Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,413 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal (803 Views)

Confused Monkey Tries To Steal A Burger Through A Car Windscreen In South Africa / 3 Thiefs Caught Trying To Steal MTN Mast In Aba-see There Faces / (pics)when You Steal Akara And Police Parade You With Ak 47 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal by MrCounselor: 9:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
Apple and Microsoft were the early pioneers of PC with fierce competitions in the early 1980s and more ferocious competition in the early 1990s. These two companies would go on to duopolize the personal computing world, thanks to some events that I narrated in this piece. However, the two individuals at the forefront of these pace-setting firms were Steve Jobs* (and Steve Wozniack) and Bill Gates* (Paul Allen and Steve Ballmer) were all contemporaries, averagely age mates, college dropouts and impressively were in close contacts at some points and arch rivals/competitors.

You know the relationship between the remora fish and the shark? Apple and Microsoft were once like that to Xerox and IBM respectively. Y'know, in the face of a bigger enemy, small enemies tend to team up and after defeating the bigger enemy, they can begin to sort internal differences out (See PDP vs ACN,APGA,CPC etc).

IBM was the bigger enemy (showing interest in PC development being
a much powerful and financially influential corporation, though
much focused on mainframes) as pointed out by Bill Gates (even
though they had business ties before) to Steve Jobs in the movie
"The Pirates of Silicon Valley", this singular perception and
conviction by Jobs made him bring Gates closer to the much
performing Mac PC that was the "Casanova" at the point in PC
history.
Earlier, Steve Jobs once quoted the Pablo Picasso's infamous quote "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal", however, Bill Gates got closer enough to *steal* the new hot cake in that would create larger fan as well as change the fortune of the PC world from Apple Mac Computer. Mind you! Apple did not develop the mouse or its GUI too, it was acquired from another Shark (Xerox, a bigger company/brother as well) who gave it out to Apple like as a useless scrap (Xerox rejected it out of hand from her developers like a useless appendage). Call it ignorance and you can't be more correct. The remora fish (Apple) gladly grab it like a dustbin acquittance and turned it into the coolest thing any computer savvy individual can ever see back then.

Yeah, Apple copied it but Microsoft *stole (not actually stealing, came working with Apple like a wolf in sheep's skin)* from Apple. Now what baffles me was that, Jobs once use that quote to incite his developers and programmers to work better but was fuming when he learnt that Gates had reverse engineered the "mouse" and alas! There was suit and suit and suit... The actually worked together later, the rest you can check out for yourself.
The fact is, Some people only preach some ideologies, are they actually prepared for the reality whenever it come visiting? I believed he would have reasoned otherwise the next time he used that terrible quote. If you are smart enough you can always achieve anything, provided you are truthful to yourself. By the way, if you are going to "steal" as an artist, do it with integrity.
Disclaimer: I no talk say make u go steal o! lol.

I am a fan of these two great minds.
NB:
i). * = more vocal.
ii). = Reverse Engineering can be very legal provided you do not breach Intellectual Property Rights of the original owner/inventor/innovator blah blah blah!!!
iii). U are free to debunk any discrepancy found in this write Up.
...MrCounselor

1 Like

Re: Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal by robinicule(m): 9:22pm On Jul 04, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Mum Beats And Stabs Her Own Son This Morning In Lagos (photos) / CDS, Service Chiefs Shun Minimah’s Pullout / Lil Story For Drunkards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.