Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Killer Robots Are Coming Next: Real-life Terminators - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Killer Robots Are Coming Next: Real-life Terminators (625 Views)

Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) / Ishola Babatunde Isaac Builds Robots At Home (photos) / Sex Robots Are Being Made To Replace Men By 2025 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Killer Robots Are Coming Next: Real-life Terminators by peteregwu(m): 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2015
Killer robots are coming next: The next military-industrial complex will involve real-life Terminators

The idea to propose a presidential order limiting the development of lethal autonomous robots (killer robots) popped into my mind as if someone had placed it there. The date was February 18, 2012, and I was waiting for a connecting flight home in the U.S. Airways departure terminal at Reagan Airport. My gaze traveled along the panoramic view across the tarmac where the Capitol Dome and the Washington Monument rose high above the tree line along the Potomac River. And suddenly, there it was, an idea I felt compelled to act upon. In the following days, I wrote up and began circulating a proposal for a presidential order, declaring that the U.S. considers autonomous weapons capable of initiating lethal force to be in violation of the Laws of Armed Conflict (LOAC).
For decades, Hollywood has supplied us with plenty of reasons to be frightened about the roboticization of warfare. But now that drones and autonomous antimissile defense systems have been deployed, and many other forms of robotic weaponry are under development, the inflection point where it must be decided whether to go down this road has arrived.

For many military planners, the answer is straightforward. Unmanned drones were particularly successful for the U.S. in killing leaders of al-Qaeda hidden in remote locations of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Some analysts believe unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) were the only game in town, the only tool the U.S. and its allies had to successfully combat guerrilla fighters. Furthermore, drones killed a good number of al-Qaeda leaders without jeopardizing the lives of soldiers. Another key advantage: reducing the loss of civilian lives through the greater precision that can be achieved with UAVs in comparison to more traditional missile attacks. The successful use of drones in warfare has been accompanied by the refrain that we must build more advanced robot weapons before “they” do.
Roboticizing aspects of warfare gained steam in the U.S. during the administrations of George W. Bush and Barack Obama. As country after country follows the U.S. military’s lead and builds their own force of UAVs, it is clear that robot fighters are here to stay. This represents a shift in the way future wars will be fought, comparable to the introduction of the cross-bow, the Gatling gun, aircraft, and nuclear weapons.
What remains undecided is whether robotic war machines will become fully autonomous. Will they pick their own targets and pull the trigger without the approval of a human? Will there be an arms race in robotic weaponry or will limits be set on the kinds of weapons that can be deployed? If limits are not set, eventually the natural escalation of robotic killing machines could easily progress to a point where robust human control over the conduct of warfare is lost.
Click below to read more......

http://pegikrol..nl/2015/06/killer-robots-are-coming-next-next.html?m=1
Re: Killer Robots Are Coming Next: Real-life Terminators by Dekatron(m): 7:53am On Jun 30, 2015
The thought of Robotic fighters make me happy!!

I see soldiers that won't get tired. I see soldiers that wouldn't eat to take out high profile enemies. I feel ecstatic to see this!!

I would actually love to be a Military Roboticist
Re: Killer Robots Are Coming Next: Real-life Terminators by Blakjewelry(m): 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2015
Robots are not the problem but future AI is. It can remotely control military asset against man if it decided to go against man. The funniest part is they build their own soldiers if they want

(1) (Reply)

Review: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 / End Of The World- 5 Ways The Earth Could End Today / Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.