Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) (35551 Views)

Car Hits LAWMA Worker On Ikeja Road, Lagos / Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) / As A Worker In A Construction Site, Can I Take Tramadol. Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Islie: 7:37am On Jul 01, 2015
Samuel Ogunkoya, a 26-year-old worker of Wempco Steel Mill Company, Magboro, Ogun State, has been killed after one of the pipes affixed to the company’s ‘actrus pumping machine’ fell and smashed his head.

It was learnt that the vehicle, which housed the machine, had developed a mechanical fault about a month before the incident. Some workers were said to have reported the fault, but the management allegedly told them to “manage it like that.”

PUNCH Metro gathered that the vehicle was eventually taken to a mechanic’s shop on Friday for repair and was returned to the company on Monday by the mechanic.

The machine was being used to mold concrete bricks when one of the steel pipes of the machine fell and landed on Ogunkoya’s head.

Our correspondent was told that the deceased, who hailed from the Ijebu-Igbo area of the state, wanted to pick the charger for the remote control of the vehicle when the pipe smashed his head. He was said to have been rushed to a hospital in the community, where he was referred to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja. He was reportedly confirmed ‘Dead on Arrival.’

Some of the deceased’s colleagues, who spoke with PUNCH Metro on condition of anonymity for fear of losing their jobs, blamed the company for Ogunkoya’s death.

They said three other workers, identified only as Jimoh, Samuel and Ibrahim, had died earlier in the year as a result of the management’s indifference to workers’ welfare.

One of them, who witnessed the incident, said the “hydraulic system” of the vehicle was long overdue for a replacement.

He said, “For almost a month now, the vehicle was releasing hydraulic oil. One of us complained to the management, but they said there was no time; they said we should manage it like that. We complained that the vehicle was not working well, but they said, ‘go and manage it or leave the job.’

“It was taken to a mechanic last Friday and was brought back on Monday. It was not tested before the production commenced. The machine has five pipes used for molding concrete. A worker and the mechanic were operating the vehicle. Four pipes had come. The fifth one was coming out when it suddenly fell and smashed his head as he bent down to pick the charger. ”

Another worker lamented the working conditions in the company.

“I have been working in this company for over five years. There is no welfare for the workers. Ogunkoya is the fourth worker we have lost to the company’s negligence this year after Jimoh, Samuel and Ibrahim. It was a forklift machine that smashed Jimoh’s body. He was passing by; unknown to him, a machine was being operated from the inside. The forklift pinned him to the floor. He died on the way to the hospital.

“There should be a hospital inside the company, where casualties can be rushed to, but the management are only interested in using us to make money,” he said.

A father of two, who also works for Wempco, said they were not only poorly paid, but were also subjected to dehumanising conditions. He said Ibrahim was electrocuted.

He said, “After we finished production sometime in March, Ibrahim was bathing on an iron sheet laid across the drain when a wire that passed through the place electrocuted him. He died on the spot. There is no bathroom for us in the company; no toilet. We excrete inside the bush. This is my seventh year in the company, yet I am still a casual worker. They pay us N15,000 every two weeks. If we have issues with our bosses, they may deduct N2,000 0r N5,000 from our wages. We resume work at 7am and close at 7pm.”

Another employee said they kept mum on the wages to avoid being sacked. “If they know we spoke with PUNCH, we are gone,” he added.

One of the mangers of the company, Mr. Abdulganiyu Abdulazeez, said the incident was blown out of proportion, adding that some workers were not safety-conscious.

He said, “There is no much response that I can give now. When anything happens, people exaggerate the information. That is what they (workers) are trying to do. As a citizen, I am there to protect the interest of Nigerian.

“When we see, I will tell you the true picture of things. In every organisation, accidents are bound to happen. Some of these workers don’t use their safety devices.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/wempcos-machine-smashes-workers-head-during-production/

Picture of the dead worker and the machine insert

cc lalasticlala

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by okenna1(m): 7:43am On Jul 01, 2015
rip to the dead

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by indiraserv: 7:49am On Jul 01, 2015
I pray the goverment starts to hold this companies accountable for negligence.

Sometimes I wonder what wrong I could have commited to be born here!

Inside Nigeria no value for Nigerian lives outside Nigeria no value for Nigerian life..

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by absoluteSuccess: 7:55am On Jul 01, 2015
Hmm I would have been sliced into two at this company 15 years ago. I used to operate the machine that sharpens the blade that slices the timber to veneer for plywood. One night, I was trying to use the crane (lever) to lift the heavy blade from the table to its casing by my foot, after dressing the sharp edge and oiling it so people on night duty can use it. Unknown to me, one of the two hooks did not key into the handle. It was payday and the chinese boy wont let me go at past 7, ooo. As I pull the simple lever to myself after lifting the blade, the blade fell off the hook and crash against the table but went in right direction instead of pinning and slicing me against the wall. Tua, the 'master' chineseboy on duty, rushed in to the workshop crying 'who won die tuna?' Sanayampi, I was just cold and dumbfounded! What a close shave with sure maim and death, a common occurrence in that slave camp. My colleagues said maybe God spare me for his purpose. Few months later, I quit. Mi o le wa ku ntori tenkobo.

100 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by shawnfamous(m): 7:56am On Jul 01, 2015
Lol d guy b4 d guy dat is b4 me is just saying arrant nonsense!

It happens! Just a work hazard!

I pray God gives his family d strength to bear their loss
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by 13regular: 7:58am On Jul 01, 2015
Abdulganiyu Abdulazeez is nothing but a thief! might even be the one manipulating that the machine can be managed that way!!

"I'm here to protect the interest of Nigerian"

U are there to protect the interest of ur fraudulent employers otherwise how will you explain the death of 4 people in a space of six months? U may even be the one deducting from the stipends your fraudulent company is giving them!!

Ur time is coming!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by ijustdey: 8:01am On Jul 01, 2015
“I have been working in this company for over five years. There is no welfare for the workers. Ogunkoya is the fourth worker we have lost to the company’s negligence this year after Jimoh, Samuel and Ibrahim.

The company needs to be investigated and if found wanting of these inhumane treatment..... It should be closed down ASAP.

It can't continue to loose people lives as if its animals you find in the bush

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by dre11(m): 8:05am On Jul 01, 2015
A father of two, who also works for Wempco, said they were not only poorly paid, but were also subjected to dehumanising conditions. He said Ibrahim was electrocuted.

They said three other workers, identified only as Jimoh, Samuel and Ibrahim, had died earlier in the year as a result of the management’s indifference to workers’ welfare.

They pay us N15,000 every two weeks. If we have issues with our bosses, they may deduct N2,000 0r N5,000 from our wages. We resume work at 7am and close at 7pm.”

This is what I call SLAVERY..... SLAVE TRADE

The company doesn't care about his workers but just to make blood money

9 Likes

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by dominique(f): 10:04am On Jul 01, 2015
The type of conditions factory workers work under in this country is just devastating cry

4 Likes

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Chitexs250(m): 10:18am On Jul 01, 2015
Factory workers in this country are all in Captivity. Rip to the dead.

3 Likes

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Aare2050(m): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2015
ona ofun, ona orun
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Bonapart(m): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2015
Sacrifice for promotion of the company....
Always learn to be prayerful
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Wendyslim(f): 10:27am On Jul 01, 2015
How many pple under 6months. Its questionable haba. Rip to the dead sadHow many pple under 6months. Its questionable haba. Rip to the dead

1 Like

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Gelengelen: 10:27am On Jul 01, 2015
[size=19pt] MOTHER OF GOD!

working in nigerian factory is hell itself. it is a slaughter house where hands, fingers, heads, eyes have all been removed. and the company will later dump u without compensation.

[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by MKO4ever(m): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2015

1 Like

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by sexaddict08(m): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2015
Olorun maje
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by alphaStoner(m): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2015
Gosh ! Soo sad
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by gbaskiboy: 10:29am On Jul 01, 2015
Jesus weeps
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by lonelydora: 10:29am On Jul 01, 2015
Was any safety measure violated? The problem with Nigerians is the "I dey do am like this since I enter this company" mentality when violating safety measures.

All the same, rest in peace.
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by deebsman1(m): 10:30am On Jul 01, 2015
eya sad
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by omanifrank(m): 10:30am On Jul 01, 2015
ok
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by kilokeys(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2015
Its high time safety is taken seriously

Naija we hail thee.. Dem tell us to go for training.. We go. The only safety procedure we follow is using condoms.
Most companies arent taking job hazard Analysis seriously.

1 Like

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by fatdon2(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2015
embarassed
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by ultrazone(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2015
pff
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by seedorfg(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2015
oluwa fori jin
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by writetopoker: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2015
Chaii dere is Godooo, na only u come break ur head!?
Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by seunlayi(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2015
PMB, WHERE HATH THOU? THIS MATTER CALLS FOR YOUR ATTENTION

1 Like

Re: Wempco’s Machine Smashes Worker’s Head During Production(Picture) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2015
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm 34 Years Old And I Bedwet. I Need Help Please / How I Lost My Childhood Friend To HIV/AIDS / How To Boost Your Sex Energy And Overcome Premature Ejaculation With Herbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.