Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:34 AM

A Poem About Soldiers In Doubts:open To Criticism - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Poem About Soldiers In Doubts:open To Criticism (646 Views)

Chidera Okolie Declares Her DM Open To Potential Suitors; Lists 10 Conditions / WEEP NOT WOMAN, A Picture Poem About Women facing Marital assault and batter. / A Picture Poem About Women! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Poem About Soldiers In Doubts:open To Criticism by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
Souls of honor

As the medals of honors
Were being hung on my chest
I began to shed tears of shame
For it were not ribbons being hung on my shoulders
But the souls of men I had killed in battle

The crowd thought they were tears of joy
As some began to cry with me
They could not read my the contents of my mind
To them I was a war hero worthy of medals
I had killed in order to protect them
In a far away land
Others were mourning at the various graves
For such they hung the medals of death
While confined to the recess of the earth

I looked at my loved ones
It could have been them
Had we lost the battle
I killed in order to protect my own
I justified the end by the means
Looking up into the skies brought no answers

Nations will go into battle
Due to the foolishness of immature leaders
Who had never learnt the art
Of constructive dialogue

I wondered if those
Applauding before me were enough
Justification to wipe away the guilt
Hanging from my shoulders
As more tears began to drop
These were questions that would haunt me
For the rest of my life

As my baby was handed over to me
Smiling at the cameras Ignorant of my tears
I wonder if he would have to kill
In order to protect me when I am old
I would have traded the whole world
For the opportunity of holding my baby

@copyright
Re: A Poem About Soldiers In Doubts:open To Criticism by nicholausian(m): 8:56am On Jul 01, 2015
I love this poem for being simple. When things that we want to say are important to us, we needn't mask them in poetic exuberance and language.
Beautiful prose poetry on a tacky sensitive subject, that can be argued for eternity. It's wonderful that the poet presents his argument in a subjective yet objective view. Perhaps, it is too safe a view.
Excellent poem nonetheless.

1 Like

Re: A Poem About Soldiers In Doubts:open To Criticism by Nobody: 11:18am On Jul 01, 2015
nicholausian:
I love this poem for being simple. When things that we want to say are important to us, we needn't mask them in poetic exuberance and language.
Beautiful prose poetry on a tacky sensitive subject, that can be argued for eternity. It's wonderful that the poet presents his argument in a subjective yet objective view. Perhaps, it is too safe a view.
Excellent poem nonetheless.
u dey make my head they swell...thanks for the review. I tend to write my poems in simple language and it has its pros and cons. Thanks again

(1) (Reply)

Complete Short Story: Jazz Music By Wittydude / What If There Was Never Tomorrow / Cherry And Banana Trees (A Short Tale).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.