Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,619 members, 7,955,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:14 PM

I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names (3005 Views)

Two Sisters Commit Suicide Over Rigid Religious Practices: (photos) / Weird Religious Festival In Bolivia Where They Decorate Skulls And Put Cigarette / Watch Another Religious Propaganda Film Against Yoruba Tradition: ITUSILE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 4:02pm On Jul 02, 2015
Hello Everyone!

I have made up my mind not to give my kids any European, American Or Religious names, but African names only.

And for those who might want to ask why I am making this decision?

I have gone under the sun and have yet to find a White man or a Chinese or an Eskimo bearing African names!

What are your takes on this?
Not that your opinion would have a bearing on my decision, but I just want to know how y'all feel about it!

6 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by MosakuAW(m): 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2015
It is your choice, nobody can query you.

If you like give them names like Chukwudi, Ekudeli, Odewunmi, Sangoteyin, Yaro, Magida e.t.c

Na your pikin.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by ArchEnemy(m): 4:04pm On Jul 02, 2015
It's a free world

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by sirthisthickkal: 4:05pm On Jul 02, 2015
Okay... But who cares? undecided
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
As your lordship pleases!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
sirthisthickkal:
Okay... But who cares? undecided

Am sure you do, else you'd have moved over& nobody would notice you
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 4:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
debolly:
As your lordship pleases!!!!
Thank You Milady!

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by sirthisthickkal: 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

Am sure you do, else you'd have moved over
undecided

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2015
I mean, I feel good when I hear the names of our best brains, as it comes with no foreign strains...

For instance;
Chinua Achebe
Wole Akinkoyi Soyinka
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Ngugi wa Tiongo
Enebeli Elebuwa
Fela Anikulapo Kuti

This is what our names should all sound like!
And not some;
'Christian Muhammed Jeferson'

Like slave trade aint over yet! Or we pepertually believe our own ancestors are sinners and so we have to bear the names of other peoples ancestors in the name of religion!

6 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by candycrushsoda: 4:43pm On Jul 02, 2015
U can start by using one for ur moniker.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

Thank You Milady!
You welcome sire.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by tpiander: 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2015
candycrushsoda:
U can start by using one for ur moniker.

Hm
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by bigfrancis21: 5:18pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:
Hello Everyone!

I have made up my mind not to give my kids any European, American Or Religious names, but African names only.

I have gone under the sun and have yet to find a White man or a Chinese or an Eskimo bearing African names!

Not that your opinion would have a bearing on my decision, but I just want to know how y'all feel about it!

That's a very good choice you made! My brother and sister all have Igbo names and no English names.

I would love to see more and more names like Nnamdi Chidi Okoye or Ifeanyi Arinze Agubata.

My first name is Francis but at my current job they call me by my Igbo name because I introduced myself to them that way and taught them the proper pronunciation. We should take pride in our native names.

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
I don't have any foreign names myself, something I'm very proud of... though, admittedly, I wasn't so proud of my two Igbo names as a child. I wanted at least one European name, like everyone else.

I wouldn't want any foreign names for my children, either. Just hope my future wife will be down with that. I haven't met many girls who are anti-foreign names. They all seem to love 'em. undecided

3 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by bukster(f): 7:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
If you plan on living in Nigeria having a foreign name doesn't make sense. It's better to be proud of your heritage.
If you plan on moving abroad, a foreign name doesn't hurt. It makes it easier to get jobs and it is easier for other people to pronounce. Most Asians abroad also use English names.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by olashas(f): 7:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
Cool
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by musicwriter(m): 7:31pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:
Hello Everyone!

This's the type of mindset Africans must begin to possess in these modern times. Anything bearing colonial signatures must be wiped off the land of Africa. The danger is if we continue bearing these foreign names, in 100 years almost every African name would've become foreign.

Few months ago, I went to the passport office to change my name officially to "Africa", but couldn't succeed because they said I have to provide proof that it's my existing name or a recent name change notice on a newspaper. I will pretty do that in near future. However, I've already taken that as my stage name- AFRICASON. Check it out on iTunes and Amazon.

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Ihuomadinihu: 7:32pm On Jul 02, 2015
I don't have a foreign name and my kids are gonna bear Igbo/Nigerian names,that is,if i marry a Nigerian. The problem is that Africans decided to cast away their culture cos they were told it was evil. Go to India and see if you will find people with foreign names,yet the same British people colonized both countries.

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by musicwriter(m): 7:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
bukster:
If you plan on living in Nigeria having a foreign name doesn't make sense. It's better to be proud of your heritage.
If you plan on moving abroad, a foreign name doesn't hurt. It makes it easier to get jobs and it is easier for other people to pronounce. Most Asians abroad also use English names.

Should we then do it because Asians are doing it?. Is that what you're saying?.

Colonial mentality is what Fela Anikulapo Kuti called "follow-follow". Now, Obama have legalized gay marriage in America. Should we now legalize gay marriage as well in Nigeria, because America have done so?. If not, why?.

Elite brainwashing is the last stage of mental slavery http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 8:02pm On Jul 02, 2015
musicwriter:

This's the type of mindset Africans must possess in this modern times. Anything colonial and negative must be wiped off the land of Africa. The danger is, if we continue bearing this foreign names, in 100 years almost every African name would've become foreign.

Few months ago I went to the passport office to change my name officially to "Africa", but couldn't succeed because they said I have to provide a prove that it is my existing name or a recent name change notice. I will pretty do that in near future. However, I've already taken that as my stage name, AFRICASON. Check it out on iTunes.

I don't know why we should bear their names when they don't bear ours?

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by tpiander: 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
musicwriter:

This's the type of mindset Africans must possess in this modern times. Anything colonial and negative must be wiped off the land of Africa. The danger is, if we continue bearing this foreign names, in 100 years almost every African name would've become foreign.

Few months ago I went to the passport office to change my name officially to "Africa", but couldn't succeed because they said I have to provide a prove that it is my existing name or a recent name change notice. I will pretty do that in near future. However, I've already taken that as my stage name, AFRICASON. Check it out on iTunes.

nothing wrong with changing your name to Africa. cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I don't have a foreign name and my kids are gonna bear Igbo/Nigerian names,that is,if i marry a Nigerian. The problem is that Africans decided to cast away their culture cos they were told it was evil. Go to India and see if you will find people with foreign names,yet the same British people colonized both countries.

We have to emancipate ourselves from the clutches of brain washing & mental slavery.

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by bukster(f): 9:16pm On Jul 02, 2015
musicwriter:

Should we then do it because Asians are doing it?. Is that what you're saying?.

Colonial mentality is what Fela Anikulapo Kuti called "follow-follow". Now, Obama have legalized gay marriage in America. Should we now legalize gay marriage as well in Nigeria, because America have done so?. If not, why?.

Elite brainwashing is the last stage of mental slavery http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html
I never said anything like that. I was just responding to the OP. He said that Chinese people don't have English names but many of them when they go abroad do. I was trying to correct the OP.

I have a traditional first, middle and last name as do everyone else in my family. I am proud of it and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm not really a fan of using foreign names and I plan on giving my future children traditional names too. Using a traditional name has its upsides and downsides. You get to show respect to your culture and ancestors but it can also mean that getting a job abroad may be a little harder or that your kids end up being made fun of if they live oversees.

My point of bringing up Asians wasn't to show that since Asians are doing something we should do it to but to highlight that using foreign names is not just a black phenomenon. Even many European who travel to the US end up anglicizing their first and last name.
I have never understood the point of anyone giving their child a foreign name if they live in Nigeria especially when there are perfectly good and beautiful Nigerian names that they can use but the whole western brainwashing is not just an African phenomenon but one that is felt all over the world to varying degrees. When we see someone or something that is doing well and is successful we try to emulate them even if at times it doesn't make sense to do so.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by musicwriter(m): 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2015
bukster:

I never said anything like that. I was just responding to the OP. He said that Chinese people don't have English names but many of them when they go abroad do. I was trying to correct the OP.

I have a traditional first, middle and last name as do everyone else in my family. I am proud of it and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm not really a fan of using foreign names and I plan on giving my future children traditional names too. Using a traditional name has its upsides and downsides. You get to show respect to your culture and ancestors but it can also mean that getting a job abroad may be a little harder or that your kids end up being made fun of if they live oversees.

My point of bringing up Asians wasn't to show that since Asians are doing something we should do it to but to highlight that using foreign names is not just a black phenomenon. Even many European who travel to the US end up anglicizing their first and last name.
I have never understood the point of anyone giving their child a foreign name if they live in Nigeria especially when there are perfectly good and beautiful Nigerian names that they can use but the whole western brainwashing is not just an African phenomenon but one that is felt all over the world to varying degrees. When we see someone or something that is doing well and is successful we try to emulate them even if at times it doesn't make sense to do so.

Ok, fine. As long as you understand we should copy "only their good side" and leave them with the bad side.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:56pm On Jul 02, 2015
bukster:

BULLSHYT!

learn from the Indians and Arabs.

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2015
yeah man. don't have a single foreign name I love it!! when I was younger it used to make me feel insecure but now I bear them proudly grin grin

different strokes for different folks. but I love my names, the meaning and history behind them that goes back hundreds of years.

many things in a name

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2015
Radoillo:
I don't have any foreign names myself, something I'm very proud of... though, admittedly, I wasn't so proud of my two Igbo names as a child. I wanted at least one European name, like everyone else.

I wouldn't want any foreign names for my children, either. Just hope my future wife will be down with that. I haven't met many girls who are anti-foreign names. They all seem to love 'em. undecided

yes! its funny how age and experience change things
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Ihuomadinihu: 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
Radoillo:

I am anti foreign names. I don't have any and i tried to know why i wasn't given any. I was told it's a family tradition not to give foreign names to kids. Admittedly,i tried to adopt a foreign name in secondary school under peer pressure. Now i know better.wink

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
bukster:

I would say that this is a transient phenomenon and it depends on the child. Children are made fun of for all kinds of reasons. If the child is able to stand and defend their name it will be better for them in future. If they are not, when they look back on it in future they will realise they should have been. All in all I would say that this is a positive challenge and preparation for the real, racist world. Every African needs to toughen up; we have let other cultures trample on us for too long. For some, this may be in the form of a native name

The parents would also be mindful when choosing a name in light of their current circumstances. For example, if you know the name youre going to choose is similar to a common swear-word in the country where you live, you may need to choose something else OR explain to the child what to expect, but still to have pride in their name and what it means
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
bukster:

No, at the bolded! I didn't say that!

I said I am yet to see Whites or Chinese bear our names, African names. And so why should we bear theirs for any reason whatsoever.

I am happy for your decision to also name your children African names rather than white names. Its our only identity& pride.

But
I must say that your excuse for bearing white names abroad to ease employment opportunity is lame!

Though I don't live in Europe but if a man like Chuka Umunna, the nigerian British MP who I am certain has never been to Africa nor speak any African language can bear two African names even when his mother is Caucasian then what excuse would anyone have to prefer white names over African names if not inferiority & mental slavery?
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 10:49pm On Jul 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I am anti foreign names. I don't have any and i tried to know why i wasn't given any. I was told it's a family tradition not to give foreign names to kids. Admittedly,i tried to adopt a foreign name in secondary school under peer pressure. Now i know better. wink

happy im not the only one who did this grin

there are mixtures of foreign and native names among my family. I think for us its just personal preference
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 10:53pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

But
I must say that your excuse for bearing white names abroad to ease employment opportunity is lame!

Though I don't live in Europe but if a man like Chuka Umunna, the nigerian British MP who I am certain has never been to Africa nor speak any African language can bear two African names even when his mother is Caucasian then what excuse would anyone have to prefer white names over African names if not inferiority & mental slavery?

you are quite right but I have to say that as an Anambra man Chuka got off very lightly when it came to his name grin maybe his parents took that into account when naming him that it may be harder for him in life if he bore one of those extravagant Anambra names

but even so Im sure would have found a way. so your point still stands

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mo Fe Jiggy-Jiggy / Tiv Marriage Culture / New Igbo Language Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.