Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog (819 Views)

Four(4) Things You Need To Know Before Getting A Dog / This HUGE Rat Bigger Than A Dog Was Found Near A Children’s Playground / Benefits Of Having A Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by iloriolushola(m): 10:15am On Jul 03, 2015
Have you been dreaming of getting a dog ever since you saw the reruns of the television classic Lassie as a kid? Or maybe you were fortunate enough to watch the original series. While your dog might not be able to save you week after week from a burning building, a runaway freight train, or the bottom of a well (and in the time it takes to finish a 30-minute episode, too), owning a dog can be a wonderful experience.

Here are 10 things you should know and consider before choosing your canine friend.

1. Dogs take up a lot of time and energy. Yes, they are rewarding. But if you live alone and work twenty hours a day, then perhaps a dog is not the best choice for you. Hey, there are always those super-cool robot dogs.

2. If you are not often at home, and you really want a dog, you probably should invest in a dog walker. You'd probably be wise to choose a dog breed that isn't especially needy, too. Check out PetMD's Breedopedia to select from a wide variety of breeds.

3. Any dog you get should be suitable to not only your lifestyle, but your surroundings. If you live in a shoebox apartment, then a large dog is not a good choice. You don’t want your dog to develop health issues, be bored, or destroy things. Large dogs really belong in big places with lots of outdoor space.

4. Consider which breeds are suitable for your region's climate, especially if you have a yard and want to keep it as an outside dog.

5. Puppies require the most work when it comes to house training. If you: (a) don’t want your things chewed up, or (b) don’t have the time or money to train the puppy, consider adopting an already housebroken, adult dog.

6. Make sure you have lots of chew toys available for your puppy and keep all expensive things (like shoes and clothes) out of its reach; the same goes for chemicals and medicines. Puppies like to investigate and try everything, so make sure there is nothing dangerous around for them to sample.

7. Get your dog vaccinated and spayed or neutered as soon as possible. Oh, and take your dog to the vet for its routine checkups. Your dog will thank you for it and live a much better (and longer) life.

8. Get a proper leash and harness for your dog. A leash too small or too large may hurt it inadvertently during its walking routine, or, worse yet, allow it to hurt others or get loose and run away.

9. Health insurance is a must. Consult your veterinarian as to your best options.

10. Regardless of the dog breed you choose, have fun! They say there is no better friend than a dog. We have to agree.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_before_getting_a_dog?page=2

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by tmv10(m): 10:16am On Jul 03, 2015
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 03, 2015
I hate dogs. I prefer cats smiley
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by AnnaDavis(f): 10:34am On Jul 03, 2015
Adore dogs! Thank you for an article!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by balomuyiwa: 11:01am On Jul 03, 2015
i loveeeeeeeeeeeee dogs
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by Prodeegee(m): 11:20am On Jul 03, 2015
Lovely piece...don't forget the dog walk coming up. Check my signature
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 03, 2015
misssclassy:
I hate dogs. I prefer cats smiley
cats? no wonder horror films dont scare u. I hate cats
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by decode55(m): 11:56am On Jul 03, 2015
Dogs; Man's best friend since time immemorial smiley
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 03, 2015
justified19:
cats? no wonder horror films dont scare u. I hate cats

I love cats. They are the cutest animals on earth.
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Getting A Dog by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
misssclassy:

I love cats. They are the cutest animals on earth.
for ur mind o... I see them like wild animals..

(1) (Reply)

My Babies Hit Nigeria Tomorrow / 1 Year Plus Male And Female Gsd's For Sale. / Rottweiler Pups, For Sale In Ibadan @ Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.