Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,973 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas (1000 Views)

Meta Tags Analyzer / Google Apologises For Photos App's Racist Blunder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by dustydee: 8:36pm On Jul 01, 2015
Google has been forced to apologise after its image recognition software mislabelled photographs of black people as gorillas.
The internet giant's new Google Photos application uses an auto-tagging feature to help organise images uploaded to the service and make searching easier.
However the software has outraged users after it mislabelled images of a computer programmer and his friend as the great apes.
Google said it was 'appalled' and 'genuinely sorry' for the mistake.
The fault comes just over a month after Flickr's autotagging system placed potentially offensive tags on images including mislabelling concentration camps as 'jungle gyms' and people as apes.
Google launched its standalone Photos app in May, announcing a number of features such as automatically creating collections of people and objects like food or landscapes.

Tapping on a person's face was also intended to search for other pictures of that person in your collection.
However on Monday, Jacky Alcine, from Brooklyn, New York, spotted photos of him and a female friend posing for the camera had been grouped into a collection tagged 'gorilla'.
In a series of Tweets to Google he said: 'Google Photos, y'all f***** up. My friend's not a gorilla.
'The only thing under this tag is my friend and I being tagged as a gorilla.
'What kind of sample image data you collected that would result in this son?
'And it's only photos I have with her it's doing this with.
'I understand how this happens, the problem is more so on the why. This is how you determine someone's target market.'
His tweets triggered a response from Yonatan Zunger, chief architect of social at Google, who said programmers were working on a fix to the problem.
He said: 'Thank you for telling us so quickly. Sheesh. High on my list of bugs you *never* want to see happen. Shudder.'
However, even after a fix had been issued Mr Alcine reported two photos were still showing up under the terms gorilla and gorillas.
Mr Zunger later said that Google had turned off the ability for photographs to be grouped under that label to stop the problem.
'Lots of work being done, and lots still to be done. But we're very much on it.
Google launched its Photo app in May this year
'We should have a patch around searches turning up pics of partially obscured faces out very soon.'
Google has now issued an official apology for the mistake and said its image labelling technology was still in its infancy and so not yet perfect.
Previously some users have noticed photos of horses being labelled as dogs for example.
The company said Google Photos also includes a feature that allows users to remove results on incorrectly labelled images, which can help train its image recognition software to be more accurate.
A spokesman said: 'We're appalled and genuinely sorry that this happened. We are taking immediate action to prevent this type of result from appearing.
'There is still clearly a lot of work to do with automatic image labeling, and we're looking at how we can prevent these types of mistakes from happening in the future.'

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3145887/Google-apologises-Photos-app-tags-black-people-gorillas-Fault-image-recognition-software-mislabelled-picture.html?ito=social-facebook
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
that's racism.
I'm disappointed google were caught in the shameful act
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by spikesC(m): 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2015
Neyoor:
that's racism.

Go get educated, it will better your life
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by AirstarKane(f): 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
Awww so touching grin
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by spikesC(m): 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2015

after it mislabelled images of a computer programmer and his friend as the great apes.

That guy is defo not a programmer or the stupid intolerance of mankind has gotten in the way of his ability to understand what a 'bug' means
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by Jelo4kul(m): 12:56am On Jul 02, 2015
What a mess. Well no one is ever perfect
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by dustydee: 2:55pm On Jul 02, 2015
Neyoor:
that's racism.
I doubt if it has to do with racism.
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by decode55(m): 4:10pm On Jul 02, 2015
SMH.
Re: Google Apologises After Photos App Tags Black Couple As Gorillas by logica(m): 8:17pm On Jul 02, 2015
LMAO.

(1) (Reply)

Unlimited Internet / "Programming Teaches You How To Think" - Steve Jobs / Google Play Payments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.