Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! (24966 Views)

Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries / Union Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Union Bank Pay? / I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Tellnig: 3:11pm On Jun 27, 2015
Dindondin:
br

As in chief, i laugh con wan dey cry after i read this your signature...... grin

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by kingvictorking(m): 3:11pm On Jun 27, 2015
Its really a serious issue, they should have asked you to resign, at least you can carry on to another bank with a cleaner record and good reference. Consult a good labour lawyer to help you out, even if it is to withdraw the letter and give u an option to resign in good faith. I feel for you Sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by 2special(m): 3:12pm On Jun 27, 2015
Bros we need ur response!
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:13pm On Jun 27, 2015
So sorry to hear of your losses. This goes to show the importance of ears to the ground where you work. It might not change much but at least you know they are about to drop the fat one on you. Question is do you have the money time and energy to prosecute such a case? Be cause I am sure in the euphoria of signing up for them you would have missed the line that said the conditions under which they can terminate the appointment.

How well you are doing depends on which criteria they choose to terminate with. Nigerian banks are sha "slave" drivers.

Pick yourself up and try again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by SortCode(m): 3:13pm On Jun 27, 2015
Sorry bro, it happens everywhere. No job security in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by ednut1(m): 3:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
union bank is fond of dis. bro move on other better banks are out der

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by chax100(f): 3:18pm On Jun 27, 2015
Could you type out the letter just the way it was sent to you? Then one can deduce what the reason was.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Cyriloha(m): 3:19pm On Jun 27, 2015
[quote author=goke4all post=35196088]I feel your pain. Chaii man down! !!!!
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Teewills(m): 3:22pm On Jun 27, 2015
This is serious! If he had committed an offence that led to this sudden termination of employment, then he must have faced the Disciplinary Committee. If you did not get any query, letter of warning or face the DC, then i must say you've been unjustly cheated.

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by bigtt76(f): 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2015
Sorry dear ...its part of the change we are clamouring for in the country. Just yesterday NNPC board was dissolved without warning and many more going that way too. So try and rise up from the pit, dust up and bounce back strong. All de best man.

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by tellwisdom: 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2015
Guy, your problem now shey na the A.C wey u no go dey collect again or the Suit wey u no go wear again??

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by poppincash: 3:28pm On Jun 27, 2015
scam. this is what this guy posted last year-

Good morning everyone, I need your candid advice. I got a spring admission last week with a scholarship of 15,500. All glory to God.

However, I am on the verge of loosing that admission because my parent doesn't have fat account to show though that scholarship has covered all expenses, tuition, accomodation, and all. If I will need to add to that scholarship it shouldn't be more than 500-1000Cad. I have no rich uncle or aunt who could pose as my sponsor just to get the visa.

My dad,s financial standing as at when we had family meeting after I broke the goodnews was about 200k but he said he should have an inflow of 3M for a year.My dad spoke about loan but we don't know If he would be granted My mum has only 72,000 though with an inflow of about 1million because she is a thrift collector. I just finished helping my mum draft her request for loan letter from cooperative. She requuested a loan of 300k.And personally, I can raise 500k on my own cos I work . My monthly pay is 30k and I save very well

I want all the experts here to come to my rescue. Do I stand a chance at all or I should just forget about this? I am so confused right now about the financial aspect of this. Somebody help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by allanphash7(m): 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2015
Bro move on

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by stepo707: 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2015
Maybe it as someting to do with the school you intend going to in canada.did you inform anyone in the office?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by lomprico(m): 3:30pm On Jun 27, 2015
Sorry for ur loss but I feel like u are not telling us the truth. why will u start a sweating immediately d IT told u ur act is suspended? Only a guilty person will be afraid over a thing like that, U definitely have some skeleton in ur cupboard. Tell us what u did.

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by InvertedHammer: 3:31pm On Jun 27, 2015
/
Either you know the deal or in case you don't, you should contact HR for more explanation.

Unless performance related crime means you performed more than required.

And in Nigeria parlance, over sabi dey kill.

\
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by xeeco: 3:33pm On Jun 27, 2015
I sympathise with you my brother, but let me give you a clue. First and foremost, the economy is in bad shape and many organisations are finding it difficult to keep their staffers on regular pay roll; consequent on this, many organisations, especially the private sectors are downsizing to cut down the overhead cost. Secondly, to make this fly, newly employed like you could easily fall victim of this economic exigency. You were randomly selected and fired, it has nothing to do with your performance. In your employment letter, their is a clause which state that you can be disengaged anytime. I believe you agreed to the terms and conditions of employment by assenting and writing a letter of acceptance; in bitter truth, this is it.
Most importantly, God want to lift you up, as such He has to create situation that will bring you out of this Bank so that you can be blessed with a more befitting lucrative Job. Please see the positive side of this situation and don't make enemy out of anybody. Take your destiny in your hand and move on. God's favour to you!!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Dhotseal(m): 3:33pm On Jun 27, 2015
HungerBAD:
Brother, i greet you and know my write up is that of a man that is a novice about how Nigeria Banking laws works. But what is performance related crime? i searched for it on Google and that too could not give me an answer, related to the Nigerian Banking context.

But the bottom line is that the statement ends with the word CRIME.

People should after getting employments, read the fine prints in their contracts before signing anything. I am sure in your contract somewhere, it was stated that your contract/appointment/confirmation can be terminated at anytime. If you were made a Staff just last month and got fired in a world record time, must mean there is more to the story you are not letting on.

I have a MILLION lines to write here, but before i continue i will appreciate you define the word PERFORMANCE RELATED CRIME in a layman's term, and then we the committee of NAIRALAND ADVISERS can go from there.

Now I can't for the life of me deduce what CRIME has got to do with poor performance at work. I can hazard a guess that almighty Google got confused too when u used crime and job performance in the same sentence.

To the post, there are a long line of reasons an employer can fire a staff on. But, they usually dnt give any reason than " Your service is no longer required. Good luck in your future endevours" bla bla bla...

Op, pls just try and take it in your stride...if it doesn't kill u, it makes u stronger.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2015
Dear epistlegcfr

I have read your story, I am a lawyer and I deal with employment related issues in my practice. I would love to see copies of your termination letter and your contract of employment, it is after seeing these documents that I will volunteer FREE advice on how best to proceed... Cheers...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Caracta(f): 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2015
Hmmm. There is more to this story. I do not believe any reasonable organization would terminate appointments on zero grounds.

I understand few months ago, Union Bank organized a saturday test and interview for workers without prior notice. Many of the workers laughed it off and refused to show up that morning, never did they know it was another form of appraisal. Also recently, workers have been placed on series of ghost appraisals.

OP, i advise you to demand for explanation. Write to your HR and contest the termination. Something must be wrong somewhere. Why you?

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by othenok(f): 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2015
goke4all:
I feel your pain. First contact your HR to find out what happened and get a lawyer to write the Bank.

I work in a bank and I know a good bank won't terminate a performer just like that unless you are not telling us the full story. Do you have a DC case?

I was a victim in 2013, mine was even more painful cos I was paid zit for after spending close to 8 years in the bank.
I was the best in my branch, had an appraisal of 98%.
Dear OP, dust yourself and move on. If I can survive you will too.
Use your marketing skills and contact to sell yourself n future business. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2015
myklangelo:
One thing I know about working for anyone is that your appointment can be terminated anytime. If you read terms of conditions of the bank that you signed when you got your job, you will notice that the bank is legally covered to do whatever they did? I ask.
Just to advise... Thank God for the job lost and positively believe that you have been directed to a better future. Believe that your termination is validation of something new. You have right to feel so bad, but you have right tto know that you are too young to be pushed down.
I thank God for you.
By the way I hate bank job, but I like bankers.

My tutorial for the week is out...Igbo ga-adiririri!

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com
I bet Harvey Specter(Suits) would find a loophole in such contract just good enough to drag d bank to court.

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by iyaaliyah: 3:37pm On Jun 27, 2015
@op, post the exact wordings used in the letter. Then what does your contract of employment say about termination? Post it lets read then from there peeps can offer useful tips.
The law is that he who hires can fire and without any reason. They owe you no explanation but the moment there is a reason fot termination, then the employer has to proove it.

What does your offer letter say as regards termination? As regards notice aand how many month notice? All these will help in proferring solution.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by itoese(m): 3:39pm On Jun 27, 2015
I advice you to take life calmly. Get a lawyer only when you are sure that your severance package is not in line with the industry standard. if not, forget about lawyer as cases filed by employees against employers for unlawful termination of employment hardly succeed in court of law.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by histemple: 3:39pm On Jun 27, 2015
I am a banker with a leading bank in Nigeria and as someone in the HR department, I will suggest few steps still open to you.
Let me start by advising you to discard the suicide contemplation because this is not the end of life and may in fact, be the opening of a better opportunity for you.
There are so many reasons why you could be disengaged spontaneously even if you were the best staff bank wide. Some of these reasons are falsified credentials, Result of background checks etc. Note that confirmation doesn't stop more findings.
In all of these, as a full staff, your immediate supervisor are usually informed secretly. So, I will suggest that you ask either your supervisor or a friend in your HR group. They definitely have a reason with legal protection but you need to know exactly what the reason was.

6 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by iyaaliyah: 3:39pm On Jun 27, 2015
Sadly, any employer can terminate appointment without any ground. It is when you give a ground that yu have to prove the grounds. Its unfornate tho but thats it.

Caracta:
Hmmm. There is more to this story. I do not believe any reasonable organization would terminate appointments on zero grounds.

I understand few months ago, Union Bank organized a saturday test and interview for workers without prior notice. Many of the workers laughed it off and refused to show up that morning, never did they know it was another form of appraisal. Also recently, workers have been placed on series of ghost appraisals.

OP, i advise you to demand for explanation. Write to your HR and contest the termination. Something must be wrong somewhere. Why you?
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by afrika(f): 3:40pm On Jun 27, 2015
I feel there should be a fixed amount upon confirmation when appointments re terminated. A union should be formed. And no bank can ever take ur strength, make profits and dump u as a garage.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by criminologist(m): 3:41pm On Jun 27, 2015
hey knowing ur right and fighting for ur right is not steping on anybody toe, my brother take them to court,look for an expirience SAN and explain ur plight to him ,he know what to do.for more advice imail me on-lawrenceekomenmen@gmail.com,,,,,,,,,from a criminologist.
Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Kx: 3:42pm On Jun 27, 2015
Seen lots of comments on the employer having right to do whatever at any time.

That is absolutely incorrect.

Whether it is Union Bank or Igboeze Microfin,the signe employer employee contract and T and C have it that either party can only terminate d contract with at least 2 weeks notice or payment in lieu of that.

So long as no one have d time and resources to seek legal redress and make d banks pay heavily for this nonsense, it will just continue nonstop.

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Dindondin(m): 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
Tellnig:

As in chief, i laugh con wan dey cry after i read this your signature...... grin
na so o!
Na dem turn me to Dindondin

1 Like

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by onatisi(m): 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
poppincash:
scam. this is what this guy posted last year-

Good morning everyone, I need your candid advice. I got a spring admission last week with a scholarship of 15,500. All glory to God.

However, I am on the verge of loosing that admission because my parent doesn't have fat account to show though that scholarship has covered all expenses, tuition, accomodation, and all. If I will need to add to that scholarship it shouldn't be more than 500-1000Cad. I have no rich uncle or aunt who could pose as my sponsor just to get the visa.

My dad,s financial standing as at when we had family meeting after I broke the goodnews was about 200k but he said he should have an inflow of 3M for a year.My dad spoke about loan but we don't know If he would be granted My mum has only 72,000 though with an inflow of about 1million because she is a thrift collector. I just finished helping my mum draft her request for loan letter from cooperative. She requuested a loan of 300k.And personally, I can raise 500k on my own cos I work . My monthly pay is 30k and I save very well

I want all the experts here to come to my rescue. Do I stand a chance at all or I should just forget about this? I am so confused right now about the financial aspect of this. Somebody help
u mean the op wrote this last year? Maybe it was before he got a job .just thinking

2 Likes

Re: Help Union Bank Unjustly Terminated My Appointment! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
bigtt76:
Sorry dear ...its part of the change we are clamouring for in the country. Just yesterday NNPC board was dissolved without warning and many more going that way too. So try and rise up from the pit, dust up and bounce back strong. All de best man.

Why would you relate his termination to NNPC board dissolutionundecided

@OP, take heart. The best thing for you is to start searching for another, you seem to have allnwhat it all what it takes to get another good job and please when you do, sue their ass!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

National Association Of Unemployed Graduates (NAUG)To hold 1st Meeting In Lagos / 5 Top Soft Skills Employers Look Out For Today. / Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.