Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,440 members, 7,954,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:19 AM

I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names (3002 Views)

Two Sisters Commit Suicide Over Rigid Religious Practices: (photos) / Weird Religious Festival In Bolivia Where They Decorate Skulls And Put Cigarette / Watch Another Religious Propaganda Film Against Yoruba Tradition: ITUSILE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Ihuomadinihu: 11:07pm On Jul 02, 2015
Gurgle:

happy im not the only one who did this grin

there are mixtures of foreign and native names among my family. I think for us its just personal preference
Lol. In recent years,it's now down to personal preference. But none of the kids born in the early/mid 90s and above bear foreign names.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 11:22pm On Jul 02, 2015
Gurgle:

you are quite right but I have to say that as an Anambra man Chuka got off very lightly when it came to his name grin maybe his parents took that into account when naming him that it may be harder for him in life if he bore one of those extravagant Anambra names

but even so Im sure would have found a way. so your point still stands

Yes we can all make sure we choose ones that are easy to pronounce or make a short version of it, so long its African & the meaning is not lost.

For instance, Chuka is a shortened version of Chukwuka made sweeter by shortening it to just Chuka. Another instance is Chinua Achebe, the chinua is a short for Chinualumogu which would have been difficult for non Igbos to pronounce in full but very easy when shortened to Chinua.

So I am encouraging that we also make our children's African names sweet & short by choosing them carefully.
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 12:41am On Jul 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol. In recent years,it's now down to personal preference. But none of the kids born in the early/mid 90s and above bear foreign names.

really? that's interesting. wonder what was behind the change in trend
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 12:46am On Jul 03, 2015
Karlman:

Yes we can all make sure we choose ones that are easy to pronounce or make a short version of it, so long its African & the meaning is not lost.

For instance, Chuka is a shortened version of Chukwuka made sweeter by shortening it to just Chuka. Another instance is Chinua Achebe, the chinua is a short for Chinualumogu which would have been difficult for non Igbos to pronounce in full but very easy when shortened to Chinua.

So I am encouraging that we also make our children's African names sweet & short by choosing them carefully.

Ok. I agree with you
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 05, 2015
Radoillo:
I don't have any foreign names myself, something I'm very proud of... though, admittedly, I wasn't so proud of my two Igbo names as a child. I wanted at least one European name, like everyone else.

I wouldn't want any foreign names for my children, either. Just hope my future wife will be down with that. I haven't met many girls who are anti-foreign names. They all seem to love 'em. undecided

Well...I am female
.....and these days feel like preaching even on the streets against foreign names
It is embarrassing......

Even if you have one, like I do....just repress it

Chai!
The only time I envy the male sex
The fact that they are the ones who have more marriage bargain power!

If I were a man, I would ask a woman to marry me under these conditions:
1. No white wedding...if in a church it will be super private, with just us and two witnesses...in a 6am or 6pm mass/service cheesy
2. No foreign names

I actually find it hard to believe people love dressing up in white and doing oyibo weddings
This is not a proposal ooo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2015
milychocs:

Well...I am female
.....and these days feel like preaching even on the streets against foreign names
It is embarrassing......

Chai!

1. No white wedding...if in a church it will be super private, with just us and two witnesses...in a 6am or 6pm mass/service cheesy
2. No foreign names

I actually find it hard to believe people love dressing up in white and doing oyibo weddings

LOVELY

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 05, 2015
milychocs:

Well...I am female
It is embarrassing......

Chai!

2. No foreign names

LOL. grin

I really don't mind a big white wedding though. In fact, I do not think I could avoid it even if I wanted to. My mother will have a heart attack, and my father will never speak to me again, if I talk about a small private 6pm-mass white wedding. Never mind what will happen if I say I don't want a white wedding at all. cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 11:20pm On Jul 05, 2015
milychocs:

2. No foreign names

whaaat I thought I was the only one who felt like this!

my parents didn't do a white wedding, my dad wasn't even present at the traditional

I don't care for that stuff at all at all haha

just need my village elders to drink something on my head and im out of thereeeee

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Gurgle(f): 11:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
Radoillo:

LOL. grin

I really don't mind a big white wedding though. In fact, I do not think I could avoid it even if I wanted to. My mother will have a heart attack, and my father will never speak to me again, if I talk about a small private 6pm-mass white wedding. Never mind what will happen if I say I don't want a white wedding at all. cheesy

hahaha grin

1 Like

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Abimbolaile(f): 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2015
African names are good...but last i checked Jacob, Francis, Daniel are religious names and they dont mean you are still confined to colonialism....you being colonized is a thing of the mind...lets get real
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2015
Foreign name gbakwaa oku! As a matter of fact,my baptismal name is Joseph but I changed it and adopted my great grandfather name. Now I don't have foreign name nor Igbo Christian name. As for my kids,tbey are gonna be more Igbotic than their father....Infact,they fit use Igbo answer Oyibo question.... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Same here, decision made couple of years ago, yet to marry but my kids shall bear (1) Osinachi (2) Chinweotito (3) Chibudom
Karlman:
Hello Everyone!

I have made up my mind not to give my kids any European, American Or Religious names, but African names only.

And for those who might want to ask why I am making this decision?

I have gone under the sun and have yet to find a White man or a Chinese or an Eskimo bearing African names!

What are your takes on this?
Not that your opinion would have a bearing on my decision, but I just want to know how y'all feel about it!

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 08, 2015
That's commendable. I actually created a related topic on this. No more

Wasiu, Emily, Rasheed, Steve but Olawale, Chukwudi, Olamide, Chidinma, Okopi etc
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
Abimbolaile:
African names are good...but last i checked Jacob, Francis, Daniel are religious names and they dont mean you are still confined to colonialism....you being colonized is a thing of the mind...lets get real

I have heard this argument before, and I'll ask you the question I asked first time I heard it: What does a religious name mean? Names specifically sanctioned by God?

What is so religious (God-sanctioned) about a Hebrew name that means 'holding by the heel' (Jacob), or an European name that could mean anything from 'a Frenchman' to 'a throwing axe' (Francis)?

See, there are no such things as religious names - at least not in the sense you are using it here. These are simply European names or Europeanised names of Hebrew origins that happened to be swept into Christian currency and which Africans and other converted peoples (unnecessarily) accepted along with the 'good news'.

Apart from being foreign, many of these names have meanings that are downright ridiculous. That they were borne by interesting characters from Christian history just isn't enough reason to brand them 'religious names' or for people who do not belong to the cultures that produced those names to bear them.

There was no rule in the early church that converts to Christianity had to adopt these 'religious names'. It just smacks of colonialism dressed in religious garbs.

I was baptised with an Igbo name, and its meaning makes more Christian sense than Lynda (serpent), Cynthia (Greek goddess of the moon), Dennis (from Dionysius, Greek god of Wine), Philip (horse lover), Silas (forest), and a whole bunch of other 'religious names'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
Nothing wrong with having a baptismal name but it's annoying when some people prefer to be addressed with their English/baptismal name rather than their Igbo names. A trend that I find very annoying and common with our Igbo ladies.I have a cousin who was born in the US,she's 32 and have visited Nigeria not more than four times but she prefers to be called 'Chioma' and not 'Jane'. Just like Ngozi Adichie changed her name from Amanda to Chimamanda.

OdenigboAroli:
Foreign name gbakwaa oku! As a matter of fact,my baptismal name is Joseph but I changed it and adopted my great grandfather name. Now I don't have foreign name nor Igbo Christian name. As for my kids,tbey are gonna be more Igbotic than their father....Infact,they fit use Igbo answer Oyibo question.... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Abimbolaile(f): 9:04am On Jul 09, 2015
Radoillo:

I have heard this argument before, and I'll ask you the question I asked first time I heard it: What does a religious name mean? Names specifically sanctioned by God?

What is so religious (God-sanctioned) about a Hebrew name that means 'holding by the heel' (Jacob), or an European name that could mean anything from 'a Frenchman' to 'a throwing axe' (Francis)?

See, there are no such things as religious names - at least not in the sense you are using it here. These are simply European names or Europeanised names of Hebrew origins that happened to be swept into Christian currency and which Africans and other converted peoples (unnecessarily) accepted along with the 'good news'.

Apart from being foreign, many of these names have meanings that are downright ridiculous. That they were borne by interesting characters from Christian history just isn't enough reason to brand them 'religious names' or for people who do not belong to the cultures that produced those names to bear them.

There was no rule in the early church that converts to Christianity had to adopt these 'religious names'. It just smacks of colonialism dressed in religious garbs.

I was baptised with an Igbo name, and its meaning makes more Christian sense than Lynda (serpent), Cynthia (Greek goddess of the moon), Dennis (from Dionysius, Greek god of Wine), Philip (horse lover), Silas (forest), and a whole bunch of other 'religious names'.

Really?! your colonialism is your mindset guy..there is no way a sane man would name his child a name he has no idea what the meaning is...anyhow whatever rocks your boat
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 09, 2015
Abimbolaile:

there is no way a sane man would name his child a name he has no idea what the meaning is...

Then it would appear there are a lot of insane people around. Because I know lots of people who give their kids names they have no idea what they mean: Sidney, Clinton, Clarence. Ask them what it means and they haven't the foggiest idea. As long as it's foreign and sounds nice, it's cool.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Abimbolaile(f): 11:15am On Jul 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Then it would appear there are a lot of insane people around. Because I know lots of people who give their kids names they have no idea what they mean: Sidney, Clinton, Clarence. Ask them what it means and they haven't the foggiest idea. As long as it's foreign and sounds nice, it's cool.

That's between the and their minds
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 2:02am On Jul 14, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

LOL

THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 2:07am On Jul 14, 2015
Radoillo:

LOL

LECTURE HER PLEASE

THIS ARE THE PEOPLE THAT STILL MAKE THE WHITES THINK THEY HAVE HIGHER IQs THAN BLACKS
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by Karlman: 2:13am On Jul 14, 2015
Abimbolaile:

Really?! your colonialism is your mindset guy..there is no way a sane man would name his child a name he has no idea what the meaning is...anyhow whatever rocks your boat

HOW COME WHITES DONT GIVE THEIR BABIES AFRICAN NAMES LIKE WE FOOLISHLY GIVE OUR BABIES FOREIGN NAMES?
Re: I Have Made Up My Mind Not To Give My Kids Foreign Or Religious Names by leederrty1997: 5:06am On Jul 14, 2015
Since you have your reasons and we are in a free world, carry on!
For Nigerian histories, culture and traditions, legends, places and lifestyle in the 70s: visit www.oldnaija. and thank me later.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Cosmic Egg In Which We Exist In (A Must Watch) Flat Earth Fully Explained / The Igbo Yam Harvest Culture In Relation To Biblical Laws / Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.