Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! (4547 Views)

5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / How To Ace Job Interviews Without Stress / How To Dress When Attending A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 9:10am On Jun 30, 2015
I can't even count how many tests and interviews I've sat for since dis year. Some I know I didn't do well, some I'm not very sure if I did well, some I'm quite sure I did well.

But they all end with the same story. I've received some regret mails. But majority of them are still hanging with no response from employers. I have about 5 outstanding interview results out of which one assured dat I've been taken and will resume soon, but dis is over 5 months now.

I'd like people to share their experiences and also proffer solutions to this interview palaver, cos am getting tired. Those who have passed thru this phase shud also share some word of advise to encourage others.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 30, 2015
mekcheun:
try to be an employer of labour

Gerrarahere... angry angry.

Op there may be something you probably are not doing right.
I will mention a few experts who can respond to your query with conviction. Some test taking legends, others interview legends. grin

Faith2ogesco
Olutola88
MarvellousGod
Tolutweety
cc150615
Emmaville
Jarus
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by dancruz(m): 9:52am On Jun 30, 2015
@ Op....
In life, you win some and loose some.... Maybe u havn't won the right one for you just yet. Its not always a problem of the candidates, so many times, d dirts in recruitment process makes a candidate feel less worthy, but in actual sense, backyard politics has been played.
For Some, management issues u probably ain't aware of delays calls. I have had an experience where after medicals, I was kept waiting for almost 2yrs, but got called eventually. Can't even begin to mention the other recruitment exercises I have been successful and still waiting to hear from HR.
So, my dear!!! Never u looked down upon urself as if u havnt done well....yes, I knw there are always rooms for improvement, but so many times, d real prob is from the politicized organizers!! But then.....Keep pushing, something good will get to u soon!! Cheers!!

4 Likes

Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by stepo707: 9:54am On Jun 30, 2015
HenryThegreat1:
. Don't mind him trace him very well he might be in secondary sckul.
Lol @ seconday school.well for me, my last 3 interviews I did not do well cos tey asked tecnical questions pertaining to my field and I answered some and te rest no idea.Just ope te last one calls me back after all its a gradute trainee position
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 10:07am On Jun 30, 2015
@dacruz,

Thank u very much for ur wise words. U know, one can't help but begin to feel dat somtin is wrong with u when these employers continue to keep mute.
U sit for an interview, perform well but 6 months after u are still waiting and hoping that they at least say ok u did well or otherwise.
Its really nerve-racking.

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by tolutweety(m): 10:21am On Jun 30, 2015
Scrypt:

I will mention a few experts who can respond to your query with conviction. Some test taking legends, others interview legends. grin

Faith2.ogesco
Olutola.88
Marvellous.God
Tolu.tweety
cc.150615
Emma.ville

Boss, I'm honoured.

@beckybeky

Every test / interview has its uniqueness.
The way you prepare for one might not necessarily be the way you prepare for the other. sad

That being said, smiley

Keep abreast of the recent pattern and all devices of whatever test /interview you're called for by staying informed .
- Check out previous threads on the recruitment.
- Follow threads on the recruitment,and rub minds with those who could be of help (PM if necessary)
- Make great friends. STAY RIGHTLY CONNECTED.it helps narrow down what you have to do ,rather than reading amiss.
- Join the job section chatroom. They are a family ever-willing to help, PROVIDED THEY CAN. ( cc : davide470,ferdybaba,therealadonye,scrypt,cutetonye009,lero15 et al )
- Act smart with all resources at your disposal ( NEVER overlook or disregard any info, no matter how superfluous you think it might be.)

#NuffSaid

~I wish you the best in the next interview, go GET THE DAMN JOB ! !~

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 10:30am On Jun 30, 2015
tolutweety:

Boss, I'm honoured.

@beckybeky

Every test / interview has its uniqueness.
The way you prepare for one might not necessarily be the way you prepare for the other. sad

That being said, smiley

Keep abreast of the recent pattern and all devices of whatever test /interview you're called for by staying informed .
- Check out previous threads on the recruitment.
- Follow threads on the recruitment,and rub minds with those who could be of help (PM if necessary)
- Make great friends. STAY RIGHTLY CONNECTED.it helps narrow down what you have to do ,rather than reading amiss.
- Join the job section chatroom. They are a family ever-willing to help, PROVIDED THEY CAN. ( cc : davide470,ferdybaba,therealadonye,scrypt,cutenonso,lero15 et al )
- Act smart with all resources at your disposal ( NEVER overlook or disregard any info, no matter how superfluous you think it might be.)

#NuffSaid

~I wish you the best in the next interview, go GET THE DAMN JOB ! !~

Hmmm...
You're really an expert indeed.
Thanks.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by cyrilade(m): 10:36am On Jun 30, 2015
I had a very interesting experience too. I actually finished NYSC in 2014 and have been applying for so many jobs but no interview calls. I was lucky to be called for one at SOL recently and when I got there, I was told to talk about my self. I just go confused, shy and couldnt even say any thing. Pls guys, how can I break away from this?
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 10:55am On Jun 30, 2015
@cyrilade,

Go to google and search for information on interview. Also check out dis site, www.biginterview.com, its loaded.

I used to have dat problem of fidgeting during my fresher period as an interviewee, but with experience I've overcome it. I also finished my service 2014.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by sleeknick: 12:57pm On Jun 30, 2015
Do you find it difficult sleeping at night?
Join the discussion on my signature and share those things bothering you and depriving you of sleep. There you will meet other people with same problem and experts are there to profer solutions to those problems.
Join the train now!
Click on the signature below....see u there
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by ziezy(m): 3:33pm On Jun 30, 2015
At my last interview, all the interviewer wanted to hear was examples and illustrations of instances that have happened to me in life, i just noticed all their questions drives down to the core values of the company.

God helping me i remained consistent with my answers n d result was successful
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Benny4(m): 4:58pm On Jun 30, 2015
stepo707:

Lol @ seconday school.well for me, my last 3 interviews I did not do well cos tey asked tecnical questions pertaining to my field and I answered some and te rest no idea.Just ope te last one calls me back after all its a gradute trainee position

TITIS Right
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by stepo707: 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
Benny4:

TITIS Right
Yes oh
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by CHM11: 6:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
dancruz:
@ Op....
In life, you win some and loose some.... Maybe u havn't won the right one for you just yet. Its not always a problem of the candidates, so many times, d dirts in recruitment process makes a candidate feel less worthy, but in actual sense, backyard politics has been played.
For Some, management issues u probably ain't aware of delays calls. I have had an experience where after medicals, I was kept waiting for almost 2yrs, but got called eventually. Can't even begin to mention the other recruitment exercises I have been successful and still waiting to hear from HR.
So, my dear!!! Never u looked down upon urself as if u havnt done well....yes, I knw there are always rooms for improvement, but so many times, d real prob is from the politicized organizers!! But then.....Keep pushing, something good will get to u soon!! Cheers!!

Best post of the year.
Spot on.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by CHM11: 6:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Beckybeky:
@dacruz,

Thank u very much for ur wise words. U know, one can't help but begin to feel dat somtin is wrong with u when these employers continue to keep mute.
U sit for an interview, perform well but 6 months after u are still waiting and hoping that they at least say ok u did well or otherwise.
Its really nerve-racking.
I've been here dear, its not a nice place to be.
Most times its background politics.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Benny4(m): 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2015
stepo707:

Yes oh

I applied for same to but the interviewer looked surprised when I told him what I applied for, but still expecting a call Or text!!!
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by stepo707: 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
Benny4:

I applied for same to but the interviewer looked surprised when I told him what I applied for, but still expecting a call Or text!!!
I will get an updte 2moro.I know a guy working there
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Olutola88(m): 8:14am On Jul 01, 2015
Scrypt:

Faith2ogesco
Olutola88
MarvellousGod
Tolutweety
cc150615
Emmaville
Hello Madam Beckybeky,

I know you will pardon me for responding late to oga Scrypt 's call. It's actually a result of having a full plate, too many fish to fry these days.

I'll like to start by appreciating your ability to get several test and interview invitations. It means you probably graduated with a prerequisite requirement which is a second class upper division. Kudos to you if you can defend your 2.1.

Straight to an earlier post by Dancruz, the gentleman that talked about the ills in recruitment processes. To an extent he is right, but to a greater extent I wouldn't want you to have such at the back of your mind. Such mentality is not the best for high flyers, for go-getters, for the 1st among equals, for achievers, for people that have a strong gene coding for “success” in their DNA.

In Driving, each driver is advised to drive
like he/she is the only “sane” driver on the road. That is, every individual driver is expected to drive so carefully as if other road users( drivers and pedestrians) have mental disorder. Beckybeky, even if u don't drive, I know you know how to distant yourself from a mentally derailed person on the road. I know you won't be saying “shebi I was going on my own when he came to meet me”.

Same applies to hiring processes, treat every potential employer like a NOT “sane” person, like someone who doesn't want you to get the job, like someone who will be convinced beyond every reasonable doubt before giving you an offer. This mindset will in turn bring out the very best in you and before you know it, you start shining brighter than a diamond.

To the main business of this thread... I'll first say, be grateful to God Almighty(Atheists, my apologies) for putting you in a position where you have to complain of not getting feedback after tests and interviews. This is because millions of graduates out there don't even get invitations for test not to talk of interview. These category of people have been defeated by employers even before the hiring process begins. They graduated with 2.2, 3rd class but the potential employer wants a 2.1 and 1st class graduate. They are 27,28,29...years of age but the employer wants a 26, 25 and sometimes 24-year old graduate. To everyone reading this, I have a prayer point for you: Say, “I will never lose a battle before it begins”!

Beckbeky, I will like to be sincere with you, the truth is you are not yet there. Even me olutola88, the quack advisor, I'm miles away from being there. In due course, I will write some articles here on Nairaland to address this issue and other pressing ones in a holistic and comprehensive way.

Before you start transferring blames to some factors, you need to first ask yourself: “Am I the best I can be”? “Is this the best I can offer”? Conspicuously, you are far away from the best you can offer.

In our final year in the tertiary institution, our curriculum should prepare us for life after graduation( How to be the best candidate in the Labour market and how to be the owner/manager of the best business). Since our system is yet to make provisions for this, we have to help ourselves. Help ourselves real good!

The Nigerian labour market is not saturated but Super Extraordinarily and overwhelmingly saturated! And to survive, one has to be “Naturally Ahead”. Like Unilorin my Alma mater, you have to be “Better by Far” like an owl, you have to sit while others are sleeping, like an achiever you stand while others are sitting, like a go-getter, you should be outstanding while others are standing, like a high flyer you have to be stand out uniquely while others are outstanding.

Beckbeky, the 1st thing you need is a proper understanding of the Nigerian Labour market.

1. You should know the industries we have, how they operate, what they want and the kind of individuals they need to achieve their goals. You need to understand what is required and try to groom yourself to meet the standards of that industry you will like to work in. After that, you can narrow down to the company you are applying to.

2. After applying and getting a test invitation, research on what recruitment is like in that organization. I am not a Nairaland shareholder but I will confidently tell you that Nairaland is the number arena for such research in Africa. I dove my hat to the Veteran mentors here on Nairaland, God bless you all, God bless Seun Osewa and God bless Nairaland.

What test will you be taking? Gmat based? SHL? Work force? Dragnet? Baron Gmat? Gre? Or internally generated questions? You should understand that a job applicant might pass all 20 different Gmat tests he attempts and never pass one of 20 different Work force tests he'll attempt. So, like the Boys scout, “Be prepared”!

3. Immediately after taking test( even before getting a success mail) start researching and preparing for the next stage( A winner is always optimistic). If the next stage is Assessment Centre, learn what an AC is all about and prepare well. The truth is, a good actor will always excel in an Assessment Centre. If the next stage is an interview, you still need to research on what you should expect and make sure you prepare accordingly( you might need a mentor). I will discuss better when I have time to drop some articles here on Nairaland.

4. Always understand that the Labour market is choked, the competition is so keen, you will be competing with the best brains in the hiring process, with worthy 1st class products, with applicants that have US/UK/Canadian masters and are still young, with applicants that have very relevant qualifications etc. So, like Olamide the Nigerian indigenous rapper did after the release of “Eni duro”,you just have to step up your game else you will keep living in the shadows of these formidable job applicants. In Olamide's voice “I fell off after my 1st album, now I'm back again”

5. Learn to follow up your recruitment processes

Whenever you pass test and have waited too long without a response, the best thing to do is to check your mail box for the email address used in sending you Aptitude test success mail. You can then mail them and say something like:

“Dear Hiring Manager,

I sat the Akintola William Deloitte Entry Level Aptitude Test on the 13th March, 2015 and got a success mail on the 23rd March,2015. In the mail, I was made to know that I would be contacted soon for the next stage of the recruitment.

Unfortunately, today is the 1st day of July and I am yet to be contacted.

I will be grateful if I get a quick response from the HR as I am highly eager to be a part of the success at Deloitte.

Sincerely,
Obama Buhari.”

6. Learn to Network

Networking is different from what we call “connection” ( long leg) in Nigeria. Networking has to do with linking up or referring an “Eligible and Employable” applicant to a job Opening. There is a lot to discuss on this but time won't permit me this morning. Some researchers claim that 60-70% of jobs in the United Kingdom are gotten through Networking. A similar thing happens in Nigeria but most of us always think it's “long leg”.

When you apply to an organization, start looking for someone that knows someone working in the said company. When you get him/her, tell him/her you have applied to where he/she works and that you will want him/her to mentor you and also monitor your recruitment process for you( Networking) and not that you are expecting him or her to take you in through the back door ( long leg).

I have to resume work now. Have a pleasant day.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by gracealabs(f): 12:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
GRADUATE TRAINEE PROGRAM
3days intensive training program organized by Eleos School of Business and Information Technology

Who May Attend:
• Unemployment graduate
• Fresh graduate
• Undergraduate
• Youth corpers
• Graduate waiting NYSC
• Individuals who want to develop themselves.
Date : July23-25(Thursday to Saturday)
Fee : #5000
29 Adebajo Street,Kongi New Bodija Ibadan
Contact us on 08182178713 or Whatasap 08036449669
www.esbitschool.com, Email: esbit@eleosgoldenheritage.com
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 12:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
@olutola88,
Thank you very much for dat enlightening piece. Pls do make out time to share your experience here. We eally need it.
Meanwhile, I'd like u to talk more on Networking.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by timilehing(m): 2:22pm On Jul 01, 2015
Thanks to God, I've never been rejected on the two opportunities have had so far.
1st one was a recommendation & I scale tru but the man wan dey use me like pure water in the name of helping me....... I quit after 4months oo after 10k/month that doesn't take me to work for the month
2nd was a vacancy through a friend's link & I was called after interview to resume work. I'm still with them while hoping to develop with them while waiting for a bigger opportunity.

No regret mail so far & I'm not hoping to get one
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by tgmservice: 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
All will be well jobseekers as once a frustrated jobseeker turned enterpreneur I encourage new start ups by offering a free logo, absolutely free contact me on 08170736942 or www.tgmwebservices.com I also give web design services
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Beckybeky(f): 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
timilehing:
Thanks to God, I've never been rejected on the two opportunities have had so far.
1st one was a recommendation & I scale tru but the man wan dey use me like pure water in the name of helping me....... I quit after 4months oo after 10k/month that doesn't take me to work for the month
2nd was a vacancy through a friend's link & I was called after interview to resume work. I'm still with them while hoping to develop with them while waiting for a bigger opportunity.

No regret mail so far & I'm not hoping to get one

Good for you.
Some get it easily while others struggle for it, that's life for you! But don't fail to lift others if you have the opportunity to do so, if not you're going back to square 1.
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by fabiomatic(m): 10:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Beckybeky:
@cyrilade,

Go to google and search for information on interview. Also check out dis site, www.biginterview.com, its loaded.

I used to have dat problem of fidgeting during my fresher period as an interviewee, but with experience I've overcome it. I also finished my service 2014.
where did u serve?
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by ednut1(m): 11:23pm On Jul 01, 2015
the most important factor to me is confidence, bt where is a job seeker supposed to get that when ur scared of messing up or ur faced wit mean looking interviewers. eloquence and research about company too wud help. i commend jarus in his initiative tho. practising with the mirror also helps. some interviewers deliberately go hard on u to see ur reaction, always be calm. my first ever interview turned into a comic performance. they laughed so hard i knw i had wasted by tfare. another interview i was being fired bt i kept smilling even tho i was sobbing inside. it is welll ooooo
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by faith2ogesco(m): 5:44am On Jul 02, 2015
Scrypt:

Faith2ogesco
Olutola88
MarvellousGod
Tolutweety
cc150615
Emmaville
Jarus
who mentioned my name first,,,am coming
Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by faith2ogesco(m): 5:57am On Jul 02, 2015
For the tests, well it depends on who's setting it.If its d recruitment firm or the company itself..u HV to get as much info as u can so DAT u don't prep off point so much..As for interview,, mehn I ve had ma share of successes and failures o(thinking of writing my story). D thing is DAT always read bout d company n know deir core values and align any hr question ur asked with it..If its tech based, dats something else. Finally don't always think ur fully prepared.Leave room for surprises, so u don't get destabilized. Its all bout improvising in dere. And also don't forget to ask God for favor

Re: Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! by Princess042(f): 7:09am On Jul 02, 2015
a

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Plc Latest Job Recruitment / The Benefits Of Earning A PMP Certification / Latest Job Vacancies For Today 30th June 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.