. 

You should take classes in salsa - I'm sure you'll like it.  It doesn't matter even if you've got two left feet.  You'll be a good dancer if taught well.  Just give it a try.  You don't need a partner to take along to the classes either.

I've got so many English friends and they are all very good dancers.  There's just one who is crap at it 'cos he never practises the three key elements that are crucial to dancing salsa.  Instead, he just dances like Worzel Gummidge!

In addition to the other styles I mentioned previously, I also dance:

-  Puerto Rican style
-  Guaguanco
-  Rumba

I was at Salsology two weeks ago - a massive salsa event with well over 400 people on the dance floor.  Copa's last night.  Resting today but off out to salsa in Sheffield tomorrow.  I can't bloody wait.

Other than salsa, I like indie and can dance to it.  However, I never go to any indie club.  I just listen to it whilst driving.

Salsa is my thing 'cos the music is great, the dance is very sexy, the people are friendly and the atmosphere is just fantastic. 

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 28, 2009
Salsa makes me cringe sad
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 8:44pm On Mar 28, 2009
Just maybe i might, like i said , i enjoying watching the dance, think there's the sexy twist to it. Well, while you can't wait to go for your dance tomorrow , i can't wait to run my software appplication i'm designing.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hi Ib,

I beg your pardon?

How on earth can salsa make you cringe?  Are you kidding or what?  Honestly, you don't know what you are missing.

I don't suppose you've got issues with being held intimately as done in salsa or do ya?  Please don't knock it until you've tried.  Flying and salsa are my passion in life.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 28, 2009
kiwi992:

Hi Ib,

I beg your pardon?

How on earth can salsa make you cringe?  Are you kidding or what?  Honestly, you don't know what you are missing.

I don't suppose you've got issues with being held intimately as done in salsa or do ya?  Please don't knock it until you've tried.  Flying and salsa are my passion in life.

kiwi992.
Urrgh, especially when a guy does it, I'm sorry but it just does not tinkle my fancy embarassed
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:01pm On Mar 28, 2009
Chelle,

Christ, that must boring, or is it not?  Software design, I mean.

Take a rest and switch off from work tomorrow.  Go somewhere nice and just chill, listening to salsa music. The music would uplift your soul.  

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:07pm On Mar 28, 2009
Ib,

So, what's wrong with a guy dancing salsa then?  Salsa is a partner dance, for Christ's sake! 

The music makes one so, so happy.  You won't believe it.  Right now, I'm listening to charanga and bachata.  How so beautiful.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 28, 2009
Lol, to me, it seems corny
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:25pm On Mar 28, 2009
Ib,

Don't knock it until you've tried.

Salsa is great, take it from me.  Right now, I'm listening to a track called 'Yolanda'.  Beautiful, so beautiful.  I can't even get up to cook my tea and it's already getting late at 8.25 pm.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 9:30pm On Mar 28, 2009
I am waiting for you to make a nice comment. I mean i dint critique bout your Salsa. Have You heard of music while you work, listening to a bit of rock. It aint that bad you working with my mates online, working my head for crazy ideas, Its my project. smiley
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 28, 2009
kiwi992:

Ib,

Don't knock it until you've tried.

Salsa is great, take it from me.  Right now, I'm listening to a track called 'Yolanda'.  Beautiful, so beautiful.  I can't even get up to cook my tea and it's already getting late at 8.25 pm.

kiwi992.
I think I'll pass  smiley
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:40pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hi Chelle,

No need to get your knickers in a twist! 

That was only a light-hearted comment.  Maybe you are a bit stressed-out with the project.  Chill.

Good luck with it.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:45pm On Mar 28, 2009
Ib,

Cool.

By the way, it seems you are located near to my home town - Bakana.  Right?

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 28, 2009
kiwi992:

Ib,

Cool.

By the way, it seems you are located near to my home town - Bakana.  Right?

kiwi992.
Oh sure grin
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 9:58pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hi Ib,

Very nice to know.  Hope you've been there 'an all.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 10:03pm On Mar 28, 2009
ok Kiwi man,  i never met someone so passionate about his dance, Got any other passion hobbies
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 10:14pm On Mar 28, 2009
Hi Chelle,

Are you chilled now or what?  Please try not to be very sensitive. 

Actually, my passion in life are just three things:

-  flying light aircraft 
-  dancing salsa
-  playing chess

I like my work but that ain't a passion for me.  Take a look at the Careers section (Flying and SAP threads) and you'll know what I mean.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 10:54pm On Mar 28, 2009
Thats nice, i love music, little hangouts and my pc. i love music soooooooooo much.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 7:08pm On Mar 29, 2009
Hey Chelle,

Cool!

Good luck with the project.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 8:11pm On Mar 29, 2009
Hey kiwi hows it going had a little breakthrough. How did the dance go,
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Gaminechic: 9:18pm On Mar 29, 2009
I only go to the clubs to LMAO when my friends are dancing

it just seems so ridiculous, Nigerians dancing the thing
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by Cristalz(f): 10:23pm On Mar 29, 2009
I love Salsa. . .and every other kind of Latin dance!

Most are passionate, sexy, fun, involve loads of flexibility, and those drums! They never fail to move 'em hips grin Doing it comfortably in high heels is something I'm still trying to master.

Abuja is rapidly going salsa crazy!
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 10:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
Cristalz:

I love Salsa and BRASH. . .and every other kind of Latin dance!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked kiss grin
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2009
Hi All,

CHELLE

I'm cool, thanks.

Really good to hear that you made some breakthrough with the project.  You must be chuffed.  I'm happy for you.

The salsa in Sheffield was really, really nice.  Good DJ as well.  Actually, I got there a wee bit late 'cos I didn't have the club's post code to navigate there.  Still, it was fab and packed full of dancers.  I would definitely go there again.

GAMINE

Why is it funny to you, seeing Nigerians dance salsa?

Salsa originated from Africa (West Africa, Congo and Mozambique).  It was taken to the Latin Americas by the slaves.  Many of the salsa songs have got Yoruba words in them even though they are sung in Spanish, believe it or not.  Indeed, most of the Latin music and dance have their origins in Africa.  This is always mentioned in the songs by the artistes.

In Africa, salsa is called pachanga and whilst a kid in Nigeria, I used to listen to pachanga on Radio Santa Isabel (Equatorial Guinea).  I understand Santa Isabel is now called Malabo.  So, there - a bit of salsa history for you.

Maybe you should give it a try by taking classes.  You'll be amazed to find out that it's the most fun you can ever have with your dancing shoes on.

CRISTAL

Good to hear you like salsa. 

Actually, you need to wear sensible shoes for salsa as opposed to high heels.  Get yourself some pairs of salsa shoes (these have got flat heels).

You could always wear your high heels to the salsa club and change to something more appropriate.  That's what a lot of the girls over here do.  You need to, otherwise you'd hurt yourself when being spun by the guy.  You really don't want to break your ankle, fall over or anything like that.

Oh yeah, always:

1.  Listen to the beat
     -  the base in the music or the clave, that is.

2.  Count
     -  123_tap, 123_tap (for Cuban style)
     -  123_567, 123_567 (for LA (i.e. on1)) a.k.a cross-body
     -  12, 12 (for merengue)

3.   Wriggle your hips
     -  like a snake (remember the origin of the music and dance as mentioned above)

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by kiwi992(m): 6:29pm On Mar 30, 2009
Hi,

1.  Listen to the beat
     -  the base in the music or the clave, that is.

Sorry, I meant 'bass'.

I don't know why Seun has removed the 'modify' button, thus making it difficult to edit posts.  I wish he'd put it back on.

kiwi992.
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by michGough(f): 9:44pm On Mar 30, 2009
Hi Kiwi,
Saw your tips for dancing, Very helpful. Anyway, i'm glad you had fun, better late than never.
Each day for me with my oroject seems to get better. grin
Re: Salsa Craze In Nigeria by princesa(f): 2:01pm On Mar 31, 2009
it's a cool and sexy dance
wish i could learn it embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Record Label Needs Upcoming Artistes / Lily Allen – Your Choice Ft Burna Boy / Introducing Museke.com - African Music Lyrics - Intelligent Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.