Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem (2783 Views)

These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. / Golf 4 Automatic Transmission Problem Please Help / Honda Accord (evil Spirit) VS Toyota Avalon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 5:50pm On Jun 27, 2015
Please house, kindly help me out with my Toyota Avalon 98 model.
I just observed this morning that when I am pressing the pedal (accelerating), the pointer on the tachometer keeps ascending till it gets to 7 and eventually the red zone while the speedometer reading does not exceed 40-50km/hr.
and I also noticed that the gears were not selecting as it works only with a single gear.
The reverse gear. neutral. d2 are all working
ng fine and the car is actually moving around, but with stress.
I consulted my mechanic but he said its the transmission gear that has gone completely bad. I don't seem to trust him anyway cos he is a confirmed Kazeem.
pls my people, what might be wrong with my car? do I really need to change the transmission?
tanx for ur anticipated responses. I am really worried.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2015
ohem:
I just observed this morning that when I am pressing the pedal (accelerating), the pointer on the tachometer keeps ascending till it gets to 7 and eventually the red zone while the speedometer reading does not exceed 40-50km/hr.
and I also noticed that the gears were not selecting as it works only with a single gear.
I consulted my mechanic but he said its the transmission gear that has gone completely bad. I don't seem to trust him anyway cos he is a confirmed Kazeem.
pls my people, what might be wrong with my car? do I really need to change the transmission?

Your kazeem mechanic maybe correct or right. But run a diagnosis on your, that would help
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 7:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
Moving the car around now looks scary sef. Dont want another thing to be affected.
Please are my car symptoms signs of failed tranny?
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
ohem:
Moving the car around now looks scary sef. Dont want another thing to be affected.
Please are my car symptoms signs of failed tranny?

Sounds like a failed tranny from your description. Run a scan on your computer box to pull out fault codes
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by omicron(m): 2:22am On Jun 28, 2015
ohem:
Run a scan for any codes. A bad throttle position sensor can cause similar symptom.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by chukel(m): 7:43am On Jun 28, 2015
did you have transmission issues before now? if no, then dont allow anybody tamper with your transmission. rats may have chopped off the wire to the vehicle speed sensor. stop driving that car and scan it. you may likely get a speed sensor code.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 7:49am On Jun 28, 2015
@ mayor2013 and omicron : Thank you so much.

The car actually jerked in motion for some time before being stuck in a particular gear.
I would go for the scan tomorrow and post the codes here on this forum for analysis. I appreciate you all
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 7:58am On Jun 28, 2015
@ chuke : Yea, i noticed some debris in the car engine like 4days ago.. An obvious rat intrusion symptom but I did not notice any wire cut.
Tanx. Would go for the scan
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2015
Am running a free scan if you in lagos contact 08165520837 or 08156087872
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 4:19am On Jun 29, 2015
@ mayor 2013: oh tanx. Am not in lagos or ph anyway. But i would appreciate ur involvement in interpreting the codes when i get them shortly.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by chukel(m): 9:20am On Jun 29, 2015
ohem:
@ mayor 2013: oh tanx. Am not in lagos or ph anyway. But i would appreciate ur involvement in interpreting the codes when i get them shortly.
pm me if u want a private scanner. U actually need one.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by ohem(m): 5:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
@ chukel: let me have ur contact so that we can discuss how i can purchase a scanner from you..

@ house: Something very funny happened this morning when i picked the car to locate the nearest diagnistic center. I was actually moving slowly to reduce my risk but I just noticed that the tachometer was no longer reving upwards anylonger. It was terminating/returning from like that position 3.
I didnt believe my observation, and so I decided to move fast. The gear selection was very normal and the speedometer reading became correct too.
I have just completed a 200kilometer journey this evening and I didnt experience that problem throughout.
I would still do the scanning anyway, but at least am back on the road. All i can say I did was that I removed the battery for some time didnt drive the car for the whole of yesterday. Maybe the computer now reset itself, i dont know.
I thank everyone for your concern and contributions.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by Osama10(m): 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2015
chukel:
pm me if u want a private scanner. U actually need one.

Dropped the car at his workshop last week, original problems was the catalytic converter and changing of rusted transmission/power steering hoses.But after the scan we found some codes with regard to the solenoid in the transmission.

So when he gets the main cause of the problems we would kick it off from there.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by chukel(m): 8:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
Osama10:

Dropped the car at his workshop last week, original problems was the catalytic converter and changing of rusted transmission/power steering hoses.But after the scan we found some codes with regard to the solenoid in the transmission.

So when he gets the main cause of the problems we would kick it off from there.
Ok. I will keep in touch to know whether or not to proceed with him. Thanks
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by Osama10(m): 6:02am On Jun 30, 2015
chukel:
Ok. I will keep in touch to know whether or not to proceed with him. Thanks

You're welcome. cool
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by chukel(m): 3:40pm On Jul 03, 2015
Osama10:

You're welcome. cool
Chief, what's the progress on your ride?
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by Osama10(m): 3:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
chukel:
Chief, what's the progress on your ride?

Not in town now, I would update this coming week.
Re: Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem by chukel(m): 3:55pm On Jul 24, 2015
Osama10:

Not in town now, I would update this coming week.
any update, chief

(1) (Reply)

Cars Dealers & Buyers Forum / Need A Good Acura MDX Mechanic In Lagos Metropolitan Area / Jaguar S-type 2002

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.