Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized (2444 Views)

Yorubas Are Good / The Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo- Study / "Yorubas Are The Economic Backbone Of Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2015
The most effective way to obliterate the culture of a people is to stop them from bearing their indigenous names. This strategy is playing out among the Yoruba Muslims where most of them bear Arabic names as opposed to their indigenous names.

Some even mistake Arabic names for Yoruba names. Some even enroll their children in schools with completely Arabic names where the father bears an Arabic name and the child bears an Arabic name and there is no Yoruba identity in the name of the child.

During the naming, they do give Yoruba names to their children but they tend to push those names to the background in the name of religion.

As it concerns the Christians, they do give biblical names to their children but surprisingly, they tend to do the opposite of the Muslim Yorubas by pushing the biblical names to the background and making the Yoruba names pronounced.

So, why are Yoruba Muslims allowing their cultures to go into extinction in the name of religion by not bearing Yoruba names?

Here is the list of some of the names born by Yoruba Muslims which are totally Arabic:

SAIDI
SUKURA
WASIU
MOSHUDI
SUDEZ
KAZEEM
RASAKI
BASHIRU
SHARAFA
RASHIDI
LAWANI
KUBURAT
IDIAT
IBRAHIM
NAKIBAT
ROKIBAT
AMINAT
AMUDA
SUWEBA
YUSUF (JOSEPH - JEWISH)
MUSA (MOSES - JEWISH)
SIKIRU
SIKIRA
LAMIDI
SALAMI
RAUFU
RAFIU
RAIMI
RAMON
SAMSON
BASIRA
KAMORU
KAMOLI
KUDIRAT
AHMED
AZEEZAT
AKEEM
MODINAT

The list is endless.

Yorubas, be proud of whom you are; bear your indigenous names. Don't be slaves to the Arabs in the name of religion.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2015
and more future boko harams are being created.
tsa pity,,no brains!
Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by absoluteSuccess: 7:47pm On Jun 27, 2015
Good one, before i do answer muslim name, but now my name is ladi, from Oladipo. My Yoruba name please me cos it tells me of my source.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Funjosh(m): 5:56am On Jun 28, 2015
undecided
Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Lushore1: 11:15am On Jun 28, 2015
I think its other way around in some degree, yoruba in general usually yorubanised foreign name, for example aisha became aishatu and i never come accross any arab that named there kids wasiu, lamidi or kudirat. However religion is at the core of human existence so a yoruba christian can bear john or simon and a yoruba muslim can also bear Ali or ibrahim as long their surname is not religion/foreign inclined such as jonathan,bonyface, goodluck, fynecountry, george and so on..

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
[quote author=Lushore1 post=35239565]I think its other way around in some degree, yoruba in general usually yorubanised foreign name, for example aisha became aishatu and i never come accross any arab that named there kids wasiu, lamidi or kudirat. However religion is at the core of human existence so a yoruba christian can bear john or simon and a yoruba muslim can also bear Ali or ibrahim as long their surname is not religion/foreign inclined such as jonathan,bonyface,

Why yorubanizing arabic names when you can bear all these beautiful names:

OLAWALE
AYINLA
ADISA
OLAJIDE
AJIBADE
MOJISOLA
ADUKE
BUKOLA ETC

Moreover, does a name determine how religious one is?

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Lushore1: 7:08pm On Jun 28, 2015
[quote author=walexy30 post=35249157][/quote]

Religion have great influence on people in general and i still remember many christians changing their eshugbemi, ogunfunmi, ifaseun into oluwaseun e.t.c, so its not just arabic things.

Im not saying people should not give their children yoruba firstname but its not a big deal if anyone want to give their children religion inclined names either especially when all these foreign/religion name have already been yorubanised in one way or the other.
Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by jantavanta(m): 11:11pm On Jul 04, 2015
Names are the means by which Nigerians, are being stripped of their dynamics & potentials of development.
Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 11, 2015
jantavanta:
Names are the means by which Nigerians, are being stripped of their dynamics & potentials of development.

Correct, Japanese and Chinese bear their names; see how things are looking up for them.

Even South Koreans who have enbraced christianity still bear their local names and they are developing very fast.

2 Likes

Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by Adisa89(m): 2:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
Le Olorun ko jẹ ki wa fi nyapa wa ọna.
Amin
Re: How Yorubas Are Being Gradually Arabized by zimoni(f): 9:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Interesting topic.

Oga Lalasticlala please do the needful so more people could comment. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Oso Owo Olojo Merindinlogun / Fathouse? Explain What This Means / The Meaning Of This:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.