Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time (2654 Views)

Griezmann: I Deserve Best Player In Europe Award / List Of English Premier League Champions From 1993 Till Date / Reason(s) For The Decline Of English Clubs In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Odunharry(m): 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
ARRIGO SACCHI MILAN OR PEP GUARDIOLA BARCA?

There’s no doubt that Sacchi’s Milan belongs to the best sides in history.
Starring Rijkaard, Gullit and Van Basten, and a host
of Italian greats like Baresi, Maldini and Donadoni, they dominated European football.
But so has Barcelona since Pep’s arrival in 2008.
So which of the teams was better for its time?

Barcelona vs AC Milan in Europe
Both Sacchi’s Milan and Pep’s Barca boys have won
Europe’s prime competition twice.
But in Sacchi’s days, the European cup was a
weakened competition compared to today’s Champions League.

First, only league winners participated in the European Cup. Today’s Champions League features all the great sides of Europe, including four teams from each of England, Germany, Spain and Italy.

In Sacchi’s days, many of the best teams were playing in the UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup.
Sacchi’s Milan itself was a participant of the UEFA Cup in the 1987/88 season – where they incidentally got knocked out by Espanyol.

Second, after the Heysel Drama, all English teams were banned from playing Europe between 1986 and
As a result, the European Cup was a smaller, shorter,weaker and less prestigious tournament than
today’s Champions League. That’s why between 1986 and 1988, small sides such as Steaua , Porto and PSV
Eindhoven could grab the trophy. It’s why Milan was
faced with the champion of Romania (Steaua) and Portugal (Benfica) in their two European Cup finals. Absolutely unthinkable today. But Milan’s biggest claim to fame isn’t just winning the finals, it’s that famous trouncing of Real Madrid .
But beating Madrid is hardly something
that can impress Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona, which
has
made a habit of beating Los Blancos.

In addition, Guardiola’sBarcelona have recorded famous victories over Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Inter, Arsenal (again),
Manchester United (again) and AC Milan as well as
over a dozen wins against ‘smaller’ sides. Milan’s list of victories is decidedly less impressive. But the difference between the two sides really shows
itself when we take a glance at the domestic leagues.
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Odunharry(m): 6:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
The Serie A was the world’s strongest league during
Sacchi’s era. .But if AC Milan really was the greatest side in history between 1987 and 1991,
surely they should’ve been a dominant force in their own national league?
Instead, they ended third in 1989 (12 points behind Inter), second in 1990 (behind Napoli), and once again second in 1991 (behind
Sampdoria).
Napoli, Inter and Sampdoria were good sides between
89-91. It’s not a disgrace to lose out to sides of such quality – unless you’re claiming the crown of “the best
team of all time”. Then, you’re held to a higher
benchmark. You’re expected to dominate all opposition – especially local
rivals.

Meanwhile, Guardiola’s Barcelona has won three La Liga’s in a row, in the face of a star-studded Real Madrid that is not just a better team anything Milan
faced in Italy, but is itself breaking records – and only lacks the recognition itdeserves because it
keeps getting beat by Barcelona.
It’s precisely Barcelona’s ability of simultaneously
dominating the Champions League and La Liga, that makes it, without question, a superior side to Sacchi’s Milan.

www.4dfoot.com/2011/11/24/sacchi-claims-his-ac-milan-were-better-than-todays-barcelona/
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Odunharry(m): 6:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogar , starboard, ibime, airbornelacer, A40, dmcdad, raumdeuter, elampiro, fredo, sailorxy, mrTA, usbcable, bimffo , pickabeau1, ajanlekoko, honeric01, sircumalot, dopejemi , nihilist, parrotibaba, leggo, jarus
AC Milan : Giovanni Galli, Paolo
Maldini, Alessandro Costacurta, Franco
Baresi, Mauro Tassotti, Angelo Colombo,
Frank Rijkaard, Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto
Donadoni, Ruud Gullit, Marco van
Basten

Barcelona : Victor Valdes, Eric Abidal,
Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol, Daniel
Alves, Sergi Busquets, Xavi, Andres
Iniesta, Pedro, Lionel Messi, David Villa.

the question is who was the better team during their time..
Nobody should compare individual players.

Their performance in Europe and their league is what should be considered
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by coogar: 6:40pm On Jul 04, 2015
guardiola's barcelona is the best team in the last 30 years. they redefined possession football. people would forever remember them as the tiki-taka team. what would you remember milan team as? catenaccio?? grin

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Odunharry(m): 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2015
In my opinion i will give it to Guardiola's Barca...talking about the quality of opponent they faced both in Europe and domestic competitions and their achievements..It not easy to dominate all Europeans powerhouse in the UCL
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Odunharry(m): 6:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogar:
guardiola's barcelona is the best team in the last 30 years. they redefined possession football. people would forever remember them as the tiki-taka team. what would you remember milan team as? catenaccio?? grin
lol..any day i will give it to Barca.
but Arrigo sacchi thinks otherwise
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by coogar: 6:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
Odunharry:

lol..any day i will give it to Barca.
but Arrigo sacchi thinks otherwise

[img]http://estaticos.sport.es/resources/jpg/3/3/milan-barca-dos-equipos-que-han-hecho-historia-1361202180233.jpg[/img]

if sacchi thinks otherwise after seeing the image above then he needs to be sent to a mental home.
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Bibidear(f): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
Mi o rojo,i give it to manchester united
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by SIRcumalot: 9:11pm On Jul 04, 2015
Am going with Milan simply cause they won the greatest Club competition back-to-back, something that hasn't not be replicated since.
We've since teams that achieved the Treble inter,Utd,Munich and Barca
chances are we'll see more.
What Milan did those two years never again,
And The UCL was stronger then, some dominant teams in that period have fallen off
not now when we can guess the semi finalist 80% of the time.
I already see Coogar mocking there "defence first" football because it isn't fun to watch,
well I'll like to see Messi "dribble" through that backline.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by raumdeuter: 1:47am On Jul 05, 2015
Guardiolas Barcelona would be one of the best teams of all time

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by parrotibaba(m): 7:48am On Jul 05, 2015
I think I'll give it to Guardiola's barca ,that team changed football
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:37pm On Jul 05, 2015
Milan it is for me. Can't really argue with anyone that goes with Barca though. It's a close one.

coogar:

That was Capello's Milan not Sacchi's.
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Rabin22: 8:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
Oh this a new thread and me too m a new member of nairaland
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Mcdowell: 10:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
parrotibaba:
I think I'll give it to Guardiola's barca ,that team changed football
I am with you on this.

Some peeps might see it as sentimental to choose Pep's Barca over Sachi's Milan because I am a Barca fan. But frankly, it goes more than sentiment. Its there for all to see.

Like Ronaldinho breathed live and fresh air to the game of football. So also Pep's Barca transformed how football is being played. A combination of beautiful football, coupled with a winning mentality. A formula that was beautiful to watch and also brought the goods (win matches). I can barely think of a better team than that team. Not just for their achievements in terms of trophies, but also how they changed the way football is being played, and how fans and pundits alike were marveled.

For me, I think Enrique's Barca is in line to rival Pep's Barca. Not in terms of beauty, but in terms of effectiveness. Enrique's Barca is an hybrid of Pep and Ryjkaard's Barca. With Frank employing a more of a counter-attacking style and Pep going with full-fleshed tiki-taka. Enrique's Barca is gradually becoming the best of both worlds. Handles possession like there is no tomorrow, with short triangular passes. Yet, deadly on the break. Something Pep's Barca really lacked, and a weapon his Barca had at their disposal but never utilised.

Well... I think its only a matter of time before Enrique's Barca usurp Pep's, that is if its not already done so. But at this juncture one thing is clear, Pep's Barca played the most beautiful football I have ever seen. But Lucho's Barca, in terms of effectiveness of tactics, surpasses him. If you do peruse on the stats between Pep's Barca and Lucho's, you would know Lucho's Barca beats it hands down. Matches won (50 vs 42), Goals scored, Goals conceded(lesser), Goal per game ratio, Win ratio, et al. The only notable edge for Pep would be ball possession.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed though and enjoy Lucho's Barca thrill us with dominance over Europe. Hopefully, it would surpass that of Pep for good.

#Mcdad

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Bimffo(m): 6:50am On Jul 11, 2015
You know the difference between Arrigo Sacchi's Milan and Pep's Barcelona.. It is Messi!! Greatest football of all time.. This guy is just Out of this World..

Remove Messi from that Barca's team Team and the Sacchi's milan will be Greater! RJIKARD, VAN BASTEN, MALDINI! Those guys were terrorists on the Pitch..

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Bimffo(m): 6:57am On Jul 11, 2015
Remove Messi and I will put RJIKARD'S BARCELONA team ahead of Pep's own. Once again, Messi was and is mesmerizing..

No Hatred towards Ronaldo, but Messi's left leg is better than both of his Legs.. cheesy 90 something fūcking goals in a Calendar Year.. shocked Please Never should I hear anybody Compare Ronaldo to that God of football..

NB: The only time when you are allowed to mention Messi's name is when You call Zeus, Hades and Poseidon.. He is not even in Hercules' group.. grin cheesy
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by parrotibaba(m): 10:50am On Jul 11, 2015
Bimffo:
You know the difference between Arrigo Sacchi's Milan and Pep's Barcelona.. It is Messi!! Greatest football of all time.. This guy is just Out of this World..

Remove Messi from that Barca's team Team and the Sacchi's milan will be Greater! RJIKARD, VAN BASTEN, MALDINI! Those guys were terrorists on the Pitch..

it's ridiculous to say dat Messi is d difference between Guardiola's barca to Rijkaard's barca or Sacchi's Milan ...has d same Messi changed Argentina? it's d team dat brought out d best in him not d other way round ,Guardiola changed d way football was being played n his team dominated for 3 fцcking years

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by Bimffo(m): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2015
parrotibaba:
it's ridiculous to say dat Messi is d difference between Guardiola's barca to Rijkaard's barca or Sacchi's Milan ...has d same Messi changed Argentina? it's d team dat brought out d best in him not d other way round ,Guardiola changed d way football was being played n his team dominated for 3 fцcking years

Oh, tell me how Bayern has fared in the last 2 season.. If Pep was that good, Y can't he pull the stunt he pulled at Barca in Bayern..?

Bayern went from Champions league Finalist to Losing Badly in 2 Years in a Roll..

and about Argentina, Messi has changed them.. 2 Major Finals in 1 Year?? Come On, don't be sentimental.. Messi has fared very well for Argentina.

Messi is the difference! where on earth do you wanna see a player that scores 90+ goal in a Calendar year.. A player that scores, dribbles, Have Accurate passes. Either Long or short..

Give me a Messi that is fit and 10 log of woods, and I will win a Trophy every Season for 6-7 years.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by parrotibaba(m): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
Bimffo:

Oh, tell me how Bayern has fared in the last 2 season.. If Pep was that good, Y can't he pull the stunt he pulled at Barca in Bayern..?

Bayern went from Champions league Finalist to Losing Badly in 2 Years in a Roll..

and about Argentina, Messi has changed them.. 2 Major Finals in 1 Year?? Come On, don't be sentimental.. Messi has fared very well for Argentina.

Messi is the difference! where on earth do you wanna see a player that scores 90+ goal in a Calendar year.. A player that scores, dribbles, Have Accurate passes. Either Long or short..

Give me a Messi that is fit and 10 log of woods, and I will win a Trophy every Season for 6-7 years.
u r still not getting it r u? b4 Messi scored all dos goals which team did he play in? in d two finals dat Argentina reached ,he contributed little to that ,Nobody cares what Guardiola is doing at Bayern ,we r talking about d team he created which changed football ,n in dat team features d best group of players ever to play football ,u can't just tag dat on Messi alone cos dat team made Messi d global superstar he's currently now ...I can tell u dat very few ppl knew Messi b4 2009 even when he was already a first team player at barca ,but Guardiola's barca pushed him n d likes of Xavi, Iniesta ,Pedro ,Busquets on to d global scene. Tata Martino also had Messi in his team yet he couldn't win a trophy at barca.Messi guarantees trophies when he has ninjas ready to support him in d team n a very good team at dat.Since first playing for Argentina senior team, d only medal he has is d 2008 Olympics medal despite playing with fantastic players all through ,it's d team dat brings d best out of gifted individuals.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by mcdreeezy: 2:38pm On Jul 17, 2015
Got to be Pep's Barcelona for me. Absolutely beautiful football with results.
Re: OPINION: Greatest Football Team In Europe From 90s Till This Present Time by raumdeuter: 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2015
Bimffo:

Argentina has more than that and how many trophies have they won? Or didnt Barca end trophiless last 2 seasons?

Messi shines in Barcelona we see people say Barca is nothing without Messi. Any team would win as long as they have Messi

Barca ends trophiless : We hear nothing

Argentina ends trophiless the story changes to Messi is nothing without Barcelona

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Espanyol Vs Real Madrid (0 - 4) On 2nd October 2011 / Breaking News: Ibrahimovic Joins Barcelona! / Man Utd And Liverpool: Which Is A Racist Club?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.