Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It (3630 Views)

"Consumption Of Suya, Isi-Ewu, Kilisi, Ngwongwo Killing Nigerians" - Adewole / Audu Ogbeh: Stop Eating Moi-Moi Made In Cellophane. / Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It [warning!!!] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It by Sirma1: 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
Suya as it is being made and sold in many places should not be eaten because of the risks and dangers associated. I will try as much as possible to explain this in very simple and clear terms. This is to enable even a layman read and understand the message of this post. I promise not to mention terms such terms as benz[a]anthracene, Fasciola hepatica and Taenia
saginata. In fact, forget I mentioned those three. All I
just want you to know are the risks and dangers associated with eating just any Suya.
What is Suya?
If you are reading this, you probably know what Suya
is. But by way of definition, Suya is a spicy skewered
meat which is a popular food item in various parts of
Nigeria and is enjoyed as a delicacy in many parts of
West Africa. It is traditionally prepared by the Hausa
people of northern Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger, and
some parts of Sudan.
Health and Safety Issues Associated With Suya
Consumption Forget the dirty environment and poor or zero hygiene conditions in which Suya is made and
handled in many places in Nigeria, there are other
dangers that are inherent in the consumption of Suya
– those that many would never know unless they are
Food professional or have come across an article like
this that explains it.
1. Suya and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) You know when they say Cigarette kills? It is majorly due to the PAHs they contain. Many Suya sellers make their Suya by burning all sort of woods and charcoal
to make their fire. Some even throw in such things as
plastics to make their ember burn brighter in order
to cook the Suya meat. Many of these materials
burning under the meat contain these Polycyclic
Aromatic Hydrocarbons — and do you know what
these PAHs do in the body after enough consumption
or exposure?
1. Some PAHs are chemical carcinogens (cancer-
causing compounds) while seven PAH compounds
have also been classified as probable human
carcinogens.
2. Some PAH compounds are mutagens. Mutagen is
a physical or chemical agent that changes the
genetic material (DNA).
3. According to a finding, reported in an article on
health.usnews.com, high prenatal exposure to PAH
is associated with lower IQ and childhood, asthma.
Sources of PAHs majorly smokes
2. Potential of contacting zoonotic diseases
A zoonotic disease is a disease that can be passed
between animals and humans. Since Suya meats are
generally undercooked and in rare occasions
carrying some blood on them, there is a chance that
one could contact zoonotic diseases from Suya.
Take for example, during the Ebola Virus Disease
outbreak, we were warned to stay away from Monkey
and Bat meats. There was also a stern warning to
always cook our meats very well before we eat them.
Cooking meat very well cannot really be said of Suya.
Other type of diseases that can be passed from
animals to humans
include, LEPTOSPIROSIS, BRUCELLOSIS, BUBONIC
PLAGUE, SALMONELLOSIS, etc.
Some zoonotic diseases can be passed from the host
animal to human directly while others can be passed
from consuming their products such as meat and
milk.
3. Beef Tapeworm ( Taenia saginata) This is commonly
known as the beef tapeworm – a zoonotic tapeworm. Like it was mentioned above, humans majorly get
infected by consuming undercooked beef. The infection is may come without any noticeable symptoms but heavy infection can also occur with attendant symptoms. Heavy infection often results in weight loss, dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, constipation, chronic indigestion, and loss of appetite. Heavy infections may cause intestinal obstruction in humans — this can be alleviated by surgery.
Suya can be very delicious and make a good delicacy
if well cooked and appropriate types of woods are
used for smoking. For example, it is advised to cook/heat the Suya meat to a safe internal temperature around 80 degrees Celcius or more. Avoid adding plastics or fuels such as kerosene to the fire to make it burn better.
Finally, let me say that eating moderate amounts of smoked meat (Suya) without charring to a safe, yet medium temperature should not not pose a problem.
Stay healthy!!

1 Like

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It by donholy28(m): 9:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
9ja babes no go hear wetin u dey talk sef...dem go still drag us to suya spot

2 Likes

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It by rhotimee(m): 9:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
Damn! With such write up u kon put that kind suya pics?? I feel like eating suya now undecided

1 Like

Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It by youngsky: 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2015
Abeg live suya ooo, dem never born me my granpa day chop wetin them use fire take roast eg like corn and suya, you con say make we no eat suya and you forget telling us what to eat in place of suya, is it fair mr writernoeatsuya.com
Re: Suya And Reasons You Should Stop Eating It by goldenhero(m): 12:51am On Jul 03, 2015
Bad market...abokis won't like this.

(1) (Reply)

New Stethoscope Cleaning Sytem For Doctors In Nigeria / Multi-millionaire Nigerian Doctor, Dr Titus Odedun Disgraced In The UK / Do Babies Fall Sick In The Womb?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.