Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,662 members, 7,820,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes (1676 Views)

President Al Bashir “escapes” From South Africa / Charles Taylor Awaits War Crimes Court’s Verdict / Iran 'Is Ready For War' - Are we headed for World War 3 ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by vwvw(m): 2:51pm On Mar 04, 2009
The International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Sudanese president Omar Hassan al-Bashir on Wednesday for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur.

The decision against Bashir, the most senior figure pursued by the Hague-based court since it was set up in 2002, could spark more turmoil in Sudan and the surrounding region.

It could also hurt prospects for peace in Sudan and pit Western powers against backers of the Khartoum government.http://connectafrica./2009/03/04/president-bashir-indicted-for-war-crimes-in-darfur/
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by desgiezd(m): 3:20pm On Mar 04, 2009
I have always known that this kind of decision would come out. How could the man allow so many people to be wasted in that Darfur region and the several attempts he made to frustrate an international peace force in that area.

My fear now is that he might go berseck against the Darfur people.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by naijaking1: 3:24pm On Mar 04, 2009
It's high time they arrested and prosecuted Bashir and his Arab cohorts. Unfortunately, the ICC could not prosecute the likes of Othman dan Fodio and his followers in Nigeria. It's Darfur today, but yesterday, it was the Tivs, Nupes, and other northern groups that suffered centuries old raids, rapes, and murders from the Shehu and his followers as they sought to spread Islam by force.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by walata44(m): 3:31pm On Mar 04, 2009
All I hope for now is that the rogue leaders in Africa should support the judgement of the ICC.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by desgiezd(m): 3:34pm On Mar 04, 2009
walata44:

All I hope for now is that the rogue leaders in Africa should support the judgement of the ICC.

Will they? Have they ever done a thing like this before? They would rather keep silent foolishly.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by vwvw(m): 3:47pm On Mar 04, 2009
great decision especially since the AU and ECOWAS can't differentiate between the killer and the saint. forget about what Gaddaffi is saying the rest of Africa would gladly sit back and allow Bashir get the Charles taylor treatment. i wish to reiterate that the key to the end of the darfur crisis is what the ICC has done-get Bashir out of the way. Gaddaffi is one mad dog the continent can do without. Bashir is responsible for the senseless deaths of several thousand darfurians; the bulk stopped at his table 2 years ago for failing to provide cover for a dozen Nigerian peacekeepers who were bowdlerized at an outpost in Darfur by supporter of APC militia-a vicious rag tag group which is funded by Bashir. He is also responsible for funding renegade Joseph Kony just outside at the ugandan border. I suggest Bashir gets some lesson in Long-suffering something Muammar Gaddafi will all be too willing to dish out especially when he spent nearly 2 decades in economic and national limbo grin grin grin

@ desgiezd ; sorry dude this is a different kettle of fish-bashir is down and out
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Lagosboy: 3:50pm On Mar 04, 2009
I dont have problem with the ICC iussuing arrest warrant for Bashir but if it can do that for Bashir what is stopping them from doing that to Bush and Blair for the thousands murdered in Iraq, Afghanistan.

What is stopping them from issuing the warrant for Sharon, Ehud Barak and Olmert for the civiians they turned into orphans in Palestine , for the women they made widows, for the UN schools they bombed, for the collective punishment meted out to 1.5 million people living a 25mile by 6 mile radius. For the use of phosphorus bombs on civilian pouplation. Are these not war crimes?

Why have they not issued warrant against Putin for the atrocities against Chechnya and Georgia!

Why the selective punishment? Only powerless africans are been taken to the ICC apart from Milosevich and Karadich. The western leaders should be taken to court as well and tried , if innocent released and if guilty sent to jail.

Guantanmo is a war crime and against geneva convention so why no pusuit of Bush by the ICC. Some south american countries i think already dragged Israel to the ICC for war crimes we havent heard any progress yet.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by naijaking1: 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2009
@Lagosboy
What kin logic be dat?
There is no question the people you mentioned have had very questionable tenure, but the case against Bashir is digfferent/staggaring/overwhelming. Every African who wants peace and justice on this continent should support the effort to route the despots likes of Bashir. No need to throw in a diversion in the form of other evil-doers-out-there too. Let's get rid of the criminal in our neigbourhood first, before worring about the whole World.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by grafikdon: 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2009
We will be happy to sit back and let him burn. Never mind the opinion of some redundant African "leaders"
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Lagosboy: 4:59pm On Mar 04, 2009
naijaking1:

@Lagosboy
What kin logic be dat?
There is no question the people you mentioned have had very questionable tenure, but the case against Bashir is digfferent/staggaring/overwhelming. Every African who wants peace and justice on this continent should support the effort to route the despots likes of Bashir. No need to throw in a diversion in the form of other evil-doers-out-there too. Let's get rid of the criminal in our neigbourhood first, before worring about the whole World.

i have no problem with Bashir been prosecuted like i stated but i would also like the names i mentioned to answer for the crimes they committed. hundred of thousand have died in the iraq conflict and i want Bush and Blair to defend themselves before a law court as well. ICC is not for Africa alone. Why is Israel not been chased by the ICC for stealing of lands and illegal settlement in the occupied territories.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 04, 2009
@topic

Great news!!

Now, it will do Yaradua a whole lot of good by speaking and acting quickly on the genocide going on in the north before ICC issues lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Ibime(m): 5:32pm On Mar 04, 2009
This Lagosboy dey drink ogogoro!

They should lock Bashir up and auction his children out.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by grafikdon: 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2009
Lock him up and throw the keys into the Atlantic Ocean.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Lagosboy: 9:52pm On Mar 04, 2009
Ibime:

This Lagosboy dey drink ogogoro!

They should lock Bashir up and auction his children out.

ol boy wot of paraga i think say na paraga i take.

Wetin i write wey no sweet u??
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 04, 2009
Lagosboy:

i have no problem with Bashir been prosecuted like i stated but i would also like the names i mentioned to answer for the crimes they committed. hundred of thousand have died in the iraq conflict and i want Bush and Blair to defend themselves before a law court as well. ICC is not for Africa alone. Why is Israel not been chased by the ICC for stealing of lands and illegal settlement in the occupied territories.

those "hundreds of thousands" have died simply because muslims know how to do just one thing - kill each other.
You werent particularly calling for Saddam's head for the millions he killed before 2003 no?

Bush cant be standing trial because islamic militia think martyrdom shld be a national past time.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by MrCrackles(m): 10:09pm On Mar 04, 2009
Good they should be pick him up without timewasting! grin
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by RichyBlacK(m): 11:36pm On Mar 04, 2009
For failing to protect millions of Sudanese in Darfur and allowing hundreds of thousands to be murdered, Bashir must be condemned for crimes against humanity.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by RichyBlacK(m): 11:42pm On Mar 04, 2009
Lagosboy:

I dont have problem with the ICC iussuing arrest warrant for Bashir but if it can do that for Bashir what is stopping them from doing that to Bush and Blair for the thousands murdered in Iraq, Afghanistan.

What is stopping them from issuing the warrant for Sharon, Ehud Barak and Olmert for the civiians they turned into orphans in Palestine , for the women they made widows, for the UN schools they bombed, for the collective punishment meted out to 1.5 million people living a 25mile by 6 mile radius. For the use of phosphorus bombs on civilian pouplation. Are these not war crimes?

Why have they not issued warrant against Putin for the atrocities against Chechnya and Georgia!

Why the selective punishment? Only powerless africans are been taken to the ICC apart from Milosevich and Karadich. The western leaders should be taken to court as well and tried , if innocent released and if guilty sent to jail.

Guantanmo is a war crime and against geneva convention so why no pusuit of Bush by the ICC. Some south american countries i think already dragged Israel to the ICC for war crimes we havent heard any progress yet.

I agree with you that selective justice is unfair, nobody can dispute that! However, we have to start somewhere. We can't allow the chicken to escape because we couldn't catch the goat!
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by IFELEKE(m): 8:16am On Mar 05, 2009
it's a great news that bashir will finaly be brought to justice but sincerely i doubt the ability of The ICC to serve him the justice he deserves, they are just going treat him like a king and drag the case for eternity while the poor people he victimized and tried alienating will continue to suffer,
Justice should have come to him right at his door step, SWIFT AND FAST!
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 05, 2009
they should hang him
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Lagosboy: 9:11am On Mar 05, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I agree with you that selective justice is unfair, nobody can dispute that! However, we have to start somewhere. We can't allow the chicken to escape because we couldn't catch the goat!

You are right Richy we have to start from somewhere but me personally feel if we start from the head (which is Bush and Blair) then the whole world would know this ICC thing is for real otherwise it would always be seen as ICC to prosecute just Taylor and other africans except for milosevich,karadich. Dealing with the head of the wester world for impunity is leading by example and the whole world would think twice before any crime against humanity!!!

Bashir is a retard though and a killer as well !!!
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Bastage: 9:59am On Mar 05, 2009
And the first thing Bashir does when the warrant is issued?

He expels 10 aid agencies from Sudan. Agencies that are desparately needed to help the situation in Darfur.
All the while, his people dance in the streets in Karthoum.

I have no sympathy for Bashir or his supporters. Screw serving a warrant on him. Carpet bomb the North of the country instead. angry
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by ElRazur: 10:05am On Mar 05, 2009
Below are a quote of my reply from another thread. I am posting them as I felt they are relevant to the on-going discussion.

He is indicted already.

He can dance and play it down all it want. The point remains, there is a warrant out for him and it is only a matter of time before he is arrested. I dare him to come out of his country and see what happens. Former president who are more notorious than him all ended up in the Hague eventually.

It is a bold move by the ICC and I fully support it. This should be a warning to all current and potential head of states/president in the world:

I find it hard to understand how some one [lagos boy??] can try to compare this scenario to the issue going on in the middle east. That is like comparing apples and oranges - two totally different things in my opinion.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by IFELEKE(m): 10:20am On Mar 05, 2009
I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY THIS, ISSUING AN ARREST WARRANT IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO PUT AN END THO THIS MONSTER AND HIS GENOCIDAL ACTIVITIES, WHAT IF HE DOESNT LEAVE HIS COUNTRY?, THE WARRANT WILL JUST CONTINUE TO HANG IN SPACE WHILE INNOCENT PEOPLE OF DARFUR CONTINUE TO DIE, EVEN IF THEY GET HIM ARRESTED,THE KILLINGS WILL STILL CONTINUE AS LONG AS THE HAGUE MAINTAINS IT'S LEGENDARY SLOW PACED JUDGEMENT DELIVERY,
THE SOLUTION LIES IN A QUICK AND SWIFT END TO THIS MONSTER AND HIS CRONIES, JUSTICE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO HIS DOORSTEP IN KHARTOUM,
IT'S A PITY AFRICAN LEADERS DON'T SEE THE URGENCY IN THIS,
MY HEART GOES TO THE INNOCENT PEOPLE OF DARFUR,ONLY GOD KNOWS WHEN THEIR SUFFERING WILL END,
GOD HELP US ALL,
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by ElRazur: 10:22am On Mar 05, 2009
@LagosBoy

You speak from what I see as a clouded vision am afraid. Please tell me what war crimes George Bush and Blair committed? I will want a convincing answer from you if you can please. And for the record, I am not a Blair or Bush supporter.

Now you want Olmert and co tried as well for the problem in Palestine? Dude you are really not fair are you. What about the Israeli who have died as a result of rocket attacks by the enemy [not wanting to call them terrorist or militants you see] who fails to recognise their very existence? Or failing to recognise the Israeli aint one of the mandate of the enemy? Should the ICC issue a warrant for the enemy as well?

Look the point is, in a war zone Kids, children, women, the defenceless and innocent will die. Fact. That is why it is called a war and seen as a last resort.

As for the issue in Chechen I suggest you pick up a few non-biased book and read. Both sides are as guilty as each other.

There is nothing selective about the construct and approach of the ICC, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
You see bringing a charge of Genocide, Mass Murder or crimes against humanity requires proper poof - remember this is a court. Just because you think this people should be arrested do not mean it will be so. It took the ICC over 6month plus to go through the evidence before them an as this is a law court, things do take time. In the end, they judges felt the charges of Genocide will not stick and instead went for Crimes against humanity et al as there is over-whelming evidence.

All in all, I believe your views are biased and emotive.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by ElRazur: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2009
IFELEKE:

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY THIS, ISSUING AN ARREST WARRANT IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO PUT AN END THO THIS MONSTER AND HIS GENOCIDAL ACTIVITIES, WHAT IF HE DOESNT LEAVE HIS COUNTRY?, THE WARRANT WILL JUST CONTINUE TO HANG IN SPACE WHILE INNOCENT PEOPLE OF DARFUR CONTINUE TO DIE, EVEN IF THEY GET HIM ARRESTED,THE KILLINGS WILL STILL CONTINUE AS LONG AS THE HAGUE MAINTAINS IT'S LEGENDARY SLOW PACED JUDGEMENT DELIVERY,
THE SOLUTION LIES IN A QUICK AND SWIFT END TO THIS MONSTER AND HIS CRONIES, JUSTICE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO HIS DOORSTEP IN KHARTOUM,
IT'S A PITY AFRICAN LEADERS DON'T SEE THE URGENCY IN THIS,
MY HEART GOES TO THE INNOCENT PEOPLE OF DARFUR,ONLY GOD KNOWS WHEN THEIR SUFFERING WILL END,
GOD HELP US ALL,

It may not be the best way, but it is the logical thing to do. Sending in troops by any nation or body will be seen as meddling in the affairs of a sovereign state. The ICC tentacles reach far and wide, just remember this. Yes people will continue to die and at the same time you need to bear in mind that Bashir will have to rethink his tactics - which is what the ICC also aims for.

Whether he leaves his country or not remains to be seen. But as with all "colourful leaders" like him, they love to show defiance in the very face of it all. Hopefully this will work well to the advantage of the ICC.

PS
Please stop shouting - Typing in Capital letters equates to shouting on a forum. smiley
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by IFELEKE(m): 10:37am On Mar 05, 2009
We shall see were it goes,
African leaders can help by vocally coming out against the act with attendant sanctions backing it up, The way this thing is going,THE RWANDAN GENOCIDE MIGHT BE A CHILD'S PLAY,
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Afam(m): 12:36pm On Mar 05, 2009
And George Bush has not be arrested and tried for all the innocent people he killed in Iraq including an unwarranted illegal invasion of a sovereign nation?

These clowns at the ICC should better get serious as the level of hypocrisy and sycophancy is very high.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by IFELEKE(m): 1:12pm On Mar 05, 2009
[b](CNN) -- Sudan's president was seen smiling, dancing and speaking to a huge crowd of supporters Thursday, a day after a warrant was issued for his arrest on war crimes charges.

Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir waves to supporters in Khartoum on Wednesday.

The display of defiance came as international aid agencies were being ordered to leave the country in retaliation for the move by the International Criminal Court over six years of bloodshed in the country's Darfur region.

The streets of the capital, Khartoum, were filled with people who raised their hands in the air to cheer President Omar al-Bashir, who raised both fists defiantly in the air.

The crowd was filled with posters and banners featuring al-Bashir's face or the flag of Sudan. The one banner written in English read, "We are all with al-Bashir."

Al-Bashir gave a fervent speech to the crowd, denouncing the United States, its Western allies and Israel. At one point, the crowd repeated in English, "Down, down, USA!"

Music before and after the speech got everyone moving, including the president, who smiled broadly and raised his walking stick in the air. A camouflaged helicopter swooped over the crowd.

Don't Miss
Sudan orders aid agency expulsions
Warrant issued for president
'Killing will go on' despite Darfur charges
'They told me to kill, to rape children'
Sudan: More 'blood' result of genocide charge
Sudan calls meeting over 'genocide charge'
Angry but peaceful demonstrations took place in cities throughout Sudan on Wednesday after the warrant was announced, according to the United Nations.

Government air and ground forces conducted what the United Nations called a "show of force" in parts of Darfur, where the situation was "calm but unpredictable."

The International Criminal Court at The Hague, Netherlands, issued the warrant Wednesday for war crimes and crimes against humanity. It accuses al-Bashir of complicity in a campaign of violence against the people of Darfur, in the west of the country.

The United Nations estimates that 300,000 people have been killed in the conflict in western Sudan's Darfur region, and 2.5 million have been forced to flee their homes.

Sudan has angrily rejected the accusations and the indictment. Kamal Obaid, Sudan's state minister of information and communications, called the ICC a "white man's tribunal" and the arrest warrant "an insult."

It has told as many as 10 humanitarian groups to leave the country, and seized the agencies' assets, U.N. deputy spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.[/b]
=============================================
PATHETIC,

Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by ElRazur: 1:20pm On Mar 05, 2009
Just reading the news quote from CNN. Please someone explain to me what Israel got to do with this? I am guessing this is just a move to drum support from "Muslims brothers" who clearly cannot think for themselves once Israel is mentioned in any international crisis. God save us from men with tiny minds.
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by IFELEKE(m): 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2009
thats why i said it's pathetic,
Re: President Bashir Indicted For War Crimes by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 05, 2009
IFELEKE:

[b](CNN) -- Sudan's president was seen smiling, dancing and speaking to a huge crowd of supporters Thursday, a day after a warrant was issued for his arrest on war crimes charges.

Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir waves to supporters in Khartoum on Wednesday.

The display of defiance came as international aid agencies were being ordered to leave the country in retaliation for the move by the International Criminal Court over six years of bloodshed in the country's Darfur region.

The streets of the capital, Khartoum, were filled with people who raised their hands in the air to cheer President Omar al-Bashir, who raised both fists defiantly in the air.

The crowd was filled with posters and banners featuring al-Bashir's face or the flag of Sudan. The one banner written in English read, "We are all with al-Bashir."

Al-Bashir gave a fervent speech to the crowd, denouncing the United States, its Western allies and Israel. At one point, the crowd repeated in English, "Down, down, USA!"

Music before and after the speech got everyone moving, including the president, who smiled broadly and raised his walking stick in the air. A camouflaged helicopter swooped over the crowd.

Don't Miss
Sudan orders aid agency expulsions
Warrant issued for president
'Killing will go on' despite Darfur charges
'They told me to kill, to rape children'
Sudan: More 'blood' result of genocide charge
Sudan calls meeting over 'genocide charge'
Angry but peaceful demonstrations took place in cities throughout Sudan on Wednesday after the warrant was announced, according to the United Nations.

Government air and ground forces conducted what the United Nations called a "show of force" in parts of Darfur, where the situation was "calm but unpredictable."

The International Criminal Court at The Hague, Netherlands, issued the warrant Wednesday for war crimes and crimes against humanity. It accuses al-Bashir of complicity in a campaign of violence against the people of Darfur, in the west of the country.

The United Nations estimates that 300,000 people have been killed in the conflict in western Sudan's Darfur region, and 2.5 million have been forced to flee their homes.

Sudan has angrily rejected the accusations and the indictment. Kamal Obaid, Sudan's state minister of information and communications, called the ICC a "white man's tribunal" and the arrest warrant "an insult."

It has told as many as 10 humanitarian groups to leave the country, and seized the agencies' assets, U.N. deputy spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.[/b]
=============================================
PATHETIC,

these sudanese, i'm sorry to say are fked angry undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

UAE Court Rules Men Can Beat Wives / UK. Growing African Population Worries UK Prince ( Photo ) / TRUMP Rolls Out 100-day Action Plan, Vows War Against Illegal Immigrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.