Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,737 members, 7,955,807 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:35 PM

Greece Finance Minister Resigns Amidst Financial Troubles - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Greece Finance Minister Resigns Amidst Financial Troubles (432 Views)

Ben Roberts Resigns As Gambia's Finance Minister (photo) / David Cameron Resigns As Prime Minister After Britain Votes To Leave EU / Panama Papers Expos; Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Greece Finance Minister Resigns Amidst Financial Troubles by dammybravo(m): 7:44am On Jul 06, 2015
Greece’s finance minister, Yanis Varoufakis has surprisingly resigned from office after taking a strong stand in demanding that creditors write off some of his country’s debts.

The finance minister was a major player in rallying votes for a resounding “no” on a referendum on Sunday that asked Greeks whether they were willing to accept an arrangement with creditors that would require considerable further strictness, such as pension cuts. Mr. Varoufakis had threatened last week to resign if a “yes” vote passed, and his decision to resign after he and his allies prevailed in the referendum was surprising.

Mr. Varoufakis said in a statement on his website that he was resigning because Greece’s creditors had made it clear that they did not want to negotiate any further with him. “Soon after the announcement of the referendum results, I was made aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and assorted ‘partners,’ for my … ‘absence’ from its meetings; an idea that the prime minister judged to be potentially helpful to him in reaching an agreement. For this reason I am leaving the Ministry of Finance today.”

He called for the prompt conclusion of “an agreement that involves debt restructuring, less austerity, redistribution in favor of the needy, and real reforms.”

He included in his announcement a Parthian shot at his interlocutors in the debt negotiations, saying, “And I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride.”

http://www.dammydudu.com/2015/07/greece-finance-minister-resigns-amidst-financial-troubles/

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Declares His Assets / Germany To Lend Support To Caolition Against ISIS / Photos Of Three Suspects In The Belgian Terrorist Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.