Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! (625 Views)

Basic Concepts Of Quantum Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! by Electgineer99: 6:21pm On Jun 16, 2016
Please how can I identify an element given only the four quantum numbers [n, l, ml and ms]. I have read many article on it, but, I don't understand it.
johnydon22, dekatron, teempakguy.
Re: Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! by Electgineer99: 6:27pm On Jun 16, 2016
An atom has a core and outside the core an electron occupies an orbital for which the principal quantum number n=4, l=0, m=0 and s=+½ or -½. The atom is likely to be....
A. boron B. sodium C. potassium D. fluorine
That is the question that spurred me to reread quantum numbers. From last year OAU PUTME.
Re: Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! by Electgineer99: 6:29pm On Jun 16, 2016
Please johnydon22, if you can help me with simpler language so that I will be able to answer another similar question.
Re: Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! by johnydon22(m): 10:12pm On Jun 16, 2016
Electgineer99:
Please johnydon22, if you can help me with simpler language so that I will be able to answer another similar question.

It is very complex chemistry/physics that i too don't grasps too well..

The model of a three dimensional space for electron allows electron a three dimensional space which demands three co-ordinates.

n, i, m

n is the principal quantum number that describes the size of the orbital. . n=4 is bigger than n=3 and thus goes.

i[/b] is the angular quantum number that describes the shape of the orbital.. an orbital which the value i= 0 is spherical, i= 1 has a polar shape (two ends pointing at the opposite directions) i=2 has a clover shape (4 ends pointing at opposite directions) and so it goes on and takes on more complex shapes as the angular quantum number increases.

[i]m
the magnetic quantum number that describes the orientation of a particular orbital in space.

I can't really figure out a simple way to break this down because it's just too complex...

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch6/quantum.html

this can help better than i ever can...
Re: Quantum Numbers; Need Help!!! by johnydon22(m): 10:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
Electgineer99:
An atom has a core and outside the core an electron occupies an orbital for which the principal quantum number n=4, l=0, m=0 and s=+½ or -½. The atom is likely to be....
A. boron B. sodium C. potassium D. fluorine
That is the question that spurred me to reread quantum numbers. From last year OAU PUTME.

most likely .. C is the answer..

I suggest a visual method of learning here, search for quantum numbers on youtube, the illustrations and visual effects will make it easier to understand

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

9 Amazing Google Features Most People Don’t Know About / Parallel Space – Multiple Accounts: Multiple Accounts, Online Simultaneously / Shopping On The Gearbest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.