Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,075 members, 7,957,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:40 AM

Anti-gay Nigerian Bishop Appointed To Head Global Anglican Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anti-gay Nigerian Bishop Appointed To Head Global Anglican Church (645 Views)

Nigerian Bishop Jailed In London For Sexual Harassment / Anglican Church In Rome & Bible And Beer Fellowship Shocks Nigerian Lawyer / A Live Alligator For Harvest Thanksgiving In Anglican Church, Warri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anti-gay Nigerian Bishop Appointed To Head Global Anglican Church by Happiness87(f): 10:44am On Jul 05, 2015
An anti-gay Nigerian bishop has been appointed as the new head of the Anglican Communion.Dr Josiah Idowu-Fearon, the formerAnglican Archbishop of the Province of Kaduna, has been named the new Secretary General of the Anglican Communion.The Communion – of which Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby is Primate – has struggled inrecent years to reconcile the views of Western and hardline African churches.According toChanging AttitudeandEpiscopal Cafe, the body’s new head has a track record of anti-gay comments – savaging the consecration of gay bishop Gene Robinson at the Episcopal Church’sGeneral Convention in 2003.In a 2007 interview attacked peopleof “abnormal sexual orientation”, claiming African churches had been “cheated” and “deceived” by a shifting cultural acceptance.Outlets have also cited a report in the Nigerian New Telegraph last year in which he said it was “good” that the Nigerian government criminalised homosexuality – but the bishop strongly denies making those remarks.Bishop Idowu-Fearon said in a statement: “I have never supported the law in Nigeria that criminalizes the gay community and I will never support it.“For the majority of African Christians, the Bible judges culture,including African culture.“As African Christians we must accept other cultures and the way they also understand the Bible’s relationship with culture. I accept and promote a culture of respect for such differences.”Rt Revd James Tengatenga, Chair of the Anglican Consultative Council, added in a statement that reports “misrepresent and distort his comments” – continuing: “The views attributed in the article to Bishop Josiah do not reflect what iswidely known to be his position, both within Nigeria and amongst those who know him.”Campaigners have voiced concern at the appointment – though Colin Coward of Changing Attitude notes:“I have met Bishop Josiah twice and found him open to me as a gay priest and activist and far less obviously hostile than he is now being portrayed.“I have often wondered whether hismore extreme remarks were made to satisfy the deep prejudices of thecollective House of Bishops in Nigeria.”Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said: “I warmly welcome the appointment of Bishop Josiah and look forward to working closely with him in the renewal of the Anglican Communion amidst the global challenges facing us today.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/04/05/anti-gay-nigerian-bishop-appointed-to-head-global-anglican-church/

Re: Anti-gay Nigerian Bishop Appointed To Head Global Anglican Church by jantofubu(m): 10:53am On Jul 05, 2015
cry

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Prophets Always Delivering Messages Of Doom? / Are You Aware Of This In Yenagoa, Bayelsa State? / World's Oldest Quran Found At Birmingham University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.