Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,114 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols (1880 Views)

Nicholas Winton The Man That Saved 669 Jewish Kids During The Holocaust(photos) / Nairaland Parents , Do You Agree With This ? / What do Your Parents Do When A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 25, 2015
Hi family section mums and dads grin

My kids are just starting school in September and I'm FINALLY going to start working again by Gods grace. Trying to plan ahead. We all know how expensive childcare is abroad. What do you do with your kids during the hols, especially summer hols. Most people that I've asked use a nanny but I'm really wary of leaving my kids alone with a minder for such long hours whilst they are still so young. Advice is very welcome

Cc babygirlfl, Damiso, ewuro4 and any other parent, gracias
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

My kids are just starting school in September and I'm FINALLY going to start working again by Gods grace. Trying to plan ahead. We all know how expensive childcare is abroad. What do you do with your kids during the hols, especially summer hols. Most people that I've asked use a nanny but I'm really wary of leaving my kids alone with a minder for such long hours whilst they are still so young. Advice is very welcome

how old are the kids
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by thorpido(m): 11:30am On Jun 25, 2015
You will have to use a nanny.Just do some research on who you plan to use.

Like Fela said,....we too dey fear.
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 25, 2015
feran14:

how old are the kids

4 year old twins
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

4 year old twins

ah mama ibeji.

use the nanny... but be strict with the choosing..or use someone you've known for a while
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 25, 2015
thorpido:
You will have to use a nanny.Just do some research on who you plan to use.

Like Fela said,....we too dey fear.

Hmm I dey fear ooo. Small kids can frustrate even their own mums, now leaving them to someone else from 8am to 6pm. I would have to llovd do a professional child minder who is trained, will do activities with them, take them out , etc. not a naija person who will shout at them all day, ignore them and always be on the phone( from bitter experience with babysitters) but that na serious money cry
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

Hmm I dey fear ooo. Small kids can frustrate even their own mums, now leaving them to someone else from 8am to 6pm. I would have to llovd do a professional child minder who is trained, will do activities with them, take them out , etc. not a naija person who will shout at them all day, ignore them and always be on the phone( from bitter experience with babysitters) but that na serious money cry

where will they stay after school?
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 25, 2015
feran14:

ah mama ibeji.

use the nanny... but be strict with the choosing..or use someone you've known for a while

Yeah, I have someone I use now, she is manageable with them. But I dunno how she will be for such long hours. Na God go help us oo
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 25, 2015
feran14:

where will they stay after school?

I have someone that would pick them up and keep for a few hours till I get home
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

Yeah, I have someone I use now, she is manageable with them. But I dunno how she will be for such long hours. Na God go help us oo

ask her na..
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 25, 2015
feran14:

ask her na..

Yeahhh I will probably have to use her and pray for the best. I just wanted to see what others do , I guess we all use nannies and pray for the best grin
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
You definitely have to use a nanny.. You can hire from those registered companies that train nannies. . I think they're better. ..
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

Yeahhh I will probably have to use her and pray for the best. I just wanted to see what others do , I guess we all use nannies and pray for the best grin

we? its usually daycare.schools usually have them here but I don't think u have that option
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by thorpido(m): 12:04pm On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

Not everyone is bad.Though I'm a man,I can easily do a nanny's job.I love kids.

Since you say you have someone you use,try her and see if she can take them for those long hours.
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by babygirlfl: 12:11pm On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

My dear, I have been using one nanny since my cutie turned a year after my maternity leave as I had to go back to both work and school. You just have to hope for the best. I have been very lucky because I have only used one nanny for a long time without any problem.
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by manuelpepper: 12:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
ooops.......i neva marry o

[size=80pt] I P C [/size]

[size=40pt] CHANGE! [/size]

[size=20pt]HELP THIS HANDSOME CHARMING GUY PLEASE CHECK MY SIGNATURE BELOW[/size]
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by damiso(f): 12:22pm On Jun 25, 2015
I am using a registered child minder who coincidentally is also their god mother. Me and hubby are also taking some days of annual leave over the holidays so we can actually get to spend some time with them. We are going away for a week but we will also be taking days off intermittently so its not like they don't also get to see mum& dad like during the term where mornings are so rushed. I really wish I could take the WHOLE summer holiday off but that's not possible. I also take time off during half term but that sef I have to make up with flexi( and I get 28 days holidays plus bank holidays every year embarassed)

I am however still researching age suitable holiday play schemes so they don't get bored. My child minder is very versatile though she takes them out to museums, fun days, the library, day centre even the cinema as she gets discounts due to the nature of her job. She is not cheap but we don't mind cos we cant place a premium on the peace of mind I will have at work when they are with her.

When they are a bit older, they will go to this camps where they do outdoorsy stuff and different recreational/educational activities eg baking, cookery classes, just learn something new rather than just be bored out of their minds or just playing for the whole six weeks.

You can use a registered child minder or nanny.

Since you have someone you use already you can try her as she is already used to them. Settling kids in with people they are not used to is another stress on its own.
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 25, 2015
babygirlfl:

My dear, I have been using one nanny since my cutie turned a year after my maternity leave as I had to go back to both work and school. You just have to hope for the best. I have been very lucky because I have only used one nanny for a long time without any problem.
Never knew you were married with (a) kid(s)... shocked

You don't live in Nigeria, shey?
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by bukatyne(f): 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
FrancisTony:

You wan marwi her? tongue grin
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 25, 2015
bukatyne:

You wan marwi her? tongue grin
No grin
She's definitely older, I know for sure. wink
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by bukatyne(f): 1:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
FrancisTony:

No grin
She's definitely older, I know for sure. wink

Book for her daughter through moi.... cheesy
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
bukatyne:

Book for her daughter through moi.... cheesy
I'm not a paedophile o. lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by bukatyne(f): 2:06pm On Jun 25, 2015
FrancisTony:

I'm not a paedophile o. lipsrsealed

cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by babygirlfl: 4:58pm On Jun 25, 2015
FrancisTony:

Lol. Yes I am married and a mother and live in the UK. I try to leave my family out of nairaland as you know what these people can be like. In nairaland however, a week never goes by without someone telling me that I am not married. You won't see me argue this as it does not make sense.

Bukatyne, I have to join that your agency and make money through bookings and most importantly getting girls married to good men like francistony.

1 Like

Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
babygirlfl:

Lol. Yes I am married and a mother and live in the UK. I try to leave my family out of nairaland as you know what these people can be like. In nairaland however, a week never goes by without someone telling me that I am not married. You won't see me argue this as it does not make sense.
I noticed this.
I wanted clarify when I saw a thread you opened asking for more married men in this section.

babygirlfl:
Bukatyne, I have to join that your agency and make money through bookings and most importantly getting girls married to good men like francistony.

I'm honoured. cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by bukatyne(f): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
babygirlfl:

Lols!

Na real money we will make wink

1 Like

Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Ewuro4: 6:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
fem29:

My dear na nanny oh and I claim it on my annual income tax. And hubby helps a lot since we both have flexible schedule. However 4year olds are still pretty young for day camps Fem, I have one too so I know.They still need naps and breaks from that long stretch day camp activities. I remembered I tried day camp with my second daughter at that age and I was called in @11am at work to come get her.

Also, be smart about your work schedule for starters , part time would be your best bet so you don't end up paying half of your wage for childcare. Doesn't make sense.

Another option and the best so far, is to bring your mom/MIL (or another trusted relative) over for the whole school year (10months) and work full time and take all summer off to spend quality time with them, so your mom willtake a break too, you guys are even lucky Naija's a stone throw from there.
N.B .. You can only do the above with older folks.
I'm shipping mine to their grandparents after summer trainning before family Vaca. Miolewaparami.

I'm excited you're about to get your groove back, You go girl! kiss

2 Likes

Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Youngpo413: 12:25pm On Jul 02, 2015
fem29:

4 year old twins
wow, I can imagine how cute they are,I so much love twins,may God bless and protect your family.
Re: What Do Working Parents Do With Thier Kids During Summer Hols by Miami11: 3:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
I imported an elderly relative to live with me, she became an angel in disguise

I hated taking my kids to different sitters in the wee hours of the morning and in cold weather, and they usually came home with some cold or scratches,

I have a peace of mind now, I can even go do my hair or even hit a gym, things that I would never do before.

I however work part time so I have time to take my relative and kids to places of fun.

(1) (Reply)

This Is My Dilemma Help Me Choose. / Pastor E. A. Adeboye Takes A Break With His "Sugar Baby" / See What Happened To The Woman That Gave Birth To 11 Baby girls At Once

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.