Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,408 members, 7,826,579 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Anti-homosexuality =/= Homophobia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Anti-homosexuality =/= Homophobia (585 Views)

Kano Anti-corruption Agency Halts Probe On Emir Sanusi / See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe / ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anti-homosexuality =/= Homophobia by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 26, 2015
And the vicious cycle keeps going on and on. It never ends. Hate breeds hate. The whites hated the blacks, now the blacks can hardly stand the whites. The men oppressed the women for centuries, now the women are beginning to fight back. The church stood against homosexuality and killed them off or that is what they want us to believe, because now the gay community hates the church.

You know the reason why I don’t ever take homosexuals seriously? It is because they do the exact same thing they accuse everyone else of doing. There are times I have had conversations with liberals which ended in me getting the insults of my life. Usually, they go like this;

(A topic on homosexuality is raised)

Me: I feel being gay is wrong.

Liberal: Why would you say that? You are just being close minded! It has been scientifically proven that being gay is quite natural.

Me: I don’t believe everything science tells me. For example, I refuse to accept the notion that I was once an ape or that the universe came to be because of a big bang.

Liberal: Well, your religion says something came from nothing.

Me: I didn’t mention anything about religion. I was just stating an opinion. Besides, I have my right to religion. I can believe whatever I choose to believe.

Liberal: (insert rant about how my opinion is pathetic, how I am a bigot stuck in the stone-age, and how I’m a hypocrite because my religion is supposed to teach me how to love and not hate) [Note that this is coming from someone who has probably never opened a Bible before. Suddenly, he/she knows about my religion more than I do. It’s alright]

Me: (Confused and lost) Where is all that coming from? Where did I state that I hated homosexuals?

Liberal: You said being gay is wrong…..

Me: How does that translate to me hating homosexuals?

Liberal: Who are you to tell anyone that how they choose to live their lives is wrong? Your religion says judge not! (another eye-roll from me)

Me: Okay, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that I’m not allowed to have an opinion. What happened to freedom of speech?

Liberal: Keep your opinion to yourself if it is going to hurt others (insert another rant about racism and how it correlates to anti-gay sentiments)

Me: Wait a minute. Being discriminated for being black is a whole different game from being discriminated for being gay.

Liberal: It is the same thing. Blacks and homosexuals are born the way they are and so shouldn’t be discriminated for who they are.

Me: (getting frustrated) Remember we are not on the same page on homosexuality being natural yet. Plus, if I see a black guy, I’m immediately able to tell that he is black and my reaction to him depends on whether I’m a racist or not. However, unless you tell me you are gay, I’m going to treat you like everybody else. At least, you guys don’t like being stereotyped to behave in a certain way. So please dear, don’t compare being gay to being black. You chose to be gay, I didn’t send you message.

Liberal: Being gay is not a choice you slowpoke!

Me: But I see a lot of homosexuals who have had kids the natural way. How is that possible?

Liberal: They discovered their sexuality and eventually came out.

Me: I thought you said being gay is natural……

Liberal: Bleep you, you homophobic piece of shit! (…and the insults keep coming)

Okay, I eventually call the person out on the insults being heaped on me. I ask how I’m supposed to love them if they hate me so much. The person retorts that I started hating first. I try to explain that me not supporting homosexuality does not equate to me hating or me being homophobic. I guess it is safe to say that all that usually fall on deaf ears.

Now this brings me to the concept of homophobia. I always try to find out the meaning and context in which a name is used before I attach myself to it. For example, before I started calling myself a feminist, I actually searched for the real meaning because there was so much negativity attached to it. I discovered that just like many other things, people just love to stereotype feminists, surprisingly even women too. They ignore all the positive achievements such as women having access to education, and focus on the negative ones such as some few bad eggs wanting to walk the street stark naked (like they themselves would be comfortable seeing a naked man).

Anyway, I researched the concept of homophobia and I found this on Wikipedia;

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs.

Hence I used this description to analyze myself.

Antipathy – Am I unsympathetic to the plight of homosexuals? No, in fact I feel sorry for them most of the time. Don’t ask me why.

Contempt – Am I angry or disgusted by their existence? As long as you don’t try to force your beliefs on me (and my future kids), I’m indifferent most of the time.

Prejudice – I’m pretty sure I’m not ignorant about the gay community. I mean, here is me on the internet, and I attended F.G.G.C. Akure, duh!

Aversion – I can keep, in fact I have gay friends. However, if you invite me to a gay party, you are on your own.

Hatred – Definitely not. What you do with yourself does not reduce the price of garri in the market. Why would I waste my energy hating? Abeg, carbohydrate is precious. People are starving around the world you know, people with actual problems and not first-world problems.

Fear – Lol, no. I mean, I scaled through Mount Zion’s Agbaranla (The Ultimate Power) and I’m still alive. Go figure.

Religious beliefs – Yes & No. Even without my religious beliefs, I still believe homosexuality is wrong. It’s the same way I feel about bestiality, rape, and all other irrational practices, religion or no religion.

Hence, I have come to the conclusion that the gay community always trying to label everyone that is anti-homosexuality as homophobic is just plain pathetic. They are only begging to be hated on. My advice for you guys is to ignore them. In fact today, I read on an article that the US Supreme Court just passed a bill allowing gay marriage in all US States. The indifferent me commented – “K, next news please”. Trust one of my gay netizens who didn’t fail to reply me and asked if I was angry, being all sarcastic lol. That was when I realized that these guys depend on the attention to thrive. I calmly replied that I had other things to worry about like what to eat for dinner. I’m sure he/she was expecting more reaction from me.

So to my gay brothers and sisters, I’m not against you having rights and freedom just like everyone else. However, don’t expect me to carry a placard saying “I support homosexuality” with you. And if that makes you feel that I am homophobic, then so be it. I guess the only way not to be homophobic in your sight is to be pro-homosexuality. Well, you can wait till eternity because I’m not changing my stance anytime soon. You are free to formulate your opinion about me, and I think we can now agree that I can have an opinion too.

Fix them Jesus!

Peace!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How To Become A Nigerian In 15 Easy Steps By Mayo Bayo / Short Story: Tradition Made Me Lose The Love Of My Life / Osun Monarchs Lead Protest Against Poor Power Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.