Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds (1307 Views)

Men Pay Extra Money To Have Sex With Prostitutes In Abuja Without Condoms - FACA / 5 Incurable STDS & How To Stay Healthy If You Have One / New Condom Changes Color When Exposed To Stds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Oliandre(m): 11:24am On Jun 26, 2015
A group of teenagers competing in the UK’s TeenTech Awards have created a condom that glows in the presence of sexually transmitted infections, or STIs. The condom also changes colour depending on the infection, informing you of any red-alert situations in your pants.
long story

STI testing is kind of like going to the MOT garage: everyone has to from time to time, no one really wants to. This presents a conundrum — no one wants a STI, but no one wants to get tested for them, either, so we elect to use condoms to mitigate the risks of contracting one. But what if the condom itself could also perform the testing function? That’s the idea behind the S.T.EYE, a condom developed by teenagers that glows when exposed to STIs.

Using a chemical on the surface that reacts to the bacteria and viruses associated with certain STIs, the condoms take on a fluorescent glow when it comes into contact with disease. The colour also changes depending on the infection: It glows yellow for herpes, green for chlamydia, blue for syphilis and purple for HPV.

“We wanted to create something that makes detecting harmful STIs safer than ever before, so that people can take immediate action in the privacy of their own homes without the invasive procedures at the doctors,” 14-year-old Daanyaal Ali, one of the S.T.EYE’s creators, told The Daily Mail. The condom was the winning entry in the health category of the TeenTech Awards, a competition that challenges teenagers to develop tech that makes life “better, simpler or easier.”

The condoms are kind of a double-edged sword. In theory, anything that makes sexually active people more aware of their risk of spreading or contracting an STI is a positive development. And, as the creators indicated, not only do users not have to rely on annual exams to learn if they’re healthy, but they don’t have to endure the embarrassment of going to the doctor when they have something wrong down there. Not immediately, at least — after all, the condom can’t treat or even professionally diagnose an STI.

On the other hand, the idea of implementing this in the real world is insane. Imagine the horror on both of your faces when you withdraw your johnson and it’s glowing bright blue - what do you say in that situation? Most importantly, it puts all of the onus and embarrassment on the woman, because the STI-detection only works on the condom’s outer surface.

More than anything, does anyone actually need this? Sure, nothing is completely fail-safe and it would behoove anyone to get tested after sleeping with a partner with a known STI, condom or not. But, isn’t that what regular old condoms are for? Instead of a condom that acts like Bilbo Baggins’ glowing sword in the presence of pathogens, maybe we instead focus on teaching people how to properly use protection and get tested regularly.

http://uk.askmen.com/news/sports/teenagers-create-condoms-that-glow-when-exposed-to-stis.html
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by DontQUOTEme: 11:25am On Jun 26, 2015
hmmm
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by hefty4real(m): 11:34am On Jun 26, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
op U can lie shocked
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Nokiae5: 11:35am On Jun 26, 2015
Don't worry.nigerians over there planning to create a program grin shocked where the world will detect evil things coming.due respect to master JESUS[color=#006600][/color] [url][/url]
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 11:55am On Jun 26, 2015
End Time Teens grin grin grin

cc: MizMyColi
5minsmadness
Timbuktou
Kimoni
cougar
Ewuro4
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

cc: MizMyColi
5minsmadness
Timbuktou
Kimoni
cougar
Ewuro4

This is unacceptable.
It's anti-feminine.
Most importantly, it puts all of the onus and embarrassment on the woman, because the STI-detection only works on the condom’s outer surface.
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Kimoni: 12:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

On the other hand, the idea of implementing this in the real world is insane. Imagine the horror on both of your faces when you withdraw your johnson and it’s glowing bright blue - what do you say in that situation? Most importantly, it puts all of the onus and embarrassment on the woman, because the STI-detection only works on the condom’s outer surface .

A good thing by all standards...I wish they were naija youths.

However, the bolded shows their invention is still a work in progress, the invention needs to tell correctly who is harbouring the disease, they have to make it work on the outer and "inner" surfaces of humans, whatever that means lipsrsealed
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

This is unacceptable.
It's anti-feminine.

Well...that's a way to look at it

The man is a more efficient vector of stis than women

Women need something similar to protect them

Maybe they should apply it on female condoms

Cc: kimoni
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 12:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

Well...that's a way to look at it

The man is a more efficient vector of stis than women

Women need something similar to protect them

Maybe they should apply it on female condoms

Cc: kimoni

Exactly.

It should be both ways.
Else, if this goes rival, it would just be another avenue to demonized and undermine the female folk.
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 12:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

Exactly.

It should be both ways.
Else, if this goes rival, it would just be another avenue to demonized and undermine the female folk.

look at the positive side before you look at with it gender bias tongue

it reduces the spread by curbing sex with one infected person at the least
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

look at the positive side before you look at with it gender bias tongue

it reduces the spread by curbing sex with one infected person at the least

Of course it does.
But looking at the long term effect and the possibility of the bad outweighing the good....

I'm just shaking my headsmiley
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 1:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

Of course it does.
But looking at the long term effect and the possibility of the bad outweighing the good....

I'm just shaking my headsmiley

So FOCUS on the good tongue grin
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 1:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

So FOCUS on the good tongue grin

Loool
You!cheesy
cheesy

Defend the women folk for once.
Haba.

Seriously, I'm looking at 3,4 years from now, if an innovation like that gains strong foothold on our soil...
Again, smhsmiley
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 2:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

Loool
You!cheesy
cheesy

Defend the women folk for once.
Haba.

Seriously, I'm looking at 3,4 years from now, if an innovation like that gains strong foothold on our soil...
Again, smhsmiley

I do defend you guys na
There is still a huge amount of work
It has to be made at a price which is comparable to existing brands
Are the reagents harmful at a specific concentration etc

If its too expensive, it will not catch on
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 2:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

I do defend you guys na
There is still a huge amount of work
It has to be made at a price which is comparable to existing brands
Are the reagents harmful at a specific concentration etc

If its too expensive, it will not catch on

smiley
I've always admired your peculiar out of the box thinking.
cool
Cool suggestion, but methinks it won't be flooded into the market just yet.
I might be wrong though, but they might make the condoms for the elite few.

Africa can kiss such welcome in 5years or more...
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 2:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

smiley
I've always admired your peculiar out of the box thinking.
cool
Cool suggestion, but methinks it won't be flooded into the market just yet.
I might be wrong though, but they might make the condoms for the elite few.

Africa can kiss such welcome in 5years or more...

Elite yes....... basically using the marketing strategy of skimming

But remember this product needs market penetration and more penetration(sic) by people to grow and be profitable

The more penetration the more profits,,,,if it can be made economic..it will take over

Thanks for the kind words.. it means a lot coming from an erudite one such as yourself wink

You've been muted these days,... hope no issue smiley
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by MizMyColi(f): 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
smiley
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 3:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

so I'm mostly on viewing/observation mode.

cool.. take care then
smiley

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
MizMyColi:

Exactly.

It should be both ways.

There's nothing anti-feminine about this. Is an STI a guilty pleasure? If anything, it would make women way more careful about what they allow into their orifices. Not every inconvenience is detrimental grin Take note.

Meanwhile, Pickabeau1, abeg I wan buy like two tonnes of this ish. I know every guy would buy this just to test and see if the babe is a carrier or not and pull it out to do skin-to-skin grin grin. God bless those children, whoever they are. grin
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 7:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
Timbuktou:

There's nothing anti-feminine about this. Is an STI a guilty pleasure? If anything, it would make women way more careful about what they allow into their orifices. Not every inconvenience is detrimental grin Take note.

Meanwhile, Pickabeau1, abeg I wan buy like two tonnes of this ish. I know every guy would buy this just to test and see if the babe is a carrier or not and pull it out to do skin-to-skin grin grin. God bless those children, whoever they are. grin

hahaha.....

The only issue here is if the guy is a carrier.
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

hahaha.....

The only issue here is if the guy is a carrier.

What stops their female peers/colleagues from making a condom that detects STIs the moment pre-cum touches the it? Women playing victim as their ancestors have done since 20 BC. grin
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 8:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
Timbuktou:

What stops their female peers/colleagues from making a condom that detects STIs the moment pre-cum touches the it? Women playing victim as their ancestors have done since 20 BC. grin

Dont mind them

Some dudes created a nail polish that detects the common ingredient in spiked drinks which is a precursor for date raape
https://www.nairaland.com/2072558/date-rape-drug-indicator

I wonder why it took so long for women to do something to protect themselves

Victimhood is their game since the time of Eve (1 million BC) grin
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
pickabeau1:

Dont mind them

Some dudes created a nail polish that detects the common ingredient in spiked drinks which is a precursor for date raape
https://www.nairaland.com/2072558/date-rape-drug-indicator

I wonder why it took so long for women to do something to protect themselves

Victimhood is their game since the time of Eve (1 million BC) grin

Women=whingeing. Go figure. undecided
Re: Teenagers Create Condoms That Glow When Exposed To Stds by pickabeau1: 10:06pm On Jun 26, 2015
Timbuktou:

Women=whingeing. Go figure. undecided

Lol

(1) (Reply)

Relaxing,sweet,massage,banana,lagos,victoria,island,ikoyi,ikeja,mainland, / Ultimate Fitness Plan (recover From Flaby Body, Saging Tommy, Shed Excess Weight / What A Nurse Working In Abuja Give To People Coming For Family Planning....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.